PDA

View Full Version : Card Player on time???

BlackAces
07-12-2005, 09:34 PM
I got my July 26th Card Player in the mail today...the first time I've ever received it before seeing it on the website. It appears they've gotten a new Canadian distributor, probably seeing the need to improve their subscription service if they want to compete.

Anyone else finding that CP is coming earlier?

playersare
07-13-2005, 01:18 AM
they've also started to print mailing addresses directly on the magazine covers in a white box, rather than on a separate sticker. this probably helps automation as well.

07-13-2005, 11:03 AM
Is there any content difference between the actual magazine and the website? other than advertising? Just wondering what the advantages are of subscribing.

playersare
07-13-2005, 12:15 PM
I still have back to back free subscriptions running from last year via Pokerroom and Bodog. I probably wouldn't pay to renew it, though at the same time it works out to only $1 a week.

GreywolfNYC
07-13-2005, 04:50 PM
Mine arrived yesterday too. That's the first time I've ever gotten my copy in advance of the online version. I'm still amazed...

mottom
07-13-2005, 04:58 PM
I have not gotten mine yet. They seemed to get pretty timely a couple of months ago, but the last couple of months have been slow.

LLKOOLK1
07-14-2005, 02:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Mine arrived yesterday too. That's the first time I've ever gotten my copy in advance of the online version. I'm still amazed...

[/ QUOTE ]
me too...nice change

dirty moose
07-14-2005, 03:28 AM
is it worth paying for? or just reading it off the site?

LLKOOLK1
07-14-2005, 04:14 AM
There was a time when i missed 3 issues all together...normally delivery is pretty hot and cold, but this was a surprise for sure, i thought the next one would had greg raymer on it again, haha, /images/graemlins/wink.gif
-LL

BlackAces
07-14-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
is it worth paying for? or just reading it off the site?

[/ QUOTE ]
All the articles are on the site, so it's really only worth getting if you prefer reading the articles away from the computer (which I do).

Army Eye
07-14-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is there any content difference between the actual magazine and the website? other than advertising? Just wondering what the advantages are of subscribing.

[/ QUOTE ]

The one difference is every magazine has a bundle of 'classic' articles in the middle of the issue. Then again, maybe those old articles are available on the web site too if one looked hard enough. I'm not sure how deep their web archive is.

And of course, the other advantage is, who doesn't prefer reading a magazine as opposed to reading off a computer screen?

I was planning on letting my subscription lapse, only because I get the issues weeks after they've already been up on the web site. Unacceptable. We'll see if this trend gets turned around..

playersare
07-14-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The one difference is every magazine has a bundle of 'classic' articles in the middle of the issue.

[/ QUOTE ]
sometime in the past few months (I think when they switched to the flat-bound spine), they stopped doing the classic article reprints. one new feature I actually like a lot is the expanded photo galleries.

if you live in a big city and take lots of mass transit, it's nice to have a portable version of the articles to carry around for $1 a week even if they're available online for free. and once in a blue moon, an advertisement will be useful too.

BlackAces
08-16-2005, 02:06 PM
I take it all back. The issue I received on July 12 was the last one I received. Not only is the current issue two weeks late, it probably won't even get here before the newest issue hits the website.

Carry on...

08-16-2005, 05:54 PM
I got the newest issue with Jennifer Tilly(8/23) on the cover a week ago and it's yet to hit the website. This is the fastest one I've ever gotten.