PDA

View Full Version : 10+1 KT 5-handed. responding to push...

wiggs73
07-11-2005, 11:38 PM
Villain has been pushing about as much as is necessary to stay alive with a short stack. Has been picking spots pretty well and avoiding showdowns. Overall, what's left of the table is tight and pretty solid for the 11s.

***** Hand History for Game 2348911400 *****
NL Texas Hold'em $10 Buy-in + $1 Entry Fee Trny:13854405 Level:5 Blinds(75/150) - Monday, July 11, 22:13:00 EDT 2005
Table Table 12817 (Real Money)
Seat 8 is the button
Total number of players : 5
Seat 1: Trader51 ( $1125 )
Seat 2: TLcrickgolf ( $2175 )
Seat 3: mdemare ( $640 )
Seat 4: wiggs73 ( $870 )
Seat 8: bvandorn ( $3190 )
Trny:13854405 Level:5
Blinds(75/150)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to wiggs73 [ Ts Kc ]
mdemare is all-In.
>You have options at Table 10871 Table!.
wiggs73 ???

Discuss.

Nottom
07-12-2005, 02:53 AM
Is KTo suddenly a good hand? I must have missed the memo.

wiggs73
07-12-2005, 07:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is KTo suddenly a good hand? I must have missed the memo.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, of course it isn't. There were a couple of reasons I thought about pushing though. One is because I thought that UTG was pushing with an extremely wide range of hands here. As I mentioned, he had been pushing in most spots that you'd expect a decent player with a short stack to push. UTG with 4 BBs is one of those spots, so I thought his range would be something like any ace, any king, suited connectors, any pair, and perhaps even unsuited connectors and some queens. KT isn't a good hand, but it's not like UTG can wait around on a monster to try to double up here; it's very well ahead of many hands he's pushing with here.

The other thing I thought about is my own stack. I have not quite 6 BBs here. Couple that with the fact that the table has been playing on the tight side, I think there is a good chance I can get heads up with UTG who I'm likely ahead of. I don't know if you read any of the HH past my 2 cards, but I could stand to double up sooner, rather than later, myself.

So no Nottom, KT isn't a good hand. I hope you don't play such ABC poker though that all you consider in a hand is the strength of your own 2 cards. In this situation, it looked quite a bit better than KT in second position at a full table with blinds of 15/30.

This being said, I'd love to get some more feedback on the hand. I thought it was quite an interesting situation and it's possible that folding is the correct play, but I'd like to hear why in a more detailed explanation than I received in the 1 response I have gotten so far.

mmbt0ne
07-12-2005, 08:07 AM
This seems really bad. You have all the big stacks left to act, and you're fighting for an amount of chips that will do less than double you up the times you do win. You have almost 6BB, so unless blinds are going up soon, you can afford to fo through one more BB and SB even if you keep catching crap, or have people raise all-in in front of you.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Couple that with the fact that the table has been playing on the tight side

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a MUCH better arguement for folding than it is for calling.

BTW, ABC poker absolutely slaughters the 11s.

Derek132260
07-12-2005, 08:10 AM
IF he's pushing the hands you give him credit for pushing...you're still behind more than you're ahead.

AA-KK: You're dominated badly
AK: You're dominated badly
AQ-AJ: You're in bad shape
AT: You're dominated badly
A9-A2: You're in bad shape
QQ-JJ: You're in bad shape
TT: You're dominated badly
99-22: You're slightly less than even money
KQ-KJ: You're dominated badly

So what are you legitimately ahead of that he might push with:
K9-K2: Great shape
Qx?: If he'd push with this from early position, you're in decent shape
Lower suited connectors: If he's a decent player like you describe, he'll most likely realize his suited connectors aren't worth a whole lot all-in preflop. He'll know that if anyone at the table calls with a higher card, he's still a reasonable &lt;a href='http://consumeralertsystem.com/cas/zx-hclick.php?hid=180' target='_blank'&gt;dog&lt;/a&gt;. Basically, I believe he's not pushing with these hands.

So...there's a whole lot he's ahead of you with, a few things you're coin flips on, and not much you're ahead with. Don't push -- wait for your opportunity to steal blinds and/or get a large stack to make a "what the hell, let's get him out of here" type call.

wiggs73
07-12-2005, 08:30 AM
Thank you. This makes sense.

I posted this hand because I thought it was interesting. After reading the last 2 responses, I think it's a pretty clear cut fold. Thanks guys.