PDA

View Full Version : JJ on friendly board

Xizor
07-12-2005, 09:04 PM
Hello

This is my first post but it's naggin' me so I thought it would be worth making a user for.

I can't get the converter to work so you'll get it manually instead:

Prima 50$ NL
I have ~60$ villain has me covered by a lot. He has been quite lucky up until now, but he is a decent player.

I get JJ in SB. Villain in UTG+2 makes it 3$, folded to me I reraise to 9$ only he calls.

Flop: 7 7 6 rainbow.

I bet 15$ he reraises to 30$

What do I do? I have seen people make these raises with pretty much nothing defending what they put in the pot.
As I see it I only have 2 options:

1. push
2. fold

I don't like either of them so what would you guys do?

jkkkk
07-12-2005, 09:13 PM
I would fold, I also would not re-raise pre-flop, what do you think you are dominating that is raising UTG+2?

My guess is he has a bigger pair than you.

Little Fishy
07-12-2005, 09:16 PM
I think i'd have only called this PF... raising to $9 out of the SB will only get overcallers when you're either dominated or up against AK AQ either way you really need to hit your set. I say simply call it. then bet out on any non A flop. if he reraises that then your action is really player dependent... if he's been stealing a lot then call and bet the turn if he's pretty strait foreward then toss it. if he simply calls then he probably has TT, 99, 88, overs that didn't hit, or some sort of draw... then of course you can play accordingly...

most of the time (in full ring games of course) I like playing hands like 99, TT, or JJ for set value (ie simply call pf) of course these hands still have the added advantage that sometimes they can take down pots unimproved, but i find i get real value from them when i hit trips, and usualy only take down small to medium pots without the set...

I'd like to see other responses... my advice would be to just call PF...

as the action went though a fold is most likely in order without specific reads

amoeba
07-12-2005, 09:16 PM
I like just calling preflop, on the flop I would check call then lead the turn.

deadmoney98
07-12-2005, 09:19 PM
I suggest not re-raising pre-flop, but since you did I think you have to push. Yuck.

Honestly that cannot be correct, because better hands call and worse hands fold, but just calling here is gross and folding is even worse. I actually think you are beat, but people do some crazy things at these tables, maybe you will get lucky and have him show you 10-10 or AK.

I hate JJ.

kingofswing
07-12-2005, 09:20 PM
With no reads, I push. I would expect AA or KK to reraise PF if they are good players. Only QQ would call here and have you beat. It seems like 99 or TT is much more likely. Also, the raise looks kinda of like a feeler to see if you do indeed have a bigger pair, not AA or KK trying to get it all in.

I agree that a call is bad as only bad cards can come, barring a miracle J. So I push, banking on him not having AA or KK and having played it poorly and maybe getting lucky and pushing QQ out of the pot and maybe getting a lower pair to come along.

Basically it really depends on whether your read is that this villian could raise PF without a big hand. If he's loose enough to bet out with a low pair, then it's an easy push.

I just can't see AA or KK from that line.

MTBlue
07-12-2005, 10:15 PM
I hate folding here. The minraise often times is a cheap way to get a missed ak to fold. What type of player is your opponent is he the type to raise a draw or a nut peddler? Will he continue bluffing on the turn or give up and check down? Does he minraise with weak hands or strong hands?

Nutpeddler- fold
Player who minraise with weak hands and will call large bets with weak hands- check raise the turn.

Player who consistently runs three barrel bluffs or semibluffs- check call down.

Player who will bluffraise the flop then stop-- check the turn fold if he bets, if he checks bet half the pot on the river and try to get paid off (fold to raise)

This situation is so player dependent that without any type of read it is almost impossible to play well. Hope it helps.

kevin017
07-12-2005, 10:34 PM
i can definitely see aa/kk here. the reraise to 9 gave him odds to stop and go regardless of the flop.

You got yourself messed here with the reraise. I think there is a chance here that he has a worse hand, but this is going down like aa/kk/qq and i would definitely fold.

NYCNative
07-12-2005, 10:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I get JJ in SB. Villain in UTG+2 makes it 3$, folded to me I reraise to 9$ only he calls.

Flop: 7 7 6 rainbow.

I bet 15$ he reraises to 30$

What do I do?

[/ QUOTE ]I don't think villain has AA or KK or he would have gone over the top PF. As for the hands I think he plays this way:

QQ - Loser
JJ - Chop it but obviously unlikely.
TT - Winner
99 - Winner
88 - Winner
77 - No way he raises here.
66 - Loser but does he really minraise your lead?
55/44/33/22 - Winner but increasingly less likely.
AK/AQ/AJ - Winner but increasingly less likely with each kicker downgrade.

So you are realistically only losing to QQ or 66 but wait a second... Would 66 really minraise? I don't think so unelss it's an elaborate trap play. He smoothcalls most likely because he already has a boat. If he puts you on a bigger pair, how can he worry about a two-outer? He shouldn't. He might, but it seems the least likely way to play the boat there.

I push it. If he shows QQ, okay. If he shows the boat, well, he set a trap and it worked. But really I see the minraise as an exploratory raise - the perfect raise for someone with TT, 99 or 88 to feel you out.

Push it and he turns over a smaller PP, I think, unless he folds (not sure about how much more it is at this point).

Xizor
07-13-2005, 01:30 AM
I pushed allin. I put him on QQ, TT, 99 or 88, AK maybe ocasionally AA or KK playing a bit tricky. I just moved up in limits from 10/20c (wtf am I doing playing like this when I just moved up in limit, anyway nvm.) on 10/20c I think 90% of all opponents would push or at least reraise preflop with KK or AA.

This guy didn't. He showed KK and I got no help and lost it all.
I am more and more not liking raising it preflop as a lot of you have mentioned. I should probably just have played it for set value and called a bet on the flop if I still had an overpar to the board.

Thanks for the responses, I guess I'm off to 10/20c to grind my money back hehe.