PDA

View Full Version : just moved up to 1/2, interesting qq hand

Dommer
07-12-2005, 05:24 AM
Moved up to 1/2 a couple days ago, I'm definitely noticing some differences between it and .5/1, the betting is much better. But overall it seems beatable so I'm pretty optimistic. Had an interesting hand though:

10 handed game at PP, I have 228$ and the villain has me covered. Not a lot of hands on the villain but he just blew a buy-in with middle two pair against a set when he was most likely beat. He's overplaying his hands from what I can see, but not super-duper donk overplay, 47/6.5 stats over 100 hands. I've raised a few hands in fairly quick succession recently, with people folding pre-flop or on the flop.

I get Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif in the BB.

UTG limps, folded around to the villain in the SB who completes.

I make it 8$ to go, UTG calls, and the Villain reraises to 30$.

My plan from here? Reasons?

Thanks,
Dommer

xorbie
07-12-2005, 05:32 AM
Tricky. Have you raised your BB before? This is difficult becase limp/raising in the SB is such a ridiculous tactic, because the chances the BB raises are pretty low. Personally I would be willing to get it in on any flop that doesn't have a K or A, because I think his most likely hand is either AK/AQ/AJ that was trying to see a flop but figures to be good now, or a 88/99/TT type hand with the same rational.

Unfortunatly, this does leave you open to a lot of flops that might either make you fold the best hand or put your chips in when way behind, so I think a re-raise here is actually not so bad.

Dommer
07-12-2005, 05:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Tricky. Have you raised your BB before? This is difficult becase limp/raising in the SB is such a ridiculous tactic, because the chances the BB raises are pretty low. Personally I would be willing to get it in on any flop that doesn't have a K or A, because I think his most likely hand is either AK/AQ/AJ that was trying to see a flop but figures to be good now, or a 88/99/TT type hand with the same rational.

Unfortunatly, this does leave you open to a lot of flops that might either make you fold the best hand or put your chips in when way behind, so I think a re-raise here is actually not so bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't think I'd raised my BB before... but I'm not sure. I came to the same conclusion you did basically, I figured I had to have the best hand the majority of the time, the odds of someone having AA or KK and only completing in the SB seemed really low. Not only that but this is an aggressive player who has seen me raise a few times recently.

I didn't want to have to fold on the flop to an aggressive player and I really thought I likely had the best hand, so I opted to raise to 90$. UTG folded, SB pushed and I called. Board came all rags and his AA held up to win the pot. I think I was gonna get owned no matter what here. =(

xorbie
07-12-2005, 05:43 AM
Tough break. I think you just got caught in a situation where someone was trying to play AA fancy and ran into a very good second best hand.

fuzzbox
07-12-2005, 06:45 AM
Very weirdly played by the SB here - and very tough spot for you. I might well call here and go broke on a flop with no A or K, if you have been raising quite liberally.