PDA

View Full Version : SB Question

Scotch78
07-11-2005, 05:59 PM
1/3 structure and you're in the SB with J9. The BB is 69/14 over about 75 hands and all you have is a tentative read that he's full of [censored], i.e. I've seen him check when you'd expect someone with his aggression to bet and I suspect a lot of his bets are bluffs.

Raise, complete or fold, and what're your thoughts on the turn if you miss the flop and he calls?

Scott

Danenania
07-11-2005, 06:04 PM
Fold. Against LAGs with position on you wait for a premium hand rory style or lose lots of money. Especially with a 1/3 structure.

J.R.
07-11-2005, 06:09 PM
J9o has 53% equity v a random hand. You seem to have little steal equity and are OOP v a tricky player. J high is not fun to play versus an aggressive and tricky player who can make loose calls. and you have to put in 5/6 BB preflop to have a shot to win 4/6ths of a BB- which won't happen much given opponent's looseness- he probabaly calls a lot here (maybe 85%+),and isn't making a mistake in doing so. Depending on the stakes, the rake could also de a significant drawback to playing this hand.

I'm thinking you either win a small amount or are a solid loser in ths spot, so i'd rather muck and move on, assuming this isn't a headsup game. If I raised and airballed the flop i'd be inclined to check most but perhaps the most ragged of turns. But that's why this spot is tough, he will call with crap on the flop and apply heat when you show weakness. And its a spot like this where I often do dumb stuff bluffing or calling down or overplaying that f's up my head and sends my sessions into mild-tilt. so I pass and move on to the next hand.

Scotch78
07-11-2005, 06:17 PM
Good to know I'm still packing. Usually when I post a ball-check everyone points out how weak I played the hand.

Scott