PDA

View Full Version : Vince at Foxwoods 7 & 8 October

10-09-2001, 10:51 PM
Vince at Foxwoods is what it says. The 2 + 2 add in Card Player Magazine reads , "Vince at Foxwoods". That's o.k for now but Vince ain't gonna be at Foxwoods permanently so it better be a moving add. But "Vince at Foxwoods" did happen this past Saturday night and Sunday Morning. Want to hear about it? O.K. here goes.

Let's start at the end because at my advanced age I remember things better in a reverse chronological order. Driving home to my sister's house on Sunday, I experienced a bit of DejaVu. I was listening to a radio broadcast by President Bush describing the attack on Afghanistan. Immediately I had a flash back to the day George senior announced the beginning of the "Gulf War". I was driving in my car in a D.C. suburb and had to stop out of shock and disbelief. But that's another story. I mentioned only because my poker session was one big DejaVu experience of it’s own..

I quit playing poker at 9:30 a.m. Sunday Morning. I started playing poker at 4:30 p.m. Saturday night. When I left I was ahead $35. Can you say seventeen (hours) boys and girls? During that time I stopped playing for pit stops and game changes only. Three different games I played in broke.

When I walked into the poker room I put my name on the 15 and 10 Holdem lists. I looked around for John Cole and Mary or M…. or anyone I may know or may know me (after all according to John I’m famous now). No one aroused my suspicion of having recognized me so I sat down and waited for about 15 minutes. Then I got itchy. Probably from not playing much recently or maybe that fungus returned either way I went a game purveying.. The only mid limit game with an open seat was a 10 Stud game. I hate 10 stud. It’s a long story but I just hate it. But being true to form I sat down anyway. By the way there were 4 10 stud games going and as many 15 stud games also. Stud rules still at Foxwoods. Couple those with a 40 and I believe a 75 and you can see what I mean

On the road to Foxwoods I made my mind up to play 10 Holdem with a half kill. It can be a tough game at the Woods but I believe I have it figured out so I decided on that game. Now of course I much prefer 15 Holdem but Foxwoods almost never spreads a 15 game. Or should I say never did. To my surprise there was one full game and a partially full must move 15 game going. Don’t you know I get called for the 15 game first and move from the stud game with $200 less in red chips than I began with. I hate 10 stud. Now remember I came to play in the ½ kill 10 Holdem game. Well the second I sit in the 15 game I get called for the ½ kill game. What to do? Wait a minute, I’m thinking already. You guessed it. Fearing that the 15 game was going to break I decided to play in the 10 game because there were four of them going and they usually last. Plus that’s what I had been waiting for in the first place.

30 minutes into playing it dawned on me that there was, is, no kill. It didn’t really dawn. Some other player brought it up and I nodded my head in a “yeah, what’s up” manner. Well guess what boys and girls? No more 10 kill at Foxwoods. They are now spreading both 10 and 15 Holdem with no kill. Only the 5 Holdem game has a kill now. Of course if you listen to John Cole it’s a double kill game or was on Sunday morning. Yes, John and Mary showed up real late Saturday night. John blamed Mary for being late but…. Anyway the kills John were talking about were the game kill where the blinds and limits go up to 10 – 20 and the “no foldem” holdem kill that his opponents were using to “kill” him. Seems they play any two cards in that game at all times. I can still hear him as he waved goodnight. “Flopped a set of …. and a @#%%^ made runner runner and stuck it to me”. “Bye John” I said but, did not sorry for him. I was stuck about $700 when he and Mary left and my selfish mind was on my own woes. Besides if you play no foldem Holdem you must live and die with no foldem holdem. And boy do you ever swing between the two.

Oh, I left something out. Between the time I first saw John and the time he left, maybe 6 hours, I played 2 hours of 10 holdem. Broke even. , got bored and moved to a 15 S.H.E game. (Stud, Holdem, Stud eight or better.) I played in this game better than Oz could have himself. I played excellent stud. Did not lose a nickel during Stud rounds and never picked up a hand to mention. I have very little 8 or better experience..but I did not lose a nickel playing 8 or better and lost the only hand worth mentioning. Rolled up 3’s got swooped by none other than a stone cold wheel. Where’d he get that 3? Holdem of which I am probably the best danged mid limit Holdem player this side of the Mississippi cost me four hundred smackers. Now I could blame the fact that in this S.H.E game there were four “she’s”. Women, that is. The fairer sex. Right. But I won’t. Let’s just say, so much for being the best at the table. The S.H.E game broke after 3 hours and I was down $600 for the night. I then moved to 15 Stud. It and 10 Holdem were all that were available and I had lost my taste for Holdem. Especially 10 Holdem. I like the kill aspects of 10 holdem but don’t really like 10 holdem straight. Besides the game didn’t look real good. About an hour later John came by and said goodbye By then I was down another $100. Thus the $700 stuck.

My best poker buddy in the whole world, “Dangerous Dan”, calls me all kinds of names because of how I react when I am behind. He calls me “tilt muffin” or something like that. Anyway, he’s right. I hate to lose. I hate to lose more than I hate 10 stud. I hate to lose so much that I usually play until I get even or I get broke. I sometimes play through the whole weekend without sleeping. Don’t ask me why, you’ve done it too, so bah to you. Yes you have and you know it. Well, I have sworn at least a million times I wasn’t gonna play more than 8 hours at one sitting. And I don’t! Not any more. This was the last time. I played poker for seventeen straight hours. But it ain’t gonna happen again. No sir. I swear. Seventeen hours for $35? Yes, I was fortunate enough to get in a 15 Stud game (after two broke) that turned real good at around 5 in the morning. Soon I made a few hands and got my denero back. I was rolled up two times during my comeback stretch. I lost a $800 pot with rolled up sevens and won a 100 pot with rolled up dueces. So much for being rolled up. Well, guys and girls that was what happened this weekend to Vince at Foxwoods. Next Friday my best poker buddy in the whole world, “Dangerous Dan”, and I are playing in the FARGO Pairs Tournament at Foxwoods. Dangerous is playing the Omaha 8 section and I’ll be playing the Holdem section. On Saturday and Sunday we will also be playing the FARGO Tournaments. They all begin at 11 a.m. If you are in the neighborhood stop by and say hello. I will be wearing a gray baseball cap that has “Everything Vince” written on it. Dangerous Dan will be the big burly Irish guy laughing at me.

Vince

P.S. Today's my Birthday. Happy Birthday to you all!

10-10-2001, 02:02 AM
Happy 39th Birthday!

Ken Poklitar

10-10-2001, 01:00 PM
Vince,

Happy Birthday. You're right; it was a double kill game. So much for hand reading skills--if I have those to begin with. Small blind raises: QTo, QJo, 22, and so forth. Put 'em on a hand? UTG limps with K7o, Q4o, any A. Shoulda stood in bed.

Actually, I didn't blame Mary for arriving late; we had just driven in from Providence where we attended a small gathering in honor of my friend Randy Blasing, who had just published his sixth book of poetry--not counting his translations of the Turkish poet Nazim Hikmet, a communist, who wrote a good deal of his poetry while locked in a Turkish prison for thirteen years. Although Hikmet is one of the centuries best poets, none of his works are printed in any Turkish literature textbook because of his communist affiliation.

So, even thought the 5-10 game was a killer, we had a nice evening. As usual, it's a pleasure running into you, and I enjoyed watching you in the S.H.E. game with the ladies. I seem to recall a quote, "John, these ladies are ganging up on me, and I'm supposed to be the best player here." Vince, you were the best player there--by far. I've played against those ladies.

John

10-10-2001, 07:33 PM
Captain Tilt,

Happy Birthday. It looks like you were giving away the presents this time. The play longer to catch up is a big mistake. Usually, if you play too long you will get tired and not be able to concentrate. You'll probably argue and say that you stayed up 24 hours and got your money back plus more. This can happen, but it's only because the game got easier or you get lucky. Don't play when you are tired, it does not pay.

Good Luck

Mark