PDA

View Full Version : Best poker book

bcr2283
07-11-2005, 03:23 PM
I was looking through some of the other threads and did not see this topic, can someone please suggest a good book that teaches a novice how to play? I have play poker like the pros by Phil Helmuth but when I read it I feel like im reading a pop up book that teaches you how to play. Thanks in advance!

ZBTHorton
07-11-2005, 03:32 PM
For limit hold'em Small Stakes Hold'em tends to be popular.

Harrington's books on tournaments are good for tournaments.

DiabloVt7
07-11-2005, 03:47 PM
get lee jone's winning low limit holdem, it will help someone learn the basics of preflop and post flop play. it is designed for limit play but will also provide general knowledge for holdem

ds914
07-11-2005, 03:50 PM
This is a great, short, easy-to-understand book. If I were you, I'd read this before you pick up Miller's book.

La Brujita
07-11-2005, 03:54 PM
Getting Started in Holdem is a great book. Lee J's book is also very good. GSIH will teach you limit, a little no limit and tourneys.

fnord_too
07-11-2005, 04:16 PM
Weighing the Odds in Hold'em Poker by King Yao is excellent. If limit hold em is your main game, I would buy this or Small Stakes Hold'em next. Personally I would go with Yao's book if I had to pick one, but both are very good.

XxGodJrxX
07-11-2005, 11:24 PM
While King Yao's book is excellent, I do not think it is a great book for beginners. In my opinion, it is much too mathematical and not so easy to understand for the average beginner. I read some crappy $5 book from Walgreens, then picked up SSHE and understood it well. I would read WLLHE/GSIH, then SSHE, then King Yao's book/TOP/HPFAP etc.

spaminator101
07-14-2005, 10:36 PM
id start with super system 2 by doyle brunson

adamstewart
07-14-2005, 10:42 PM
Even though I've never read it, I would put money on Ed Miller's "Getting Started in Hold'em" for being the best starting book out there.

(purely basing this on his track record with SSH).

Adam

benfranklin
07-15-2005, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was looking through some of the other threads and did not see this topic, can someone please suggest a good book that teaches a novice how to play? I have play poker like the pros by Phil Helmuth but when I read it I feel like im reading a pop up book that teaches you how to play. Thanks in advance!

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Read the Book Forum

2. Read the Beginners Forum

eric5148
07-15-2005, 03:06 AM
Theory Of Poker should ALWAYS be the first book for a semi-beginner. Then when you decide what game(s) you want to play, go to the books forum to see what to read for specific games.

wall_st
07-15-2005, 04:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Theory Of Poker should ALWAYS be the first book for a semi-beginner. Then when you decide what game(s) you want to play, go to the books forum to see what to read for specific games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry but I doubt there are too many beginners who want to learn anything besides hold em. Theory of poker is not a good book for a beginner IMHO.

Winning low limit hold em
Getting started in hold em
Small stakes hold em

are all great books for beginners.

Winning low limit hold em in particular is a good book for beginners. It gives reasonable starting hand requirements and will not result in as much variance in your play seeing as it is generally weak tight advice.

AngryCola
07-15-2005, 05:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry but I doubt there are too many beginners who want to learn anything besides hold em. Theory of poker is not a good book for a beginner IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely disagree, however I don't think it's the first book a beginner should read either. It's a good 2nd or 3rd book, but probably closer to 3rd. If a completely inexperienced beginner tries to read ToP first, it will likely go right over their head.

spaminator101
07-15-2005, 10:11 AM
you should try Gary Carsons book on hold em first its very simple and easy to understand

Keiju
07-15-2005, 10:36 AM
He says semi-beginner so im guessing that means about 1-2 months of playing poker.
Ive been playing for about 2 months now and The theory of poker was deffinately my favourite and most useful read, I also read SSHE and its damn good but theory of poker is even better.

Macedon
07-15-2005, 10:40 AM
This is probably not what you are looking for, but if you want a good read about a young poker player, pick up THE MAKING OF A POKER PLAYER by Matt Matros.

Just finished it today.
Great read.

TheRonin
07-15-2005, 10:53 AM
lee jones (low limit holdem) to matt hilgers (winning at internet poker) to dan harringtons books to slanksys

Stephen Gray
07-15-2005, 02:24 PM
1. Getting started in Hold 'Em
2. Theory of Poker
3. Small Stakes Hold 'Em
4. Theory of Poker
5. Small Stakes Hold 'Em
6. Theory of.. (You get the idea

Eventually read Hold 'Em Poker for Advanced Players when you start thinking about moving into tougher games. I am lead to believe that King Yao's book is very good, but I haven't read it yet, myself.

eric5148
07-15-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Eventually read Hold 'Em Poker for Advanced Players when you start thinking about moving into tougher games. I am lead to believe that King Yao's book is very good, but I haven't read it yet, myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Yao's book should be read before HPFAP, especially for an online player. Some of the concepts in HPFAP don't really apply to the type of game that you normally see online now.