PDA

View Full Version : Roth IRA and Tax Considerations, Other Concerns

Jeffage
07-11-2005, 03:30 PM
I planned to max my Roth this year (and every year in the foreseeable future). Is the income cap on a Roth 100k? What happens if you do one and then end up making more than that by the end of the year...would that money have to be withdrawn, would their be a penalty, etc?

What's the alternative? Regular IRA? Right now I put 300 a paycheck into my work's 401k program. Should I max that (they don't match). Should I just let my Merryl Lynch guy do this stuff or handle it through my bank? Other info...I don't own a home yet (this is my last year of renting) and am 25.

Thanks,
Jeff

TN_POKER_MAN
07-11-2005, 04:35 PM
yes there is an income cap.
if you make a contribution only to late discover that one is not allowed, you will need to recharacterize the contribution as a regular (non-roth IRA contribution). There is no penalty for the adjustment.

Even non matched 401(k) contributions are made on a pre-tax basis, so don't fret too much...at least you're saving some tax on this year's return.

A regular IRA is an alternative. So too are annuities. I'd go with the IRA before contributing to an annuity.

r2b2
07-11-2005, 06:09 PM
Good Website
http://www.rothira.com/
Good idea to put into a Roth IRA /images/graemlins/smile.gif