PDA

View Full Version : adjusting your calling range against a known 2+2 player, $22's

Slim Pickens
07-12-2005, 12:14 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB (t860)
BB (t1400)
UTG (t625)
MP1 (t1185)
MP2 (t2190)
CO(t620)
Button (t1120)

Preflop:
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO raises all-in [t620] , <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls t520.

You are on the BB, and recognize CO's screen name as a 2+2 STT poster. You've got three other tables still going so you've only got that read plus the obvious TAG PT stats on him. What is your calling range on the BB knowing CO is perfectly capable of pushing all manner of crap, but picked this particular hand to push? He's not desperate yet, but could be soon. The blinds will still be 50/100 the next time he has to post them. Also, would you even lower your calling range at all knowing his pushing range is probably larger, or do you just steal the blinds of the donk to your left to make it up?

HesseJam
07-12-2005, 12:27 PM
I'd suspect him to push with almost any two. So I would move in with any pair, any Ace, K6, Q8.

The good thing here is that if the other guys are observant, they see that your calling range is low and that they may not dare to push a lot against you.

The bad thing is that they may suspect you to have low raising standards as well.

proell
07-12-2005, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd suspect him to push with almost any two. So I would move in with any pair, any Ace, K6, Q8.

[/ QUOTE ]

With nearly 7BB and 3 people behind I don't think he's pushing any 2. I think his push range is probably more like your proposed calling range. Even K5 and Q7 are probably -EV from CO.

In this situation I would not loosen up my calling range. If the blinds were getting ready to change it would be another story.

45suited
07-12-2005, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That still strikes me as way too loose a calling range getting just under 1.5:1. Losing puts hero down to t780.

Just because villain is right to push a broad range doesn't mean hero is correct to call this loosely IMO.

I'd say I'd call with AT+, 44+, KQ. Too tight?

Slim Pickens
07-12-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That still strikes me as way too loose a calling range getting just under 1.5:1. Losing puts hero down to t780.

Just because villain is right to push a broad range doesn't mean hero is correct to call this loosely IMO.

I'd say I'd call with AT+, 44+, KQ. Too tight?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that a loose calling range for BB is a bad idea. I probably put the correct range at 77+ rather than 44+ though, so even tighter. Even if his hand makes it somewhat +cEV, a call is probably -$EV unless he's got a very good hand. What makes you think Hero is the BB?

SlimP