PDA

View Full Version : What's Up With Dogs

RacersEdge
07-11-2005, 01:54 PM
I never really liked dogs much - and I hate the stereotype that you're not cool if you're not a "dog person".

What is it that makes owning dogs so popular? I mean they are messy - and smelly. You have to feed them, walk them, train them, take care of them. Some bark too much. They can tear up your stuff.

So with all that - why do so many people like/love dogs?

I'm really curious.

swede123
07-11-2005, 01:57 PM
They are loyal and happy. This is what sets them apart from most other animals (at least in my mind). They really do love you unconditionally, and that is why we put up with all their nasty and naughty behaviors.

Swede

MoreWineII
07-11-2005, 01:57 PM
When I get home each day and open the door to some dumb animal that is so happy to see me that it can't stop sprinting around the house while howling with glee...

It just makes all that other crap worth it.

johnc
07-11-2005, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I get home each day and open the door to some dumb animal that is so happy to see me that it can't stop sprinting around the house while howling with glee...

It just makes all that other crap worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Soul Daddy
07-11-2005, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate the stereotype that you're not cool if you're not a "dog person".

[/ QUOTE ]
I have never heard this "stereotype."

What the others said. They are nice companions. My dog can almost always put a smile on my face.

adios
07-11-2005, 02:02 PM
A lot of women love dogs btw. When I take either of my bloodhounds for a walk in the local park I get some very interesting reactions and questions. My dogs are my friends and the negative things, which there are few of, are far outweighed by the positive.

bisonbison
07-11-2005, 02:09 PM
I hate the stereotype that you're not cool if you're not a "dog person".

Well, it's not a stereotype so much as it's just weird not to like dogs. Dogs and cats, on average, are very lovable animals. I can understand not liking pet birds or snakes. But the big 2 mammal pets? Usually quite good.

[censored]
07-11-2005, 02:16 PM
their my friends, I enjoy the companionship.

I wouldn't say your uncool but I find your position somewhat weird.

BeerMoney
07-11-2005, 02:18 PM
I have a cat that has actually has a nice personality. She kind of has the benefits of a dog without all of the work.

I like dogs, but am not crazy about them. Some are absolutely awesome, others are just a pain in the ass.

Aggressive dogs are the worst.

MoreWineII
07-11-2005, 02:24 PM
Ew, cats.

davelin
07-11-2005, 02:54 PM
I get to see this face everyday -

http://img308.imageshack.us/img308/5035/oscar0079gw.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

Guy Incognito
07-11-2005, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I mean they are messy - and smelly. You have to feed them, walk them, train them, take care of them. Some bark too much. They can tear up your stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a difference between not liking dogs, and not wanting to endure the hassles of dog ownership. I can understand someone not wanting to own a dog, but not liking them at all...

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-11-2005, 03:07 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/pwarcham/img_01582.jpg

swede123
07-11-2005, 03:16 PM
This is turning into a picture of your dog thread, I like it! Here's my contribution, my pup when he was 11 weeks old, along with my lovely wife.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/jonasola/40b0d557.jpg

Swede

Blarg
07-11-2005, 05:05 PM
People are also messy, smelly, expensive, and require time and care. Being able to get past that is what helps make you cool as a dog owner, friend, or parent. And being a dog owner is by far the easiest of the three.

It's good training for the other two. There are people who like dogs but don't care about treating them well, and people who flat out don't like dogs. Liking dogs and relating to them well is no guarantee of a great person, but I've noted that people who don't care for animals of any kind miss out on some life lessons that they can easily apply elsewhere, and then come up short. Kind of like only children are very often spoiled and don't know how to relate to roommates; they haven't had the chance to learn how to get along and compromise with people they live with, and that's not an asset by a long shot. They've got a whole big mindset change to go through, and they'll kind of suck bad until they do. Everyone will know it but them.

Not liking dogs and knowing how to care for them well, being reluctant at the thought of putting yourself out even only as much as a DOG needs -- which really isn't much at all, especially for the incredible affection and loyalty and fun you get back -- does seem to show a selfish person more often than not, in my experience.

Appreciating a dog is like appreciating anything else that's beautiful or cool, and if you don't know how to do that, you're throwing away something good. But if it's caring for and making some small sacrifices for even a dog that puts you off, it's a pretty clear sign that you're probably selfish and won't be very developed when it comes to giving to people, either.

RacersEdge
07-11-2005, 05:33 PM
I was thinking about dogs because I was amazed at how many people in my apartment complex have them - especially a lot of women. I wonder if the dog is really happy living in a small apartment where it has to spend most of the day cooped up while the owner is away.

I was actually consider getting one, but I'm not sure how it would go. I just picture scenes from Turner and Hooch taking place.

Maybe if I could rent one for a few days....

MoreWineII
07-11-2005, 05:35 PM
Dogs are like kids that aren't very smart.

swede123
07-11-2005, 05:39 PM
The Turner and Hooch dog was a huge mastiff, one of the larger breeds around. Obviously you don't want a 150 lb dog in a one bedroom apartment. That's the beauty of dogs though, there are so many different breeds, with varying sizes, exercise requirements, temperaments etc. If you do decide on looking into getting a dog do some research, visit the AKC website and read some of the descriptions of the dogs listed there. Certain breeds really don't mind being cooped up for several hours each day, as long as you give them the exercise and attention they need when you are home. Obviously it isn't like a smaller animal that you just feed and clean up after, you need to give it some of yourself. But assuming you're willing to do that there are lots of dogs that are perfectly happy living in apartments.

Swede

kevyk
07-11-2005, 05:46 PM
Living in an apartment isn't by itself an impediment to having a dog; get a female of a small- to medium-sized breed and you should have few problems. Even if you do go with a larger dog, it should be happy as long as you give it plenty of exercise outside.

Not having the time to devote to raising and properly training one is a big problem, however. This is the big reason why I do not currently have a dog. I am single and work full time at a job to which I commute. Not fair at all to a puppy.

ptmusic
07-11-2005, 05:56 PM
Studies have shown that pet owners (obviously including dogs) live longer, happier, and healthier lives.

Count me in.

-ptmusic

Blarg
07-11-2005, 06:29 PM
Big dogs in small apartments is kind of sad, I think. And all dogs that don't get a chance to really run like hell aren't living it up much. It's just their nature to be active and run like crazy. Even the lazy ones like it, once they get the chance.

Cats seem better for apartments, to me. And since they sleep 18 hours a day, you don't have to feel so bad about leaving them alone. Or about their asses and bladders bursting all day as they wait for you to come home and let them out. It's a miracle that dogs learn so well to hold it for so damn long, and without deadly consequence. I doubt many people could hold a pee or a poop that had to come out for a whole day, and have read that people have died trying.

If you socialize the heck out of a cat, they can become surprisingly dog like. Follow you everywhere, great you at the door every day, can't get enough of you, etc. You just can't roughhouse with them and intrude on their space like you can with dogs or people. But once you let them have their own space and feel like they're free and not trapped, they're not wary and stand-offish any more. It's just that we have to adapt to them a little, and that's a little weird for us. We don't really have to adapt to dogs at all.

Subfallen
07-11-2005, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is turning into a picture of your dog thread, I like it! Here's my contribution, my pup when he was 11 weeks old, along with my lovely wife.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't be the only one who thinks it's embarassingly over-earnest to refer to your spouse as "lovely." Have some self-respect people, please.

Blarg
07-11-2005, 06:39 PM
Unless you're an outdoor fitness nut, a big or medium dog probably won't get the exercise he needs to keep his spirits totally healthy and his health optimum. I don't think many people have the commitment to regularly exercise their dogs.

That's why a dog is probably better if you're already really settled down, too. A young guy out looking for girls all the time, and being really active about going out and hanging with friends, just establishing his career, etc., doesn't really have all that much quiet time alone, or inclination to spend it walking dogs. Even with great intentions and being a real dog lover, the temptation to come home a little later because you grabbed a few drinks right after work with friends or guys from the office is pretty normal and frequent, and in the meantime your dog's going to be dying to take a crap. It's not ideal.

RacersEdge
07-11-2005, 06:44 PM
If you wanted a dog, would you go purebreed or mutt? I know this is a can of worms, because there are so many homeless dogs out there, but I'd be interested in hearing arguments both ways.

Also, can you have a dog housebroken by an obedience school, or does the dog have to be in the actual house it will be living to be trained what to do and not do?

There is one dog I kind of like - Italian Greyhound. Anyone have any knowledge about that dog. I was just reading about them - them seem like pretty cool dogs.

[censored]
07-11-2005, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't be the only one who thinks it's embarassingly over-earnest to refer to your spouse as "lovely." Have some self-respect people, please.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh man, this is why your one of my favorites. excellent work.

adios
07-11-2005, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you wanted a dog, would you go purebreed or mutt? I know this is a can of worms, because there are so many homeless dogs out there, but I'd be interested in hearing arguments both ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got both and would recommend either. If your going for a purebreed pick one whose temperment agrees with you. IMO it's more of an effort in picking out a purebreed as I think it's wise to check out the breeder personally. Also if you buy one from a breeder and it's show quality the breeder will probably want you to show it. So if you don't want to show your dog you probably should shy away from show quality. And yep the breeders often want to check you out as well. Also there are issues regarding spaying and neutering as well as AKC registration if you want to show your dog. I've got a mutt that was abandoned as a pup. I regularly take it to a kennel to socialize with other dogs and the comments I get are that he's a great dog and I concur whole heartedly. I couldn't be more pleased with him.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, can you have a dog housebroken by an obedience school, or does the dog have to be in the actual house it will be living to be trained what to do and not do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I housebroke my dogs at home and I'm not sure how you'd accomplish it in an obedience class at least not with the techniques I used. Most dogs get it pretty fast but I have a dog door at my home where they come and go as the please pretty much. I think that helps alot.

[ QUOTE ]
There is one dog I kind of like - Italian Greyhound. Anyone have any knowledge about that dog. I was just reading about them - them seem like pretty cool dogs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know much about this breed.

RacersEdge
07-11-2005, 07:24 PM
I really don't care about show quality. So I guess a dog can be purebreed and not show quality? I'm guessing this means a couple physical blemishes here and there.

What's the purebreed procedure - find the closest breeder to you, go there, pick your puppy, pay the breeder, and he gives you the dog and some type of certification papers? Is that all?

Chiron
07-11-2005, 08:32 PM
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/495/tasha5hy.jpg

my wonderful dog.

how can you say no to that face?

SCfuji
07-11-2005, 08:34 PM
because your other alternative is a cat and cats suck.

Lazymeatball
07-11-2005, 08:34 PM
I got to see this lovely mug coming after my face at work last night.
http://us.inmagine.com/img/dynamicgraphics/dg15022/dg15022028.jpg

Blarg
07-11-2005, 08:37 PM
That's supposed to be the original word you can't use without laughing, but I think he was using it as an enjoyably silly stock phrase.

Kind of a shame though that it becomes almost against the law to use perfectly good words sometimes. The famous one is "gay," a word there still is no adequate substitute for, and now our language is the poorer for it.

Blarg
07-11-2005, 08:40 PM
People train other people's dogs for them, even down to that, but since the "test" of whether the puppy is housebroken is going to come several times a day and you and it won't be moving into the obedience school until the matter is resolved, there's no way you'll get out of it completely.

Think of guard dogs and seeing eye dogs. They're adult, sometimes a couple of years old, by the time they go out to their permanent owners.

I think I read that greyhounds are bitey, but am not sure.

MoreWineII
07-11-2005, 08:43 PM
http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/6972/pizzadog1lu.jpg

KJS
07-11-2005, 08:46 PM
What about those of us who would rather spend our time developing our human relationships instead of those with animals. How many dog people do you know who are always saying no to cool human-only sh*t because of their animals? I know a few.

Call me selfish for not wanting kids or dogs, but I like adult humans and would prefer to spend my time with them.

KJS

Blarg
07-11-2005, 08:58 PM
Non-show quality dogs are perfectly fine, and often in better health than the show quality dogs. They are basically worthless to a breeder specializing in show dogs, so they go for far, far less money.

They don't necessarily even have what you or I would consider a defect. They just don't have exactly what's required to fit whatever is in fashion in dog shows at the moment. For instance, a more pushed-in nose or more sloping hindquarters may actually be unhealthy, but if the show "standards" (*ahem*) call for those features and a puppy doesn't have them, his worth drops to zero to the show breeder yet is exactly the same to someone who just wants a nice dog -- maybe higher, actually, because he's without a few of the extreme traits that show dogs can have which really do nothing for a dog at all.

That doesn't mean non-show dogs can't have problems too. Breeders are required by law to tell you of any health problems, but you also MUST take the initiative and ask if any have been noted. Look at the alignment of the teeth -- open the mouth and close it and see if there are problems. See if the eyes and ears are clear, or if the nose is runny. Illnesses can literally and I'm not kidding kill puppies and kittens within hours, so be very careful. Don't get an animal the breeder assures you will get healthy "later," you need it healthy NOW.

Try to find a dog that seems alert and sociable. Not all puppies stay shaky around people forever, but puppies are naturally very curious and sociable, and it's not a great sign when a puppy either shows no interest in people or is afraid of them. Be careful about feeling too sorry for the puppy that wants nothing to do with anyone, as it could have problems you'll have to put up with and have real difficulty with. You may not want the yippiest one of the bunch either, but you really want one that either approaches you WHEN YOU HAVE BEEN QUIET, SEATED, AND NON-THREATENING for a while, or who after being around you for a bit, warms up once you make the approach. Spend some time with a breeder. If you are not prepared to spend a leisurely half hour at least, go another day. Don't let the breeder or your significant other rush you. This is a BIG decision that both you and the dog will pay the price for. Take the time to test your rapport. And don't be afraid to pick the one you rather than your friends like.

Take a good look at the surroundings. If you feel a breeder is not treating the dogs right, you may want to take your business elsewhere. You can't get rid of dog smells all that easily if you're a breeder, what with puppies constantly peeing and pooing and wandering and drooling. But you should look for cleanliness otherwise and an impression that the dogs are raised with socialization, not as if they were in a factory. Human socialization is very important, and you are much more likely to get a dog without a problem personality if you have a breeder who truly loves and spends time with her dogs rather than someone who just houses them and leaves them to their business.

It's common to get a receipt for your animal in which the breeder attests to the dog's health when you buy it. This will help you in a court of law and to get the breeder in very hot water for unethical behavior with the AKC(American Kennel Club) or other show organizations, if they try to rip you off in some way.

To find a breeder, just look in the classifieds in your paper, or pick up Dog Fancy magazine, which isn't too hard to find at magazine stands. Don't be put off by seeing huge prices, as those are for show dogs. You will always pay MUCH much less for non-show quality, called simply "pet" quality. If the breeder has too much stock, you may get quite a bargain. But if you come across as some obnoxious jerk who's just out to weasel a deal, you may wind up with nothing. Some breeders suck, but most would like to think that their animals are going to a nice home with nice people in it.

Pet quality papers will certify that you have a pet quality animal and where its bloodline comes from, but will not allow offspring to have papers, as I recall. That's fine, and since you're not trying to show your dogs, you don't even really need the papers for your own dogs, either.

Blarg
07-11-2005, 09:07 PM
I don't see anybody having to choose. If you can't have a dog because it will destroy your ability to socialize with people, you were on extremely thin ice anyway and the dog sure wasn't the problem in the first place.

I don't know many people who "are always saying now to human-only sh*t because of their animals." I've known so many animal people all my life, and I can't think of an instance of what you're talking about.

Unless you count feeding the dog and letting him out to take a crap as excessive and anti-social. Which I don't. It doesn't take that long, and that's just the price of having a dog -- they eat. They also poop. Just like you and everyone you know. They don't like holding it in any more than you do, and probably do a lot better job of it than you. And I'm sure it isn't much fun. You can't resent something for wanting to eat and poop -- that's just getting a little too far along the nutball curve. If feeding someone or something and letting it poop is just too much to ask, that business about having problems relating to people crops up again, and it's a pretty legit warning sign as to problems in a person.

RacersEdge
07-11-2005, 09:28 PM
Is the idea that purebreeds tend to have more health problems than a regular mutt you would pick up at a pound or from a friend? Does keeping a dog as a purebreed increase his susceptabilty to sicknesses?

The Italian greyhounds seem pretty good - smallish, short hair, non-barkers, smart, clean, stylish - I think I did see something about GH's nipping - but it was if you woke them abruptly - which is understandable. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lazymeatball
07-11-2005, 09:32 PM
If you go with with the Itie, just be careful not to drop them, their legs snap like twigs.

Blarg
07-11-2005, 09:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is the idea that purebreeds tend to have more health problems than a regular mutt you would pick up at a pound or from a friend? Does keeping a dog as a purebreed increase his susceptabilty to sicknesses?

The Italian greyhounds seem pretty good - smallish, short hair, non-barkers, smart, clean, stylish - I think I did see something about GH's nipping - but it was if you woke them abruptly - which is understandable. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Some purebreeds have been bred into genetically disastrous states, like German shephers, which almost always have hip problems now(hip dysplasia) because of decades of breeding them to have hindquarters that slope down drastically from their forequarters. There are no health benefits whatever to that kind of look, quite the contrary. But there it is; breeding is sometimes freaky to the point of what I would consider inhumane.

Other breeds are not su badly bred, even though they may be inbred in ways that lend themselves to more diseases. For instance, persian cats often have heart problems, though they look okay on the outside -- pretty robust even. It wouldn't hurt to ask your veterinarian if there are commonly known weaknesses with any particular breeds, and tell him your situation. I saw an excellent guide to picking the right dog or cat in my vet's office. I've seen resources on the web for that too.

Be way of listening to what breeders say; they are in the business of not only selling dogs, but their particular breed, which they've developed a natural affinity for or had a natural affinity for in the first place. That's probably not where you will get the most unbiased advice. Most people are very, very ignorant about animals, so you won't get much useful info from friends and family either, most likely, especially since their "sample size" will be extremely tiny. One good or bad dog of a breed that they've had, or even five, won't really be as much good evidence of what the breed is about as they might insist.

If you get a non-purebred dog, they might be just as susceptible to diseases, because you have no idea what you are getting, and diseases are also quite common among animals that run around outdoors. So there is really no guarantee of health. A good breeder can help ensure it, but not if she's working with something that's already been genetically weakened through overbreeding. Mixed breeding can generally tend toward it, but dogs will screw ANYTHING, so you're not exactly getting the result of some "survival of the fittest" with a mixed breed. You could actually be getting the offspring of various sorts of rejected genetic inferiors.

It's also not uncommon to bring a pound dog home and have him infect the animals you have, so if you already have animals, or your friends are bringing animals over, be sure that everyone in the chain gets their shots. An animal simply sniffing another through your screen door can pick up leukemia or other diseases and sometimes be dead within days, so keep up on your shots.

One thing you can do well to ask breeders about is whether their particular bloodline has problems with certain vaccinations. For instance, some lines of cats do very poorly on the combined vaccine that protects against feline leukemia. It's very harsh on the immune system overall, for cats that is, and not all shots are of equal quality. This is a place where your vet may have less exposure than the occasional breeder, who is highly aware of exactly what has been going on in the history of the bloodline he's breeding.

So ... check your vet to see if has good info -- not just an opinion or favortism toward one dog. If he doesn't have it -- heck, even if he does, go check around the internet. There are guides to finding the right breed, how to buy, what shots to get when, etc.

MissOt
07-11-2005, 10:17 PM
http://www.2flashgames.com/viewlink.php?url=http://www.lookatentertainment.com/v/v-1346.htm&id=1715

adios
07-12-2005, 11:31 AM

adios
07-12-2005, 11:38 AM
FWIW, I was discussing this thread and your posts with my wife. She thought that Westies might be of interest to you. You might actually want to check out a dog show and get a line on some of the breeds even though show dogs aren't of interest. I'm not really partial to smaller dogs as a rule and don't generally pay much attention to them at the shows. However, I did watch them at the last show I attended (4th of July weekedn) and observed some very nice smaller dogs that seemed to have great personalities. Also FWIW IMO Blarg has posted some great info and advice in this thread.

West Highland White Terriers Site (http://www.westies.net/)

CollinEstes
07-12-2005, 11:40 AM
Terriers are good because they don't shed that much. But I hear that they like to chew on stuff alot.

KJS
07-12-2005, 01:15 PM
Maybe my typo made it confusing. What I meant to convey was I personally don't understand people who can't do things like go on roadtrips, go camping (yes some people will not bring their dog camping), not rush home after work, etc. because of their animals. I can't imagine that an animal could provide me with as much amusement as a weekend with adult humans, or even some happy hour beers.

And no, I don't consider the simple act of watching a dog poop and putting their sh** in little bags excessive and anti-social, but that little responsibility can get in the way of things sometimes. Like you said, Fodo doesn't like to hold that poop in, so Mr. Fodo must run home sometimes to be a good dog-daddy.

KJS

PokerCat69
07-12-2005, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
People are also messy, smelly, expensive, and require time and care. Being able to get past that is what helps make you cool as a dog owner, friend, or parent. And being a dog owner is by far the easiest of the three.

It's good training for the other two. There are people who like dogs but don't care about treating them well, and people who flat out don't like dogs. Liking dogs and relating to them well is no guarantee of a great person, but I've noted that people who don't care for animals of any kind miss out on some life lessons that they can easily apply elsewhere, and then come up short. Kind of like only children are very often spoiled and don't know how to relate to roommates; they haven't had the chance to learn how to get along and compromise with people they live with, and that's not an asset by a long shot. They've got a whole big mindset change to go through, and they'll kind of suck bad until they do. Everyone will know it but them.

Not liking dogs and knowing how to care for them well, being reluctant at the thought of putting yourself out even only as much as a DOG needs -- which really isn't much at all, especially for the incredible affection and loyalty and fun you get back -- does seem to show a selfish person more often than not, in my experience.

Appreciating a dog is like appreciating anything else that's beautiful or cool, and if you don't know how to do that, you're throwing away something good. But if it's caring for and making some small sacrifices for even a dog that puts you off, it's a pretty clear sign that you're probably selfish and won't be very developed when it comes to giving to people, either.

[/ QUOTE ]
How about someone who doesn't like dogs but likes other pets such as cats? eh [censored]. Making a blanket statement about people being selfish and "coming up short" for not owning a dog is just absurd.
Pull your head out of your ass buddy

imported_The Vibesman
07-12-2005, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I never really liked kids much - and I hate the stereotype that you're not cool if you're not a "kid person".

What is it that makes having kids so popular? I mean they are messy - and smelly. You have to feed them, walk them, train them, take care of them. Some cry too much. They can tear up your stuff.

So with all that - why do so many people like/love kids?

I'm really curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

thewarden
07-12-2005, 02:06 PM
One of my favorite dog quotes is "Choosing a dog is the only chance you have to choose a family member."

I got my first dog, Rufus, when my GF was going through chemotherapy and had lost all her hair and wasn't feeling well enough to leave the house and was in desparate need of something to cheer her up.
After a particularly good week of poker, I had made enough to buy him, brought him home and Sharon was able to bond with something that would love her no matter what she looked like, how she was feeling or what she was thinking. Knowing that no matter what, the pup and I would be at her side through the ordeal helped her immensely and brought joy to her life at a time when joy was at a premium. There wasn't time to go out for happy hour beers or much of anything else at the time. Did we miss out on social occasions? Sure. Did we regret it? Not at all.
Do I miss some social occasions now becuase I have to take care of my dogs? Some, but not many.

RacersEdge
07-12-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I never really liked kids much - and I hate the stereotype that you're not cool if you're not a "kid person".

What is it that makes having kids so popular? I mean they are messy - and smelly. You have to feed them, walk them, train them, take care of them. Some cry too much. They can tear up your stuff.

So with all that - why do so many people like/love kids?

I'm really curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying you hate kids? That's cold..

KJS
07-12-2005, 08:27 PM
I can tell you have a good balance. I know you are a cool, social guy who manages what he wants and that is great. You want some dog-time, go for it. I am reacting to those who imply that somehow not being into animals conveys that someone is not good with people, primarily due to being too selfish. I am offering an alternative: that some people cherish their adult relationships to the point they don't want other things to get in the way of them, such as pets. Doesn't sound selfish to me. Humancentric maybe, egocentric, I don't think so.

And your puppies are pretty irresistable from the pics I've seen. I'd turn down some sh** for them too.

KJS

dlk9s
07-12-2005, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What about those of us who would rather spend our time developing our human relationships instead of those with animals. How many dog people do you know who are always saying no to cool human-only sh*t because of their animals? I know a few.

Call me selfish for not wanting kids or dogs, but I like adult humans and would prefer to spend my time with them.

KJS

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife and I have actually met a lot of our friends because of our dog. We've lived in apartment complexes for the four years we've had our dog and discovered that our walks are great for meeting people. Plus, our dog is the cutest one in the neighborhood, so everybody wants to pet her.

We even became friends with Miss Elizabeth (yes, that Miss Elizabeth) because our dogs became best buddies. She had a German Shepherd, we have a little 14-pound mutt. Her big dog liked to play by putting my dog's head in its mouth. Needless to say, we pulled them apart when this would happen. It was just playing, no harm done, but the last thing we needed is for the big dog to sneeze or something. /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Blarg
07-13-2005, 02:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
How about someone who doesn't like dogs but likes other pets such as cats? eh [censored]. Making a blanket statement about people being selfish and "coming up short" for not owning a dog is just absurd.
Pull your head out of your ass buddy

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be the most retarded person on earth. I never said anything remotely like that. How the hell you came up with that is a mystery between you and your God, or something. You've got to learn to read for context.

In fact, I've owned cats myself and like them quite a lot. I'm both a cat and a dog person.