PDA

View Full Version : building an image

the night
07-12-2005, 10:55 AM
Is it worth risking chips to build a more profitable table image at stakes like 1-2 nl? For example, is it worth raising preflop with weak hands, and showing the hand if people fold? Or, playin poorly pre-flop when you first sit down so you get more action later?

Maulik
07-12-2005, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it worth risking chips to build a more profitable table image at stakes like 1-2 nl? For example, is it worth raising preflop with weak hands, and showing the hand if people fold? Or, playin poorly pre-flop when you first sit down so you get more action later?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, people don't take notice, I've tried in the past and there is no reason for making any marginal decisions as most players won't notice.

Go_Blue88
07-12-2005, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, people don't take notice, I've tried in the past and there is no reason for making any marginal decisions as most players won't notice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I wouldn't show the hands, but if you raise a lot people seem to assume that you're bad, or get frustrated and try to make plays on you. Just keep em guessing; I'd only show if i had a tight image.

unlucky513
07-12-2005, 11:11 AM
i disagree.. sometimes i like to play like a donk if i'm at a very tight table with seemingly solid ABC players..

for example: i'm utg+2 at a 100nl 6max, i call the blinds w/ Q7d, button raises. i call. flop a flush draw, check/call until i hit my diamond on the river, i lead w/ my flush get a caller, scoop the pot.

now i've got 4 people at the table telling me to not leave and they're gonna take my stack. i stay for another hour and a half, leave the table with about $500.

this isn't something i do on a regular basis, but it can be very fun/profitable.

chumsferd
07-12-2005, 11:57 AM
Personally, I don't think you should be taking any -EV propositions at this level, hoping that doing so will increase your EV on later hands. I’m not sure it will pay off often enough to compensate for the EV you lose when you make your image plays.

That's not to say I don't think image is important at this level. I think its worth considering which other players are paying enough attention to build an image of you and what kind of player they perceive you as being. But, generally, I’d just let your image implicitly build itself through your play. For example, if you’ve been tight for a while, then widen the range of hands you’ll open-raise with from LP. If you’ve open raised 6 of the last 7 pots, then tighten up a bit and drop a few of the marginal hands.

I think this is quite effective, since a lot of people at this level seem to make strong judgements about your game based on a small sample of hands. Online I use GT+ when I’m playing, showing my stats for the current session. Sometimes, it even scares me how maniacal or rockish I can look over 50 or so hands. If they were the only hands an opponent had ever seen on me, then they would be pretty far off the mark with any judgements they made about my play…

I’m assuming this is online where there is a high turnover of players at this level. If you play with the same group of players on a regular basis, however, then there may be more merit in image building. Although, even then, I think there are better things to invest your effort in to increase your EV.

Just my 2p.