PDA

View Full Version : Massive losing streak. What do I do?

Seijuro
07-12-2005, 12:14 PM
Evening guys.

I was 3.5BB/100 up after 10k hands on the PP .5/1 tables and thought everything was yanky doodle dandy but I hit a glass ceiling at 360BB. No matter how I play, as soon as I go up 360BB I immediately go on a 100BB losing streak (140BB and counting for the latest streak). I don't think online poker is fixed but this seems fishy to me.

I'm following the ITH starting hand tables and I think I play reasonably well after the flop (if a bit tight weak). How do I get through this & what do you do in this situation?

Any suggestions/opinions will be much appreciated.

http://www.mcnutter.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/loser.jpg

topspin
07-12-2005, 12:20 PM
You had a ridiculously good run of 5k hands between 5000 to 10k hands.

You're having a breakeven run of 9k hands between 10k and 19k hands.

This is the reason why people say it takes a long time to converge on your true win rate. Just because you ran hot to start doesn't mean you should be worried when it doesn't continue.

adsman
07-12-2005, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think online poker is fixed but this seems fishy to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. Party Poker has conspired against players who want to break the magic 360BB barrier. Particularly at 0.50/1. It's a big evil plot. My advice is to sacrifice a kitten in some unholy ceremony. That should fix it.

bozlax
07-12-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...what do you do in this situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

I plan to take a nap until the Variance Monster decides to leave you alone.

Nfinity
07-12-2005, 12:25 PM
Hello, welcome to the forums.

Be happy you are making it to 350+ BB before you hit your losing streak. Most people flounder around in the gutter(ie. Red Zone) for a while. If you want I can show you my graphs, you'll feel better.

Realize that downswings do happen. They are irritating, and they just generally make you hate life, but that's the game we play. The most important thing is keep looking for ways to improve your game, all the while not second guessing your skillz because you happen to be losing some money at the moment.

I noticed your using Hilgers' Hand Chart. Very nice. They are extremely elaborate and if you are following those and his advice you are well on your way to becoming a phenomenal player.

Have you had a chance to pick up SSH, yet? If not then I strongly suggest you go to the bookstore right now and pick it up. Hilger has some good advice but a lot of it could be the cause for you slightly weak-tight play post-flop.

bozlax
07-12-2005, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker has conspired against players who want to break the magic 360BB barrier.

[/ QUOTE ]

That explains the dark and sinister man that's been parked outside my house for the last three days....

Nfinity
07-12-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker has conspired against players who want to break the magic 360BB barrier.

[/ QUOTE ]

That explains the dark and sinister man that's been parked outside my house for the last three days....

[/ QUOTE ]

"Dark and Sinister man, Have at thee!!"

I think that's from Hook. I don't know why I remember that...

bozlax
07-12-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you want I can show you my graphs, you'll feel better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do they ever fall for this anymore, N? "C'mon up, I'll show you my graphs!"

Nfinity
07-12-2005, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you want I can show you my graphs, you'll feel better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do they ever fall for this anymore, N? "C'mon up, I'll show you my graphs!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Occasionally you have to throw on some Barry White before the are standing in a puddle of "I want Nfinity" wetness.

bozlax
07-12-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"I want Nfinity" wetness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Available now at finer salons and K-Mart cosmetics counters near you.

adsman
07-12-2005, 12:36 PM
Now for my nice post. First of all, that's not a massive losing streak by a long shot. I know posters who have run breakeven for over 60,000 hands, and these guys are excellent players. When you start to doubt yourself, poker can get very dangerous. That's when you start figuring that you're probably beat so you may as well fold etc. The best players play their same strong, solid game no matter if they're winning or losing. Do yourself a favour. If you're doing the following then you're too results orientated.
1. Checking the cashiers box after you win or lose a pot or after a winning or losing session.
2. Becoming emotionally dependent on the outcome of a hand, ie blissfully happy if you win, ranting and cursing if you lose.
There is an excellent chapter in Gambling Theory and Other Topics by Mason on this very subject. I recommend that you get hold of it.

topspin
07-12-2005, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're right. Party Poker has conspired against players who want to break the magic 360BB barrier. Particularly at 0.50/1. It's a big evil plot. My advice is to sacrifice a kitten in some unholy ceremony. That should fix it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Duh, the obvious answer is to cash out 100BB every time you reach 300BB. It's efficient, cash-flow positive, and kitten-friendly all at the same time.

Greg J
07-12-2005, 12:44 PM
You learn to handle each downswing better. When I hit my first downswing of a vast 80bbs I thought it was the end of the world. Since then I've has swings that dwarf that one.

It really does take some getting used to psychologically.

Don't obsess over yr winrate. Just keep playing and things will work themselves out.

beaster
07-12-2005, 01:21 PM
Same thing is currently happening to me, and it's been hard. I moved up to 0.25/0.50 last month and went on a massive 250BB win streak. Over the last week I've hit an almost 100BB downswing. A little disheartening, to say the least, but I'm determined to keep learning what I can do to be better. Lurking here has helped a great deal in addition to various 2+2 texts.

Last month I thought I crushed the level, and was already thinking of moving up to 0.50/1. I have the BR, but I want to prove to myself I can beat the current level. I'm not convinced yet.

Even though it doesn't seem to be going my way now, I still can't wait to play poker later. It's become a love affair.