PDA

View Full Version : This guy accidentally owned me

cartman
07-12-2005, 02:59 PM
This previously unknown villain, who was 55/10 and I kept getting heads up when I was in the big blind. He would open-limp and somehow it everyone else would fold, even though most of them were >40 vpip. One time he limped and I completed in the sb, bet the flop and BB folded. You get the idea. I found myself four times in a short period heads up out of position against this guy in an unraised pot.

In spots like this against an unknown I typically checkraise with my bigger top pairs (say T's or higher) or better and lead out with any other pair or draw or sometimes Ace high.

Postflop in other hands, I hadn't seen anything particularly noteworthy out of him postflop other than he didn't fold much.

Four straight times I bet the flop and he called. Four straight times I bet the turn, he raised, and I folded. I had (in order of occurence):

middle pair no kicker
bottom pair
bottom pair
a gutshot

He owned me. The worst part of it is that I didn't know how to adjust to this. This really got my attention. It occurred to me that an opponent could have a great deal of success against me by simply calling every time I bet the flop and raising every turn.

Against non-maniacs who love to raise the turn I often just check and call the turn and the river after betting the flop if I have a hand that I want to showdown but that I don't want to be raised with (for example middle pair, decent kicker). I didn't feel like these hands were strong enough to take this line with, however.

Two questions

1)Is there something flawed about my default approach that makes me vulnerable to this?

2)How should I have adjusted?

Thanks,
Cartman

J.R.
07-12-2005, 03:29 PM
its not the same but its a similar situation and concept. consider checking
close (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2574689&page=&view=&s b=5&o=&vc=1)

djoyce003
07-12-2005, 04:00 PM
heads up I usually call down with any piece of the board. You might consider lead the flop, check call the turn, lead the river to prevent check behinds. If you have nothing, fold to the raise.

coffeecrazy1
07-12-2005, 04:08 PM
The only default move I have has to do with the size of my bet, not the way I play a certain hand. In fact, if I get the same hand twice in one session, I will play it differently each time if possible(that does not mean no PF raise with AA).

But...only four hands could have just been the guy had you that time. I dunno. Or, he figured something out about your pattern and was playing off it. If you think it was that, maybe check the flop, or c/r the flop, or something like that...do something different to see how he reacts.

Digs
07-12-2005, 04:14 PM
Yea, today I've given a good bit of $ to LAGs by calling down with any part of the board when they're raising me on the turn EVERY time.

They usually draw out though!

But yea, in all seriousness, I don't really know how handle these guys. I try to play back with hands that I'm not going to puss out on (i.e. no more Ace crap, stronger play with pocket pairs, etc) but it's not really working out for me.

Getting owned by TurboLAG is a terrible feeling /images/graemlins/frown.gif

baronzeus
07-12-2005, 05:59 PM
Your mistake is betting your gutshot against a LAG.

Also, check/calling the turn is highly, highly suggested by HPFAP in general. Even when you have top pair or mid pair, if you know they will bet, let them bet into you.

Have you read "The Psychology of Poker"? I think this is a good book for dealing with LAGs.

Victor
07-12-2005, 06:04 PM
i shouldnt post this:

someone limps. i check in the bb.

flop comes x x x.

i bet.

recent history can dictate different ways to play this but this is standard and well documented by many posters (stox, astro, bike) from back in the day. i have been doing it for 200k hands so far and shown profit.

cartman
07-12-2005, 10:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
heads up I usually call down with any piece of the board. You might consider lead the flop, check call the turn, lead the river to prevent check behinds. If you have nothing, fold to the raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean nothing as in no pair right? Are you saying that you would often call all the way down with bottom pair even if you are raised on the turn or river?

Thanks,
Cartman

cartman
07-12-2005, 11:44 PM
You mean that you autobet in this situation regardless of your cards or the flop cards, right?

Am I correct in assuming that you almost always fire again on the turn if you just get called on the flop?

Thanks,
Cartman