PDA

View Full Version : AA runs into scary flop

NickPoker
07-12-2005, 01:40 PM
Game Live $2/5 blinds, $300 cap, 10 players

Hero in MP with $375
Villain C/O has me slightly covered. The only info on the villain is that a few hands earlier I button raised his BB with K10s. He called the $15 raise with 35o. He hit a Q5x on the flop, and called by contuation bet bluff. Turn was J to give me outside str8 draw, we both checked. I hit a 10 on the river to beat him, he looked pretty irritated that I rivered him.
2 pieces of info gained here:
1. He will make a lose call.
2. He thinks I will bluff if I miss.
Additionally he may want to get some payback.

Preflop: Folded to hero, Hero leads out $20 with 2 Black Aces, only the villain calls. Right after I bet it I was thinking I should have bet more, but I didn't.

Flop comes Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Hero leads out $40, Villain raises $50 to $90. Your move, Fold, Call, or raise/push.

Atty
07-12-2005, 02:41 PM
The only plays you can make here are folding or raising all-in. If your all-in is called, you are either beat, or up against a strong draw. So personally, I fold and wait for a better situation to get my money in.

I don’t think you can simply flat call here OOP with no diamond. What card can come that would make you feel confident about your hand? If you do call his bet, what is your plan of action for turn? I think that your only plays on the turn are all-in, or check-raising all-in. If your intention is to go all-in on the turn, then why give him the extra card? If you check, and he moves in, or makes another strong bet, I think you have to fold. So why call his raise here with the high probability that you will be check-folding?

NickPoker
07-12-2005, 03:56 PM
I agree that this a push or fold. The only case for calling would be to see if the villain followed up with another bet, but being OOP I don't see this as optimal as you point out. I guess you can hope he is on a draw and doesn't bet the turn and that he doesn't hit his draw, that is pretty weak IMO though.

Go_Blue88
07-12-2005, 04:04 PM
this is such a small raise by villian on a board like that. Either he has a high diamond and isn't worried about another hitting, or he has AQ/KQ and is looking for info/making a play. I push this as i think he'd just call the flop with a made flush, and a set would raise bigger in my opinion. Looks like Ad, or AQ to me...

colehard
07-12-2005, 06:04 PM
Why would calling and then pushing a non-diamond turn be a bad idea?

This protects you from losing to Ad Qx or Ad Tx or str8 and flush draw combinations who may call the flop push.

amoeba
07-12-2005, 06:15 PM
I like calling and pushing a nondiamond, non Q turn.

NickPoker
07-13-2005, 10:49 AM
The downside of calling is that I would give him a chance to hit, a push should make a naked diamond draw go away.

djoyce003
07-13-2005, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The downside of calling is that I would give him a chance to hit, a push should make a naked diamond draw go away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not so sure, this guy makes loose calls and might be steaming a bit against you. I think he probably calls with a diamond draw. I'd prefer to push the turn because then he only has 1 card left and it's a much tougher call.

Atty
07-13-2005, 11:35 AM
This is true, but I still don’t like giving villain the card and being OOP. There are just too many cards that can come on the turn that improves villain’s hand. Also, the min. raise could be a bluff, considering he knows that hero makes continuation bets on the flop when he misses. And I doubt that a made flush min. raises here. So I think you might be able to push out a weak draw.

NickPoker
07-13-2005, 11:45 AM
I would want him to call a draw against if I push. He would be making a mistake. If he hits it that is the breaks.