PDA

View Full Version : Doin' a home game in seattle for OOters, also, need input on alcohol

bholdr
07-11-2005, 07:22 PM
This Friday I will be hosting a home game for OOT posters at my new place in seattle. If anyone is intrested please post here or PM me. There are already a couple people that are in, so it's first-come-first serve- I've got room for nine or ten players.

It'll be 1/2 mixed games, maybe some 2/4 or 3/6 later in the night. I have chips (crappy 11.5g dice chips- if anyone who wants to attend has a nicer set, please bring 'em), am working on a table, and should be able to scrounge up enough chairs...

anyone? I'm thinking a minimum of six to make it worthwhile. bernie? Skeme? others?

Also, since my new place is actually nice enough for me to use to um... entertain guests, I will be re-stocking my patheticly depleted liquor cabinet. (the new apartment has nice little spot for a bar) and since i only drink bourbon, i need imput form drinkers with more diverse tastes. My budget is about $150- figuring $15-$20/ bottle, what should i get?

Here's my list so far:

Must have's:

-Vodka (probably Luksusowa or Stoli)
-Gin (i know next to nothing about gin- what's palatable/cheap?)
-Whiskey (I have lots of bourbon, but maybe a scotch and some JD as well? crown?)
-Tequila (again, what's drinkable/cheap?)
-White wine
-Red wine

what else? I used to be a big liquor drinker, but i honestly haven't had anything but bourbon for about three years.

Supersetoy
07-11-2005, 07:24 PM
If you don't mind me asking, where is this place? (City will work).

My friends and I were planning on hitting up the Crazy Moose for their midnight tournament this Friday. But I may reconsider to meet some 2+2ers.

astroglide
07-11-2005, 07:28 PM
jagermeister. no doy.

KJS
07-11-2005, 07:34 PM
I would get Bushmills and/or Jameson (I prefer Bushmills) and Bombay Saffire Gin.

See you Friday.

KJS

ThaSaltCracka
07-11-2005, 07:43 PM
Can't make it, but get some jameson.

MrWookie47
07-11-2005, 08:01 PM
If you're getting an Irish whisky, get Bushmills over Jameson, and Red Breast if you're a high roller.

I happened to stumble on a great value in tequila not too long ago. Xalixco tequila is a little cheaper and markedly better than Jose Cuervo. For vodka, I have some friends who prefer Fris vodka to Grey Goose, but it costs less than Skyy. I'd never pay a penny over the price of Fris.

Edit: Bombay Sapphire is a great gin if you're willing to spend that much. Tanqueray (sp?) is also very good. Seagram's is decent cheap alternative, about as cheap as I would go. Any cheaper, and you're getting into Pine Sol. Lastly, make sure you pick up a bottle of triple sec. That stuff goes in a helluva lot of mixed drinks. You might also consider vermouth if you're into making Martinis and Manhattans.

bholdr
07-11-2005, 08:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
jagermeister. no doy.

[/ QUOTE ]

of course. duh. straight to the freezer.

MrWookie47
07-11-2005, 08:16 PM
Oh, I just noticed you were looking for some input on whiskey as well. I don't think Crown Royal is worth the money, especially if you're well stocked in bourbon. Really, Canadian whiskey doesn't add much to your bar if you already have bourbon, Scotch, and Irish whiskeys. Neither does Jack Daniel's, actually.

If you're looking for Scotch, the selection is wide, and the sky's the limit. A decent, inexpensive blended Scotch is Johnny Walker Red. It's great for mixing, and decent for sippng. If you want a good single malt to sip neat, I enjoy Balvanie Scotch, but there are a lot of good choices. Since Scotch isn't heavily marketed like other liquors, price is a very good indicator of quality.

I also noticed that rum was conspicuously absent from your shopping list. I really enjoy Meyer's dark rum, and Bacardi is fine as a light rum. If you just don't like rum, ignore this input.

MoreWineII
07-11-2005, 08:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can't make it, but get some great weed.

[/ QUOTE ]

bholdr
07-11-2005, 08:59 PM
Totally forgot about rum. I'll get one light, one dark, and one spiced rum. mmmm... rum.

soooo... anyone into the game? it's on cap hill in seattle.

goofball
07-11-2005, 09:00 PM
i've always preferred sauze to jose when it comes ot tequila.

bombay sapphire should run you aobut the same as a bottle of stoli.

TheWorstPlayer
07-11-2005, 11:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i've always preferred sauze to jose when it comes ot tequila.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sauza destroys that Jose garbage.

nolanfan34
07-11-2005, 11:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Totally forgot about rum. I'll get one light, one dark, and one spiced rum. mmmm... rum.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm OOT this weekend...out of town. Maybe next time.

chas19
07-11-2005, 11:50 PM
Citadelle gin. Maybe $22, but worth every penny. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

MrWookie47
07-12-2005, 12:06 AM
How does Citadelle stack up against Bombay Sapphire? I haven't tried it myself, but I'd be willing to give it a go if you think that it's better and comparably priced, or comparable in quality but lower priced.

MikeL05
07-12-2005, 12:09 AM
6 guys and $150 for a liquor budget?

A keg and a stripper is about the best allocation of funds I can think of.

bholdr
07-12-2005, 04:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

6 guys and $150 for a liquor budget?

A keg and a stripper is about the best allocation of funds I can think of.

[/ QUOTE ]

the $150 is to start my liquor cabinet, which will hopefully grow over time... there's no way it's getting killed during the game. i mean, it could happen, but i doubt it. as of now only a couple of people have expressed intrest, so it may not happen.

no kegs, no strippers. i am the building manager, and if my tenants see kegs and strippers, i'd lose all credibility.

Just tonight i thought of a few other liquors that i have to have. Rumplemintz, Wild Spirit, Baileys, Kalauha... mixers, basicly. Unfourtunatly, i thought of them while loosing $200 playing 4/8. yikes.

chas19
07-12-2005, 11:25 AM
I used to drink Sapphire, but tried this and liked it better. I'm not very good at describing how things taste, but the Citadelle is very smooth and doesn’t have as much...um... what is that citrus? flavor as the Bombay. I guess a little mellower and not as bright. Definitely worth a try. They're both about the same price.

MrWookie47
07-12-2005, 11:30 AM
Yeah, Sapphire has lemon (and some other things) in addition to the juniper berries for the additional flavor. I kinda like it that way. However, I'm running somewhat low on my Sapphire supply, so for my next purchase, I may just take you up on your advice. Thanks.

swede123
07-12-2005, 11:31 AM
For vodka try Chopin. It's a bit on the spendy side, but well worth it. Very smooth.

Swede

chas19
07-12-2005, 11:33 AM
Let me know what you think.

The Goober
07-12-2005, 09:52 PM
I'm in if the game's still on and there's room.

plaster8
07-13-2005, 03:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be working until midnight, so I'm probably out. I don't think you want me crashing the party at 1 a.m. Next time ...

___SK___
07-13-2005, 05:20 AM
monarch all the way.