PDA

View Full Version : Is Tight Aggressive play the only way at Party?

BeerMoney
07-11-2005, 10:14 PM
Seems like every 2+2 player I know that I've played with at 5/10 and above is strictly a tight aggressive player. (lstream gets a little carried away limping on 3rd..)

I was playing 20/40 last night with a pretty lag player. The type of guy who could have probably been an excellent NLHE player.. His stack size kept growing and shrinking like crazy. But, at this game, I think he would eventually go bust, although having "flashes of brilliance".

Are there any players on party that you know of who play a different style, and do it well? That is, are there tight passives who do well at trapping others? Loose aggressives who do well at getting plenty of action on their big hands, and sensing when they're going to be called with a weak hand and slow down/ get out of trouble when behind?

With this ante structure, is TAG the only way to go?

bigredlemon
07-11-2005, 10:20 PM
I have a friend who is extremely loose (to 4th in the 70s to 80s) and he claims to be averaging about 25BBs/hr for this entire month (he's only been playing stud8 for one month). He's been playing omaha8 for years and I don't think he's the kind of of person to lie about his results, so I believe him. I doubt this month's results are sustainable in the long term, but I think playing loose may be +EV. I sometimes change gears and switch between a pf of 20% to 35% and it seems that I make more BBs at 35% than 20%, so maybe there is some truth to it. (I've gotten poor results from a sustained 35% to 4th however.)

beta1607
07-11-2005, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
25BBs/hr for this entire month

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know much about stud/8 but there is no way this guy is actually winning this much in the long term, it is a huge up swing in the wild ride of variance. Anybody seeing 4th 80% of the time is going to go bust - soon.

I think there are times to LAG it up a little bit in stud hi, especially when your opponents are very tight and predictable. For the most part TAG is the way to go but every now and then it is proper to adapt to the game type. It is also important to LAG it up on occasion at the 5/10 and 10/20 since there are so many regular players there where it is too easy for them to pick up on tendencies.

frappeboy
07-11-2005, 11:46 PM
It depends on the table of course. On a really tight table loose aggressive can be correct, since you are winning the antes very often.. If you ever find a table like this on partypoker, please let me know, because I've never seen it.

When dealing with LAGs the correct style is probably tight passive, to induce bluffs (read Theory of Poker section on bluffing).