PDA

View Full Version : AK 2-4, three bet?

Maier
07-12-2005, 05:46 PM
Hero has 800 in a 2-4 game on Party, Villian has him covered.5 handed. Villian is not very aggressive, kind of weak-tight.

Hero dealt AK on button, folds to hero,Hero raises to 16, Villian calls in SB

Pot( 34) Flop is K92. Villian checks, Hero bets 30, Villian raises to 90, Hero's action? Should I three-bet here since it does save me money in the event I am beat here. Is three-betting on this flop and not calling/turn-check-raising ever correct

How does this change if the flop is KJ2, two of a suit? Now do I re-evaluate if a suited card hits and he fires another pot bet?

jrforman
07-12-2005, 06:11 PM
Assuming this flop is rainbow (not mentioned as best as I can tell), this is a harmless flop for a set, especially five handed. The range of hands I would put villain on here is A/K, K/Q, K/J and maybe K/9 for two pair...Therefore, this is a common situation where your either way ahead or way behind...I would just call the flop raise and see how villain proceeds on the turn. Folding A/K here just seems to weak-tight and re-raising lets all inferior holdings out too easily.

Maier
07-13-2005, 01:29 PM
So When is a good time to stop and go turn and when should I turn-check raise?

BobboFitos
07-13-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

when you're out of position, as both are impossible here.

Maier
07-13-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

when you're out of position, as both are impossible here.

[/ QUOTE ]

so clearly you're advising me to use them both completely at random and equally. Should I turn-check raise if I am more confident about me being ahead? Should I be more inclined to stop and go OOP when a bad card hits? What about if the board is KJ2, two of a suit and the third hits? Does this become a stop and go or a check-fold without the ace of that suit? I guess I could also check-call and see what his river play is? What factors should influence my decision?

warlockjd
07-14-2005, 12:15 AM
When weaktight players raise you and you have one pair you fold, unless you have underrepresented the value of your hands on earlier streets, which you have not.

Maier
07-14-2005, 08:30 AM
I can understand the argument against unknowns to fold most kings against a raise and especially a check-raise on the flop, but folding AK in this situation seems somewhat weak-tight.I can understand this argument if you were playing short-handed and raised with K9 in pos and then got raised on a K82 board... but not with AK on the same board.

So, again my question, when is the time to 3-bet?

Also, OOP when should i stop and go and when is the time to turn-cehck raise. Should I turn check-raise when I am more sure I am ahead? Also, should the presense of draws on the flop make me more inclined to stop and go?