PDA

View Full Version : Two flopped sets beaten-did I misplay either

Casey
02-16-2003, 02:44 PM
Had a weird night at Canterbury 4-8 last night; lost flopped sets 5 times and still came out 2 1/2 racks ahead. Quite probably the best game texture I have ever played. 4-5 on every flop; if there was a raise it was either from me or one other guy. Two guys playing every hand till the river with any made pair or 3 outer. Life was good.

I am trying to figure out if I could have saved any money on these two hands. One of my biggest leaks is making thin value bets on the river and not folding to a river raise.

1st- good player raises UTG+2. 3 cold callers and I complete with pocket sixes in BB.

Flop J64 rainbow.
I bet, three callers.
Turn is a seven completes rainbow. I check, initial raiser bets, two callers, I check raise, called by everyone. River is K. I bet, raised by initial raiser. I call.

Q. Based on initial raisers play, I had him on a pocket pair, Q,K or Aces. Should I have checked the river?

Hand two-

5 limpers to me with KK in small blind, I raise, BB and everyone else comes along. Flop K68; two spades.
I bet, 5 callers,
Turn Red J,
I bet 3callers, Button raises, I Reraise, 1 cold calls two, two drop , my reraise is called by button. River 9 or clubs, I fire away again, get raised by the guy who just cold called two. Button also calls two. I make a crying call. Can I let this go.

I am pretty sure that button either has two pair or an underset. He has not semi-bluffed a turn draw yet. I figured the guy who cold called two for spades.

PokerPrince
02-16-2003, 04:42 PM
I don't see a problem with the way you played either hand. In both cases calling the river after being raised is the best move. Glad to hear you still left ahead after 5 sets got cracked.

PokerPrince

Bob T.
02-16-2003, 04:47 PM
I think your plays were fine on both hands.

Last fall, I posted several hands where I failed to bet the river with good single pair hands. On one of those hands, Dynasty said 'If you bet and call the checkraise here every time, you will still win more from all the extra bets you collect when you don't get raised.' I have found that that was good advice when playing top pair, and overpair hands. It has to be even stronger when you have a set, because you can't lose to two pair.

Ed Miller
02-16-2003, 05:11 PM
Neither of these river bets is even remotely thin. If you fail to bet in either of the situations, then you are making a large mistake. You should call both raises. Why is every other post on here lately, "can I lay down my big hand in a large pot on the river after being raised?" The answer now and every other time is, "NO!" /forums/images/icons/smile.gif