PDA

View Full Version : If I can't win multitabling...

Borno
07-11-2005, 04:19 PM
Am I a -ev player if I can win one tabling 5/10 PP but lose 4 tabling 2/4?

I only have about 1k hands at each.. I know the sample size is FAR too small.. but in general... if someone looses multitabling and wins single tabling is the single table winning just variance?

Alobar
07-11-2005, 04:20 PM
the fact that you cant answer this question, definately means you shouldnt be 4 tabling

Borno
07-11-2005, 05:54 PM
awesome post moron.

I am a mostly live player and have been playing live seriously for 7 years and I am just getting into online you dickwad.. If you don't have anything useful to say stop POLLUTING the forums.

IntoTheRain
07-11-2005, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
awesome post moron.

I am a mostly live player and have been playing live seriously for 7 years and I am just getting into online you dickwad.. If you don't have anything useful to say stop POLLUTING the forums.

[/ QUOTE ]
woah..take a chill pill dude, I don't think he meant anything negative by his comments. Just that you should make sure youre a winning player at 1 table over a large sample size before you start multi tabling.

TemetNosce
07-11-2005, 06:18 PM
While the sample size IS small and it's hard to say with any certainty, it is possible that you are -EV as a multitabler at this point. Also, playing multiple tables should decrease your variance and you will make more absolute dollars if you are a winning player. At the same time, though, your win rate per 100 hands will drop as you add more tables. You do lose edge as you add more tables. It is difficult to process a lot of information as you add tables, which will cause more mistakes.

I think multitabling is one of those things where you move up the number of tables one at a time gradually, seeing where your comfort level lies. Start with 2, once comfortable try 3, etc.

Personally, I only play 1-2 tables at a time. I found that I don't lose much by playing 2 tables at once, but once I get the third table up, I start missing out on info. I do not play for a living, just for the mental stimuation and to make a few bucks, so that kills some of the enjoyment for me because I like to try and read players. If I were playing for a living, I guess I'd try pretty hard to get comfortable playing 3+ tables.

Adde
07-11-2005, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
awesome post moron.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://trephination.net/gallery/macros/ohdramaimage.jpg

Alobar
07-11-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, playing multiple tables should decrease your variance

[/ QUOTE ]

woa, this statement is horribly wrong

[ QUOTE ]
At the same time, though, your win rate per 100 hands will drop as you add more tables. You do lose edge as you add more tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

This fact right here will INCREASE your varience (but that still isnt why your other statement is wrong)

bdk3clash
07-11-2005, 07:10 PM
Whoa--Alobar wasn't being a dick at all. Just stick with one table and maybe add another one if you get comfortable and/or bored. But more importantly, relax.

Also, Alobar's avatar is awesome. I recognized it as "Saturno Devorando a Su Hijo" by Goya right away. One of my favorite paintings.

Alobar
07-11-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
awesome post moron.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand by my original statement

Cubswin
07-11-2005, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the fact that you cant answer this question, definately means you shouldnt be 4 tabling

[/ QUOTE ]

Alobar
07-11-2005, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Also, Alobar's avatar is awesome. I recognized it as "Saturno Devorando a Su Hijo" by Goya right away. One of my favorite paintings.

[/ QUOTE ]

werd, I have a reprint of it hanging in my room, heh.

bdk3clash
07-11-2005, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

werd, I have a reprint of it hanging in my room, heh.

[/ QUOTE ]
Cool--I think I saw the original in the Prado in Madrid, but I'm not sure.

OrianasDaad
07-11-2005, 07:19 PM
Play one table. When you feel comfortable, add more.

I had always heard that multi-tabling decreased variance, but perhaps that is wrong. I'll have to look into it, but intuitively, it seems like it would.

Shoe
07-11-2005, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
awesome post moron

[/ QUOTE ]

The correct spelling is moran.

Alobar
07-11-2005, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Play one table. When you feel comfortable, add more.

I had always heard that multi-tabling decreased variance, but perhaps that is wrong. I'll have to look into it, but intuitively, it seems like it would.

[/ QUOTE ]

You will expect the exact same varience of a given sample size (assuming the exact same win rate) regardless of whether that sample is played on 1 table, or spread out over 4.

In reality tho, you will actually experience greater swings while mulittabling, because your win rate will be lower the more tables you play, due to the fact you arent concentrating as much on each table as you would be if it was the only table you played. And as your win rate drops, your swings get bigger.

The reason multitabling is soo profitable for a winning player is because the drop in win rate is vastly overcome by the sheer number of hands you can play in an hour. 3BB/100 playing 80 hands an hours, is much less money/hour than a 2BB/100 playing 320 hands an hour. Its also much more rake back. Obviously there will be a convergance point where adding more tables will decrease your overall gain, and this point is different for each person.