PDA

View Full Version : My hands from tonight, long and boring

Vehn
02-16-2003, 12:58 AM
Following (ripping off) Clarkmeister's idea to post all of his key hands from his session, here's mine from tonight.

$8/$16 at Canterbury Park. Decent table with plenty of regulars who play weak tightish. I arrive at the table at 4:15 in the afternoon.

Hand #1 - 4:30 - I am in the CO and 3-bet a well known maniac with Qc9c. Unknown BB calls. Flop comes Qx 8c 6c, its checked to me, I bet, both call. Turn is Tx, checked to me I bet both call. River is an offsuit ace, checked to me I check, BB shows 87s, maniac mucks and I take it.

Hand #2 - 4:45 - exact same preflop action as #1 except I have QJo and both blinds call. Flop comes Ax 6s 3s, SB bets BB folds maniac calls and I fold.

Maniac leaves for $15/$30 at 4:50.

Hand #3 - 5:00 - 2 limpers and I check in the BB with 96o. Flop comes 8 7 4 rainbow, I bet and get one caller. Turn is a J, I bet and he calls. River is a 2, I bet and he calls with pocket sixes. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Hand #4 - 5:02 - 3 limpers and I raise from the SB with KK. Flop comes J 9 8 rainbow, I bet and get one caller. Turn is a Q, I bet and he calls. River is a 4 and we both check and he shows KJ and I take it.

Hand #5 - 5:40 - 2 limpers and I call in the SB with Q9s. Flop comes Q T 8 rainbow, its checked to button who bets, I checkraise, other 2 fold and he calls. Turn is a 4 putting 2 clubs on board, I bet and he calls. River is the 9 of clubs, I bet, button raises, I call and he shows Ac5c and takes it.

Hand #6 - 6:00 - I raise 2 limpers in the cutoff with 99, button and 1 blind calls. Flop is K 6 5 rainbow, checked to me, I bet, only an EP calls. Turn is an A, EP checks I bet EP folds.

Hand #7 - 6:15 - unknown UTG limps, LP limps, I raise from my BB with TT. UTG limp reraises and LP folds, I call. Flop is K 9 5, I bet, UTG raises, and I fold.

Hand #8 - 6:45 - Fish raises, gets 4 callers, I 3 bet in BB with AcKc, fish 4 bets all in, someone gratuatiously caps, 6 way for 5 small bets. Flop: A 3 2 rainbow, I bet and get 2 callers. Turn is another 3, I bet, MP raises, LP folds and I call. River is a 7, I check, MP turns over 54s.

Hand #9 - 7:15 - 3 limpers and I check in the BB with 2 black jacks. Flop is T 2 2 with 2 spades. I bet, MP raises, LP coldcalls and I call. Turn is the 6 of spades, I check, MP bets, LP calls, I checkraise and both call. River is an offsuit 6, I bet and both fold. For some reason I flip over my cards (which I almost never do) and MP goes ballistic saying he folded a flush.

Hand #10 - 7:45 - I raise one limper with AK and we are heads up. Flop is T 9 6 rainbow, limper checks and calls. Turn is a 4, limper checks and calls. River is a deuce, we both check and the limper shows 98s and takes it.

Hand #11 - 8:05 - I open raise in MP with KQo. Only an LP fish calls. Flop is J T 3 rainbow, I bet and he calls. Turn is another 3, I bet and he calls. River is an ace, I bet and he folds.

Hand #12 - 8:45 - I limp UTG (boo) with QJs. Fish raises from LP and the SB calls. Flop is J 9 5 with a flush draw, not mine. SB checks, I check, fish bets, SB calls, I checkraise and both call. Turn is a Q completing the flush draw, SB checks, I bet, fish folds and SB calls. River is an offsuit 4, SB checks/calls/mucks and I take it.

Hand #13 - 9:05 - Fish raises in EP, 2 coldcallers, I call in my SB with KhQc, BB calls. Flop is Kx 6h 4h, I bet, fish calls, LP raises, aggressive button 3-bets, I 4-bet, fish folds and LP and button call. Turn is the ace of hearts, I bet, LP calls, button raises and we both call. River is the jack of diamonds, I check, LP checks, button turns over Qh2h for 2nd nuts (buh?), LP flashes AKo.

Hand #14 - 9:10 - I open raise in MP with ATo, fish calls and SB calls. Flop is 9 9 2, SB checks, I bet, fish calls, SB calls. Turn is a 4 putting a flush draw on the board, SB checks, I bet, fish calls, SB folds. River is 2 completing a backdoor flush, I bet, fish raises and I fold.

Hand #15 - 9:10 - 2 limpers, I raise in the BB with AQo. Flop is K Q 7, I bet and both call. Turn is an offsuit 6, I bet and both call. River is another 6, I check, EP checks, LP turns over KTo and takes it.

Hand #16 - 9:12 - 5 limpers to me in the SB, I raise with AA. Flop is 9 6 4 with 2 hearts, I don't have the Ah. I bet, EP raises, fish coldcalls and I call. Turn is an offsuit deuce, I check and its checked around. River is a black ten, I bet and both fold.

I rack up and leave at the next blind. Will post followup/results of session tomorrow. Interested in hearing thoughts on some of these, also curious to see if people can guess on how I did moneywise from this session. These were essentially all the hands I put any significant action in on.

Bob T.
02-16-2003, 04:29 AM
I think that you were within 5 small bets of even.

Some comments,

4 - did you consider trying to get one more bet here on the river? It seems like it is a thin value bet, but because you didn't get raised on the turn, it makes it seem like your one pair hand might be good.

8 - he checked the wheel on the end? Or did you miss a round of betting?

9 - Folding the flush here is terrible. He should go ballistic. Your most likely hands are either tens, or a pocket pair.

12 - You might have won more on this hand by limping, than if you open raised.

13 - I think that you might have saved some bets here, there is some evidence on the flop - when your opponents three bets - and some more on the turn - when you were raised, that your hand might not be in the lead here. I guess you don't ever want to checkraise the button when he bets on the river? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Ed Miller
02-16-2003, 06:44 AM
I would have bet the river in hands 1, 4, and 15.

PokerPrince
02-16-2003, 07:13 AM
I agree completely. These are all decent value bets.

PokerPrince

Tyler Durden
02-16-2003, 09:08 AM
A few nights ago I realized I'm a pretty bad player, so please take this and all future posts with a grain of salt.

Hand #1 - I would have played it the same way. That means you played it badly.

Hand #4 - I think you missed a value bet here.

Hand #8 - That's a bummer but you should be happy to play with a guy who will coldcall with 54s.

In Hand 7 you raised from the BB with pocket tens, but in hand 9 you check in the BB with JJ. I don't get it.

Dr.Kimble
02-16-2003, 09:17 AM
looks like that you need a lot improvement on /forums/images/icons/wink.gif your play

Vehn
02-16-2003, 12:34 PM
Hand #1 was probably a bet on the river I agree. In hand #4 with that board I couldn't see a 1-pair hand that would call other than, well, KQ or KJ, but you're probably right. Betting the river in hand #15 is throwing money away.

Vehn
02-16-2003, 12:37 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
In Hand 7 you raised from the BB with pocket tens, but in hand 9 you check in the BB with JJ. I don't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

There were 2 limpers in hand #7 and 3 limpers in hand #9, makes a difference to me.

AceHigh
02-16-2003, 01:49 PM
Hand #4 - when you don't get raised on the turn, it's probably safe to bet again on the river. Somewhat opponent dependant.

Hand #9 - MP is lying or a fish.

Hand #13 - I don't know about betting the turn, and I think I woulded of folded to the raise by the button. Button or lp has to have you beat after the action on the flop don't they? Seems likely somebody made flush on turn. Easy to say now, lol.

Hand #14 - I probably check/call on the river.

Hand #16 - I would have 3 bet the flop and lead out on the turn when a non scary card hits the turn. Or at least lead out on the turn.

I'm guessing you ended up losing for the session. Let's say around 5BB.

Allan
02-16-2003, 01:51 PM
vehn,

#15. Just curious what your river decision is if EP finds a bet after you check.

JJ vs. TT. Also wanted to get your thoughts on if where the limpers are limping from affect you decision to raise preflop out of the blinds. The TT hand is clearly a raise. Is it the # of limpers or where they are limping from that sways your decision for JJ?

Allan

ActionBob
02-16-2003, 02:03 PM
Hand 4: Value bet the river.

Hand 5: I'd have a hard time calling a raise on the river from a typical lower limit player here.

Hand 14: I cant see any reason to bet the river against a fish here. Almost no chance he folds any hand that beats or ties you. And he certainly cant call with anything worse. If you want to see the showdown then check and call.

Hand 15: Value bet the river

Hand 16: I'd certainly bet the turn here (I'd probably have 3-bet on flop). But not sure if you are planning to check-raise the turn here? I'd choose to lead out then take the chance of giving a free card.

-ActionBob

FletchJr.
02-16-2003, 02:10 PM
If he bets out and he's already beat, he's got to call. He's got the King of Hearts. One more heart and he's got the nuts. too much in the pot to fold.

Tyler Durden
02-16-2003, 02:14 PM
Ok, sorry if I offended you (I doubt I did), I was just curious.

AceHigh
02-16-2003, 03:00 PM
Good point, your right. I missed that.

It's all vehn_'s fault posting so many hand, lol. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Bob T.
02-16-2003, 04:13 PM
On hand 3, you got called down by bottom pair on the flop, why is betting the river on hand 15 throwing away money? I think that you would get called by Queen worse kicker, as well as some players with pocket pairs.

You might have had a read at the table, from the ease that he called your turn bet, or something else, but from a purely tactical point of view, I think there is a lot of merit in betting the river here. It also might insure that you do get called down when you bet every street with top pair.

Ed Miller
02-16-2003, 05:05 PM
Betting the river in hand #15 is throwing money away.

Second pair, top kicker is very often good in these situations. I think you are making a serious mistake saying that betting here is "throwing money away."

Vehn
02-16-2003, 07:48 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Second pair, top kicker is very often good in these situations. I think you are making a serious mistake saying that betting here is "throwing money away."

[/ QUOTE ]

2nd pair, top kicker is good frequently, yes, but not when I am called. When 2 WTOM call my flop and turn bets one of them either has a king or JT exactly. Betting
the river is -EV especially when they'll check down a king. It would be different if I had position.

You seem to think this is a game where someone had a king they would let me know in the form of a raise. This is not the case.

Ed Miller
02-16-2003, 09:21 PM
Value betting this hand is now my default play, and I believe it to be significantly +EV. If your opponents are indeed weak-tight, then maybe you don't have a value bet here... but against many players this is a clear value bet. I am not assuming that someone would have raised you with a King.

If you are never value betting in this situation, then I suggest you try it for a while... you might be surprised with your results.

Vehn
02-16-2003, 10:44 PM
I wasn't speaking in general here. In this specific situation betting on the river was a significant mistake.

Vehn
02-16-2003, 10:46 PM
I won $2 /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif I think I played some hands poorly or certainely questionably. Dunno. What is interesting though is that while CM had 25 "key" hands in 3 hours, I had 16 in 5 - which means, essentially, that I got some pretty cold cards. Oh well, back to the grind.

Homer
02-16-2003, 11:21 PM
Could you please try making a post that adds some insight? Thank you.