PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Here Not Like Bob Dylan?

Bill Murphy
07-12-2005, 08:25 AM
I'm not denying his influence or poetry/songwriting skills(at least <=1975). But c'mon. Sick joke of a performer. All you got to do is listen to the Hendrix, SWonder, or even Edie Brickell covers to realize that. He makes Jerry Garcia sound like a Dio/Iommi hybrid.

And, really, what's he done since the mid 70's that anyone would care about if it weren't by him? Plus, I hate Tom Waits and all the other troubador wannabes that have appeared in his wake.

Ya switch his & Springsteen's birthdates, he'd still be Bobby Zimmerman, IMO.

jason_t
07-12-2005, 08:36 AM
You should seriously consider killing yourself.

zephed
07-12-2005, 08:59 AM
I'm not sure.

J.R.
07-12-2005, 09:20 AM
time out of mind and things have changed. you should really delete your post, there's more to performing than soloing.

hoopsie44
07-12-2005, 09:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand this sentence.

DemonDeac
07-12-2005, 10:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

jojobinks
07-12-2005, 10:19 AM
love and theft.

also, i love springsteen, but if you reversed their birthdays, you never woulda heard of bruce.

tom waits rules, too. the singer/songwriter movement that dylan started is the best thing that ever happened to pop music.

BottlesOf
07-12-2005, 10:40 AM
He is saying that if he were born when Springsteen was (X years later, after Rock blossomed) then he wouldn't be the star ("Bob Dylan") that he is considred today. I'm assuming Zimmerman is his real family name.

Los Feliz Slim
07-12-2005, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
tom waits rules, too. the singer/songwriter movement that dylan started is the best thing that ever happened to pop music.

[/ QUOTE ]

Add Lyle Lovett to this list, also en eclectic mix of folk/blues/country/rock.

ThaSaltCracka
07-12-2005, 10:56 AM
I don't really like him either, his voice annoys me.

PokerBob
07-12-2005, 10:56 AM
I'm not nuts about him either. That said IMO the person who has received GOD status who totally sucks is Jim Morrison. Let's take a lot of drugs and pretend we are deep. What a douche.

rmarotti
07-12-2005, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dominic
07-12-2005, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not nuts about him either. That said IMO the person who has received GOD status who totally sucks is Jim Morrison. Let's take a lot of drugs and pretend we are deep. What a douche.

[/ QUOTE ]

as i've said before - if Jim Morrison was alive today he'd be 300lbs. and opening for Wayne Newton in Vegas. All he is a 1960's version of Rob Thomas.

rmarotti
07-12-2005, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
time out of mind and things have changed. you should really delete your post, there's more to performing than soloing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Love and theft

JoshuaD
07-12-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

as i've said before - if Jim Morrison was alive today he'd be 300lbs. and opening for Wayne Newton in Vegas. All he is a 1960's version of Rob Thomas.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why he had the good taste to die young and remain a legend.

/images/graemlins/heart.gif Jim Morrison /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Shajen
07-12-2005, 02:40 PM
ZAAAZZZAAA BOOO, *inaudible mumble mumble* WASSA MOO Yeah.

Yep.

I agree.

CallMeIshmael
07-12-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

People who dont like Yankee Hotel Foxtrot aren't allowed to participate in music threads.

ptmusic
07-12-2005, 03:46 PM
I'm not sure who has less of a clue / taste. You, or the guys who don't get SRV.

Dylan's voice has had many low points, to be sure. But he has had some great albums and songs even since the 80's (Infidels, anyone? That album is a classic). I saw him in concert about 5 years ago, and he was fantastic (although his warmup act stole the evening: Van the Man). And his early stuff is legendary for a good reason (even his voice was good back then).

-ptmusic

ThaSaltCracka
07-12-2005, 03:48 PM
so because we don't like one particular artist, we have no taste?

moron.

ptmusic
07-12-2005, 03:56 PM
In this case, yes. Well, I guess you have bad taste. More likely, though, is that you don't have a clue (meaning you haven't listened to his better stuff).

You also have to be in the right frame of mind to appreciate any form of music. Maybe you've never been in the right frame of mind to appreciate Dylan when you've heard his music.

-ptmusic

ThaSaltCracka
07-12-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In this case, yes. Well, I guess you have bad taste. More likely, though, is that you don't have a clue (meaning you haven't listened to his better stuff).

[/ QUOTE ] this is incredibly stupid

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you've never been in the right frame of mind to appreciate Dylan when you've heard his music.

[/ QUOTE ] this isn't stupid. Thats possible, but regardless, I don't particularly like his music. Please note, I did not say that it sucks, just that I don't like it.

joecash
07-12-2005, 04:06 PM
His voice just sounds too goofy, and music is about sound when you get down to it. He might have written some decent songs, but I would never buy one of his CDs.

masse75
07-12-2005, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so because we don't like one particular artist, we have no taste?

moron.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. His music? Meh.

Thought about hijacking the thread and bashing the Grateful Dead, but too lazy.

Bill Murphy
07-12-2005, 10:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the singer/songwriter movement that dylan started is the best thing that ever happened to pop music.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the point of my post; while Dylan was one of the first(ctn'ly one of the first FAMOUS ones, at least in pop music) s/s's, and that's why he's very important & influential, he's also one of the LOUSIEST, esp if you add musician/live performer to singer/songwriter. This despite the great songs he wrote.

I mean c'mon: Hank Williams Sr., Johnny Cash, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Eric Clapton, Neil Young, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Carole King, Paul Simon, Springsteen, Hendrix, Cobain, even David Byrne, Tom Petty, & Phil Lynnot, and that's just off the top of my head. EDIT: Christ, forgot Van Morrison.

Not even close in a combination of singer/songwriter/player/performer. FWIW IMO SWonder is the best alltime w/this combo, but it's all subjective and still all good.

All that said, Dylan wrote some great songs, and I'd love to hear someone like The Arcade Fire or The Magic Numbers do a cover album of some of his >1980 stuff that the critics have raved over.

But the idea that he was an eternal 20th century giant on par w/Miles Davis, etc, is just ludicrous.

Awright, end of rant-troll. /images/graemlins/cool.gif I will do the ol' Red Dot scan on Bob's later stuff next time I'm at the store. But I doubt I'll be buying anything.

BTW anybody remember Bob's 'performance' w/Keef & Woody at Live Aid? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

EDIT there are some good "troubador" types on the compilation cd on the current UNCUT magazine, esp. if you like Dylan/Waits types. Songdog, Richmond Fontaine, Dwight Tilley, etc. Check it out.

ThaSaltCracka
07-12-2005, 10:33 PM
word.

Tron
07-12-2005, 11:06 PM
Let me take a guess at something else you don't like: AMERICA.

Bill Murphy
07-12-2005, 11:17 PM
?

brassnuts
07-12-2005, 11:28 PM
I find his voice annoying. Great songwriter, though.

ewile
07-12-2005, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the singer/songwriter movement that dylan started is the best thing that ever happened to pop music.

[/ QUOTE ]

Than www.wfuv.org (http://www.wfuv.org) is the station for you. Enjoy.

fsuplayer
07-12-2005, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I find his voice annoying. Great songwriter, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

astroglide
07-13-2005, 12:46 AM
i thought johnny cash was the one that more or less discovered bob dylan

beernutz
07-13-2005, 01:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not denying his influence or poetry/songwriting skills(at least <=1975). But c'mon. Sick joke of a performer. All you got to do is listen to the Hendrix, SWonder, or even Edie Brickell covers to realize that. He makes Jerry Garcia sound like a Dio/Iommi hybrid.

And, really, what's he done since the mid 70's that anyone would care about if it weren't by him? Plus, I hate Tom Waits and all the other troubador wannabes that have appeared in his wake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please. Seek. Help.

bort411
07-13-2005, 01:47 AM
Tom Petty has spent his life trying to be Bob Dylan. George Harrison does not belong anywhere near a list of noteworthy singer/songwriters. Jimi Hendrix began a solo career pretty much because of Bob Dylan. Cobain...sucked. You're a young man I'm guessing? And something tells me that you don't really like Neil Young; you're just pretending.

That said, I seriously doubt your familiarity to Dylan's live performances. You're speaking outside of your knowledge here. Not to be a dick, but I'd bet you haven't seen Don't Look Back, and don't own any of the Bootleg Series, and have never heard a high quality bootleg from a noteworthy tour, and above all else have not seen Dylan live. It therefore doesn't seem that you're qualified make this assertion:

he's also one of the LOUSIEST, esp if you add musician/live performer to singer/songwriter.

ChipWrecked
07-13-2005, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i thought johnny cash was the one that more or less discovered bob dylan

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be John Hammond.

astroglide
07-13-2005, 02:27 AM
hm, i thought the biographies and whatnot running on johnny cash mentioned that he ran into dylan when he was still trying to get his stuff together and supported him. certainly dylan might have been a 'later influence' on cash, but his professional career existed before dylan's. cash was making records with sun in the mid-fifties.

Bill Murphy
07-13-2005, 03:04 AM
I'll be 40 in September. Why would a young guy ask if anyone remembered Live Aid? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I don't care much for Neil Young but I like his stuff way more than what I've heard of Bob's. He certainly seems to have had a much, uh, 'broader' career than Dylan.

My OP was part troll, based on the recent ones about SRV & RHead. Some of the names I listed were certainly stretches, but not Cash, Lennon, Young, Morrison(not familiar w/much of his stuff either), & Wonder.

I'll give Bob all the credit in the world for influence & songwriting. I'm sure he influenced Wonder & Gaye to break out of the Motown "machine", at least indirectly.

I got ruined on Bob early; some horrendous TV appearances from ~'75-'85, culminating in Live Aid. Plus I heard Hendrix's version of Watchtower before the original. And the older kids in my neighboorhood played Rainy Day Woman nonstop.

I haven't heard Don't Look Back or any "noteworthy" bootleg, of course. Mostly pre 1980, or even pre 1970 right? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I would like to hear some of Bob's best stuff from his heyday, just to be fair. I'd even like to hear some of his best songs from the last 15 years or so, s'long as its someone else singing & playing! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif