PDA

View Full Version : 10-10 utg late in tourney tough situation

ineedmoneybad
02-14-2003, 07:37 PM
Late in a limit holdem tournament getting very close to the money, about 3 spots out of it. The table is 8 handed and playing extreamly tight with no short stacks and rarley any flops being taken. Blinds at 600-1200 I have a medium stack around 6000 in chips,
I get 10-10 utg and raise, a big problem hand for me late in tournaments. Since I had just raised the hand before with K-Qs and won the blinds this raise may have looked a little suspicious(like I was raising with other than a primo hand). The cutoff an agressive player with a larger stack 3 bets folded to me I call. This player likes to do a lot of semibluff raising on the flop. Flop is 8-9-k rainbow. Is this a check fold situation? I can think of many hands this guy could have that are worse than mine.
I bet, he raises I call fast, hoping he will check the turn with a worse hand than mine. Turn comes blank 3(8-9-k). I check he bets I fold. I still have around 3000 and a reasonable shot at the money. If I call him down on the turn and river and lose I'm extreamly short stacked and will definatly be the next one out. Would any others play this hand different?

sdplayerb
02-14-2003, 08:20 PM
I would have folded it preflop. You have no position, and the hand isn't that great with so many players left.

Would have called the three bet just for the implied odds on hitting trips

But that flop could not have been much worse for you.
What are the hands he could have?
AA-KK,QQ,JJ, AK. Even if he three bet 99,88 you are done.
Is there any possibility he three bet AQ or 77? Even if possible, those are the only hands you could be ahead on.
Maybe bet the flop (i'd check fold). But definitely fold when he raises.

SD

ineedmoneybad
02-14-2003, 09:17 PM
In this situation with the table so tight I would think raising with any pocket pair above 4s, A-10s, K-Q or better would be right, and the chances of winning the blinds would be so high. Any other thoughts on this?