PDA

View Full Version : calling down strategy

bodi
07-12-2005, 11:42 AM
when, if ever, is it correct to just call down (ie getting to/through the river as cheap as possible) in a standard 3/6 pp game?? i'm usually focused on being very aggressive so it's tough to switch to just calling down, and i'd appreciate any pointers.
i think one case is when i'm blind semi-stealing with a small pocket pair on an aggressive player, the flop is pretty ragged with an overcard, and the player check raises me...

SmileyEH
07-12-2005, 12:49 PM
If you are rarely calling down, then you have a big leak. You should be calling down when the play of your opponent is either consistent with a much better hand or a bluff.

-SmileyEH

bodi
07-12-2005, 01:18 PM
wouldn't calling down every time 'my opponents play is consistent with a much better hand' be completely incorrect? i don't understand what you're saying

SmileyEH
07-12-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wouldn't calling down every time 'my opponents play is consistent with a much better hand' be completely incorrect? i don't understand what you're saying

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think there is a good enough chance your opponent is bluffing you need to call down. If you either raise or fold then it will be easy to play against you because you will fold to many best hands.

-SmileyEH

jba
07-12-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he said a much better hand OR a bluff, didn't he?

check out smiley's latest thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2846682&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1)

notice his opponent's play is consistent with either a much better hand OR a bluff.

SmileyEH
07-12-2005, 01:25 PM
Heh, villian's hand is also consistent with a good worse hand too /images/graemlins/wink.gif

-SmileyEH

Malcom Reynolds
07-12-2005, 01:39 PM
Folded to you on the button with A5s. You raise and aggresive BB 3-bets. Flop A83r. He bets. You call down.

You post in the CO with 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif5/images/graemlins/spade.gif. Folded to you and you raise. SB calls and BB folds. SB is very loose and passive with draws, overaggro with made hands. He would never bet a draw and would 3-bet any pair, heads up. Flop is A/images/graemlins/spade.gifT/images/graemlins/diamond.gif3/images/graemlins/spade.gif. He bets. You should call, and also call the turn unimproved.

bodi
07-12-2005, 01:53 PM
so it looks like the call down play can be made with more confidence when a. the villian is aggro, b. you actually have a hand..
i felt like one of my leaks was calling raises down too much postflop when i raise preflop with overcards and missing. i think that situation is a different story

flair1239
07-12-2005, 01:56 PM
Some general thoughts:

1. Against predictable or passive players be less likely to call down.

2. Aganst Agreesive or unpredictable players be more likely to call down.

3. The bigger the pot the more you should consider calling down.

4. You should consider calling down more often HU then 3 to multiway.

5. You need to be careful about calling down in the name of seeing a showdown. Many times the pot will be such a size that the EV between folding or calling down will be very close. You are not a huge loser with no future if you happen to get bluffed out of the the occasional 4-5BB pot.

6. Try to give some thought to how often you have to be right. for instance 4BB pot on turn, one BB to you. You will have to call a turn bet and maybe a river bet so your effective odds are between 2.5-1 and 4-1.