PDA

View Full Version : Andean music

sfer
07-12-2005, 09:37 AM
You know those guys who look like they're from Boliva or Peru, sometimes amplified, sometimes not, playing in some public space somewhere, one or more of the guys is wearing a multicolored pancho, one guy is always playing that weird wooden flute thing that is played perpendicular to the ground.

Why do they always play Simon and Garfunkel?

swede123
07-12-2005, 09:43 AM
I kinda enjoy these guys. I never noticed they play lots of Simon and Garfunkel though, I'll pay more attention next time I come across some.

Swede

turnipmonster
07-12-2005, 10:19 AM
those guys were my sworn enemies when I was playing on the street in europe.

I hate them and think they all suck, but they do have a pretty good racket going, which is basically get a huge PA + generator and play the theme music from titanic on a wooden recorder as loud as possible in some touristy area. if possible, have some of your friends stand around in native garb and look like they are playing instruments also.

--turnipmonster

asofel
07-12-2005, 10:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You know those guys who look like they're from Boliva or Peru, sometimes amplified, sometimes not, playing in some public space somewhere, one or more of the guys is wearing a multicolored pancho, one guy is always playing that weird wooden flute thing that is played perpendicular to the ground.

Why do they always play Simon and Garfunkel?

[/ QUOTE ]

any chance you're talking about Inca Son? (http://incason.com) I've seen them a couple times....really great musicians, extremely nice people, and they've played around the world at events like the world cup...

bisonbison
07-12-2005, 11:18 AM
Dude, if there's a universal language, it pretty much consists of Hazy Shade of Winter.

sfer
07-19-2005, 09:29 AM
Walked by one in Grand Central this morning. They were playing "The Boxer."

megantw
07-19-2005, 10:15 AM
You misspelled "poncho".

<3

HesseJam
07-19-2005, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
those guys were my sworn enemies when I was playing on the street in europe.

I hate them and think they all suck, but they do have a pretty good racket going, which is basically get a huge PA + generator and play the theme music from titanic on a wooden recorder as loud as possible in some touristy area. if possible, have some of your friends stand around in native garb and look like they are playing instruments also.

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, coca and Andean music groups are the biggest export articles of these countries here in Europe. "El Condor pasa"