PDA

View Full Version : AQ after checked turn

Allan
02-16-2003, 02:29 PM
Online 2-4. This game has been typical until a few new aggressive players show up. The game texture now features some 3 betting preflop, some of which ends up HU and some of which ends up being capped multiway pots. The 3 bettor in this hand was one who had been at the table for a while and not aggressively involved in many pots. Previous to that the aggression factor from this player not high. My overall assesment of this player was not high.

I open raise in EP with A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif Q /forums/images/icons/spade.gif and get 3 bet by MP all fold and I call.

Flop is T /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 4 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif I check it gets checked through.

Turn is [T /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 4 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif] 3 /forums/images/icons/club.gif I check, MP raises and I 3 bet.

Comments on this play please.

Allan

J.R.
02-16-2003, 06:08 PM
I don't see this person folding to a turn three-bet in this pot, do you think you have the best hand, especially since you stated this player had not shown much aggression.

Bob T.
02-17-2003, 12:41 AM
I think that you are not likely to win this hand, and just ensured that you pay the most to see it through. I've seen your opponents betting pattern a lot lately, when they have a big hand, and want to extract one extra big bet from you.

02-17-2003, 01:23 AM
You said this player hasn't shown much preflop agression, he 3-bets you, then checks through the flop... this seems fishy to me. Most preflop 3-bettors will auto-bet on any flop, especially one this raggy. I think he flopped a set or has aces and is letting you catch up because this flop is not likely to have hit a pre-flop raiser. This suspicion is confirmed when he comes alive on the turn.

I'm assuming you meant to put in your post "I bet, he raises, and I 3-bet," not "I check, he raises, and I 3-bet."

If this is truly the case and a normally passive player raises you on the turn when the bets double, I can say that your 2nd nut-no pair is way behind and you can easily fold this hand to his raise. You took your shot, it's time to go away when you get raised here.

That being said, I hope my read is way off and your unimproved AQ is a winner.

Gavin

Tyler Durden
02-17-2003, 12:00 PM
I don't think he'll lay this down to a 3-bet. Did you consider capping it preflop?