PDA

View Full Version : Mid-July summer update for those who are interested...

ggbman
07-12-2005, 02:21 AM
So I finished the month up June up about $5500, and after rakeback and all those goodies I managed to hit 7k for the month. Given my performance over the 2 previous months, this was a big confidence booster.

This summer has been a lot of fun so far, and I have had more than enough time for poker. I got off to a solid start in July, and decided to move up to 10-20 a little early. This was a very difficult decision for me, as 5-10 has been very good to me. Over the course of my two stints there (about 75k hands) I have about a 2.95BB/100 winrate 4 tabling. When rakeback is factored in, I have been making over $100/hour in these games without any extreme swings. That’s a lot of money, but I feel that my EV at 10-20 should be $30 or $40 more per hour. If this proves to be the case, this is too much EV to pass up.
My first 10-20 session in a while was last night, and right off the bat I got hammered by the deck. I started playing around 10P.M. and was stuck 2k within an hour and a half. I was determined not to end the night down, and stayed up until 3:30 to end my first session up a whopping $200. (Better the -$2,000!) Anyway, today was more of the same, at one point I was stuck $2500 and I managed to win it all back. The play is better then 5-10, but I definitely like my prospects in this game, and I’m not going to let the turbulence of my first 2 sessions deter me. I’m up about $4800 for July so far, so if I can just keep playing solid poker and maintain an average run of cards, this could definitely be my best month ever, I would have to top $8900 before rakeback.

Two of my friends who I have kind of taken under my wing over the last year have opened up account this summer and are doing quite well, which gives me satisfaction both because they are my friends and because I feel I really helped them. Mike is on some stupid run at 2-4 and is winning like 9BB/100 over his last 5k hands there. (Dude you’re a [censored] luckbox!)

Outside of poker, I have been hanging out with friends and been playing some tennis. I really want to get back into better shape this summer, which means I’m going to have to add some running to the workout regime and improve my diet somewhat. I definitely don’t want to be out of shape when I head to college next year.

I do have a funny non poker story from this summer already. I got into my 2nd fender bender a couple of days ago. The first was when a lady on her cell wasn’t paying attention and clipped me, no biggie. However, this one was clearly my fault, I skidded into a guy at a light. It was red and turned green, and he did a little go and stop. It would have been fine if I wasn’t tinkering with my MP3 player, but fortunately I was going less than 5mph when it happened, so everyone was fine. His car didn’t sustain any damage, but my hood is pretty messed up. What made the matter humorous is that he was an off duty state trooper. I didn’t have my registration or DMV tags, so I was in quite a mess. He was quite nice however, and I somehow got away ticketless. I think I might buy my dad’s car rather then fix up mine. (He has a 97 Mazda Millenia S, 210 HP supercharged engine, leather, sunroof, etc…) I might also finance it so I can start to build a credit rating.

Anywho, now that I’m done with going off on non-poker tangents, I’ll get back on track. I want to shave a few points on my 10-20 stats vs. my 5-10 ones. At 5-10 I’m about 32/23, which does well in those passive games. Since 10-20 is much more aggressive, I think I should try to get down to 28/20 or something like that because a lot of hands lose value against players who will play back at you more often.

My ambitious goal is to end the month up over 10k, but I definitely think this is doable. I’m glad I went back to 5-10 for a while to get my shorthanded game back in shape and cushion the roll. While my exact finances aren’t important, I definitely have cushy role for 10-20, so if worse comes to worse I can always go back to 5-10, but I don’t think I will have to do that. I hope everyone’s summer is going as well as mine is, and good luck at the tables.

Nigel
07-12-2005, 02:27 AM
Thanks for the update, enjoyed the read. Good luck at 10/20, hope you get your best month.

Cheers,

Nigel

dirty moose
07-12-2005, 02:31 AM
i nneed friends like this. my friends that play cards, are decent but just waste their talent, they dont play enough. sounds like your doing great, keep the updates comming, ilove reading these sotries, gives me motovation

nervous
07-12-2005, 03:09 AM
Take me under your wing!

Sounds like you are making quite a living. I hope to be making a post like this someday.

Someday...

ggbman
07-12-2005, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i nneed friends like this. my friends that play cards, are decent but just waste their talent, they dont play enough. sounds like your doing great, keep the updates comming, ilove reading these sotries, gives me motovation

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah i definitly stay on them, i'm a tough teacher. However, they both saw what was possible in terms of winning good amounts of money even at the smaller stakes, so they were quite receptive to learning.

jba
07-12-2005, 12:59 PM
you play 6-max?

ggbman
07-12-2005, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you play 6-max?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do.