PDA

View Full Version : Problem extracting downloads

Voltron87
07-12-2005, 12:19 PM
I've downloaded a bunch of spyware/ antivirus programs, but when I look in the folder where I downloaded them they just appear as the blank white icon with the windows symbol on them with a random name like "C3AJS3V". I double click them, and i get this pop up window "what program do you want to use to open this", and I dont know what to do. My comp is fairly new, and I dont think I have any stuff it or winzip programs. So I download a winzip program from downloads.com, same thing, cant open it. I have the winrar archive program, but I get an error message.

All the files I download come up in this weird format and I don't know how to extract them. What do I do?

Johan
07-12-2005, 12:50 PM
Hi,

There are a few possiblities here:

1. Something renames the downloads (unlikely), solutions is to rename them back to their original filename (the .exe one) and then try to start them.

2. (more likely) You don't have the required extraction tool. If this is the case, you most likely need a program called winrar. Download this at download.com.

Good luck,

I will check back later if it all worked out.

Johan

Voltron87
07-12-2005, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. Something renames the downloads (unlikely), solutions is to rename them back to their original filename (the .exe one) and then try to start them.

[/ QUOTE ]

that was it. problem solved. dunno why that happened, weird.

thanks.