PDA

View Full Version : Standard Blind Defense?

ChromePony
07-12-2005, 10:14 PM
I'm one of those trying to make the move to over 6 max, need some help with the basics.

Villian is 32/18/3 over 50 hands.
Im trying to figure out how aggro I need to be with A high.

Party Poker (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
Folded to SB who raises, Hero 3bets, SB calls

Flop: K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero bets, SB raises, Hero folds.

Final Pot:

bds
07-12-2005, 10:27 PM
Personally, I just call and hope to hit a pair because I am not yet good enough to figure out how to play post flop when I hit nothing. Your A high may well be the best hand. But, postflop I'm not comfortable with keeping up the aggression and find it's easier to call, fit and fold unless I have a strong read about how the other player plays post flop.

mperich
07-12-2005, 10:41 PM
Looks good/standardish

-Mike

IGMorton
07-12-2005, 10:47 PM
given the villan is quite agressive i'm definitely defending. it may be best to call down to the river with ace high, but it's a hard style to play.

because he's tightish i call here and rarely see the river unimproved if he keeps betting (only when the board is completely uncoordinated, unsuited garbage). but, the few times i do flop an ace (18% of the time) i make up for the times i fold on the flop.

an agressive blind stealer will usually bet till the river when you passively call preflop. when you flop an ace slow play it (viable strat because you didn't 3-bet him preflop). you usually make 1 SB on the flop, 2 SB on the turn and 3 SB on the river (averaging the times they call your river check-raise = 4 SB and sometimes they fold = 2 SB) + 2 SB from prelop = 8 SB.

EV for this play: .18*8 - .82*1 = .62 SB.

sure some of those times he will have a better ace. but this is offset by the times you pair your other card. in genereral, this passive-agressive style seems to break even... subtract your .5 SB ante from .62 SB and you are ahead .12 SB. this is fine IMHO, since you are at a positional disadvantage with a marginal hand.

wheelz
07-12-2005, 10:49 PM
I like usually just calling preflop, but you played it fine.

ChromePony
07-12-2005, 11:22 PM
Nice analysis, thanks.