PDA

View Full Version : I Need Help With A Very Important Decision!!! (NOT Poker Related)

PokerProdigy
07-11-2005, 03:37 PM
I am a 20 year old college student and am in a dilemma about what majors I should get because I am find three majors very fascinating. However, I do NOT want to get 3 Bachelor degrees (at least not yet). So I think that I need to decide on which 2 subjects to major in, and then maybe later on down the road I can get the third one (for fun).

The 3 subjects in question are Economics, Philosophy, and Psychology. However, I have pretty much made up my mind that I will get a degree in Economics because if I go to graduate school in one of these subjects it will most likely be Economics. Also, Economics has more job prospects for people with a Bachelors degree than both Philosophy and Psychology.

So my question is, should I get a degree in Philosophy or Psychology? Basically, I want the degree that will benefit me the most personally, academically, and professionally. So, which degree would compliment Economics more? And which degree would help me receive a good/solid well-rounded education?

So, to restate my main question, I want to know which degree you think I should get (Philosophy or Psychology), AND MORE IMPORTANTLY WHY SHOULD I GET THAT DEGREE? You can answer this question however you want. You can lay out some pros and cons of each, or you can address the questions in the above paragraph. Basically, I am just looking for some more factors to consider, which will help me make the best decision. Furthermore, I do NOT care which one will help my poker game more, I just want to know which one will help ME more.

P.S. I have posted this on multiple forums, so don’t get upset if you’ve read this somewhere else/images/graemlins/smirk.gif.

ThaSaltCracka
07-11-2005, 03:40 PM
Philosophy, it will aid your critical thinking and logic more so then psychology.

swede123
07-11-2005, 03:40 PM
Major in Econ. If you are interested in Psych/Philosophy take some electives in these subjects, that should be plenty. I always found 90% of psychology very intuitive stuff that you should know anyway without taking classes. As far as Philosophy goes, it isn't for everyone. Take a few classes to explore it, but do not major in it.

Swede

whiskeytown
07-11-2005, 03:43 PM
I'm gonna say Philosophy

Psychology is really only good if you want to become a Psychologist - and never date a psychology major cause they're only in it cause they're as messed up as the people they help.

RB - (misspellings intentionial)

squeek12
07-11-2005, 03:45 PM
I seriously regret not majoring in Economics. Make sure you make some time to study Austrian Business cycle thoery. It's out of the mainstream, but IMO the best theory out there.

MD2020
07-11-2005, 03:46 PM
As always, you should look towards Kent Brockman for wisdom:

"Joblessness is no longer just for philosopy majors."

Random Image
07-11-2005, 03:53 PM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/tiant_gitties/hotdogeater.jpg

ThaSaltCracka
07-11-2005, 03:55 PM
my man, don't waste this, this has potential. but its not really random when it shows up in every thread.

nolanfan34
Careful now. You've got a great gimmick going, don't overuse it.

PokerBob
[ QUOTE ]
Basically, I want the degree that will benefit me the most personally, academically, and professionally.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both p's will do little for you professionally. Just pick the one you like, cuz you'll never really "use" either of them.

turnipmonster
07-11-2005, 03:56 PM
philosophy. it will give you a strong background in argumentation/logic/etc which is useful in many disciplines.

doing well at philosophy indicates that you will probably also be good at other disciplines that require the same skill set, like computer science. my first boss was a philosophy professor for 30 years before going into drug R&D at glaxo.

--turnipmonster

sfer
07-11-2005, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
However, I have pretty much made up my mind that I will get a degree in Economics because if I go to graduate school in one of these subjects it will most likely be Economics.

[/ QUOTE ]

You better like math. Like a lot.

sfer
07-11-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/tiant_gitties/hotdogeater.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG, that is sooooo sexy.