PDA

View Full Version : Is the Taylor Made R7 worth it?

asb165
07-11-2005, 05:45 PM
I'm going to drop probably $200-$300 on a driver, probably off Ebay. I'm around an 18-19 handicap. I hit the Ping G2 and liked it, and also the Cleveland Launcher. I'm carrying a Titlest 975J. Any thoughts on whether the R7 is worth the extra bucks?

RacersEdge
07-11-2005, 05:57 PM
I would hit it before I bought it.

bd8802
07-11-2005, 06:10 PM
I did not like it. I bought a Cleveland Launcher Comp 10.5* with a N65-S shaft. It is amazing. Out of everything I hit I would rank them:

1. Cleveland Launcher Comp (long, straight, perfect)
2. Ping G2 (but hated the half moon graphic)
3. Callaway 454 (could not find the right shaft for this club)
4. Taylor Made r5 and r7 (did not like them at all)
5. Titleist 905T and S (not forgiving enough)

benza13
07-11-2005, 06:12 PM
Everyone has a different swing that is going to work better with different clubs, demo anything before you buy it. If you looked around, you could probably find a good golf shop near you that has demo's and swing analysis to help you choose the right club/shaft. Much better than dropping $200-300 and not liking it.

MoreWineII
07-11-2005, 06:24 PM
Taylor Made and Titleist make the best drivers at this point in time, imo.

As far as if you should spend the extra $$, that really depends on you. If you need a new driver and you're okay with spending that much $$, then go for it.

I'm here to tell you the best way to get golf equipment is to play in amateur tournaments around your area.

I'm a 10-12 handicap at the moment and I play in 10-15 tourneys a year - usually bestballs or chapmans with my dad, who is a 12-14 handicap. But there are some 4-man tourneys as well as many individual tourneys. It works out nicely for me because it's one of the few times I get to spend time with and BS with my dad. We'll go as far as 300 miles away to play, these outings make for suprisingly fun road trips.

Anyway, for around $200-350 (two-man team), you usually get:

- 2 weekend rounds of golf + a practice round on Friday

- Dinner/lunch/breakfast/some combo of these

- Tee prize (sleeve of balls or a hat or something)

- A chance to win merchandise (I usually grab golf balls - easy to ebay) anywhere from $150-$700 per person.

These tourneys usually pay spots both gross AND net and I'd say an average tourney pays 7-15 spots each way (based on a full field - usually 64 teams). And most tourneys will usually have a side game or two where you can win some actual cash.

Most of the time, all you have to do is make pars/bogeys and manage the course fairly well. Anybody with a half a brain, some patience, and any skills at all can usually cash. A lot of these guys get so carried away trying to lower their handicaps to impress their friends that they have no ability to actually play to that handicap when the pressure's on. That's not boasting either, it's the god's honest truth.

Anyway, sorry for the hijack. But it's good info. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

edtost
07-11-2005, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Taylor Made and Titleist make the best drivers at this point in time, imo.

[/ QUOTE ]