PDA

View Full Version : Dreaded turn card

cartman
07-11-2005, 01:25 PM
UTG is 26/16 and very aggressive postflop. He is probably a good player, but I haven't seen enough to confirm it.

PREFLOP: UTG raises, everyone folds, Hero calls in the BB with J /images/graemlins/diamond.gifT /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

FLOP: J /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Hero checks, UTG bets, Hero raises, UTG calls.

TURN: A /images/graemlins/club.gif
Hero bets, UTG raises, Hero folds.

I was torn between checking the turn and calling down and taking the line that I took. Against such a bluffable turn card I was really unsure.

What do you think?

Would you have taken a different line with K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif?

Thanks,
Cartman

Lmn55d
07-11-2005, 01:36 PM
I made a post yesterday about a very similar situation. At the time, I took your line. I now think that your opponent will bluff so frequently that you should check/call the turn and river. This way you don't forfeit your probably 5 outs if behind and you don't ever fold the best hand.

xLukex
07-11-2005, 01:36 PM
UTG's action represents an ace.

Raise preflop: AT, AQ, AK (No AJ or the flop would've 3-bet).

Flop: Villain will auto-bet in this position, but only call your raise as he didn't hit his hand. Will probably check/fold the turn if it's a blank.

Turn: Voila, villain's HIG. I check/fold here.

redbeard
07-12-2005, 03:06 AM
it seems like a place where many players will bluff raise so unless you are absolutely convinced he has an ace wouldn't the line of check/call the turn and bet/fold to a raise on the river be the best way to handle it -- as people seem much more willing to bluff raise turns than rivers.

Stack
07-12-2005, 03:36 AM
I kind of like what Lmn55d says (check/call turn and river because of 5 outs + you may have the best hand), but I'm not convinced.

I just can't see many hands that a UTG 26/16 will raise that do not beat us on the turn; 77,88,99,TT maybe but this doesn't really relate to their turn play.

[ QUOTE ]
Would you have taken a different line with K J?

[/ QUOTE ]

3bet preflop. After the flop, your problem is not kicker related imo.

cartman
07-12-2005, 07:54 AM
Folding the best hand becomes even more of a mistake on the river. Also, if he is a player who has noticed that I often bet and fold to a raise on the turn or river, I don't know that raising the river with something worse than my hand is out of the question, especially since the gaybet looks weak.

Cartman

redbeard
07-18-2005, 05:00 AM
so would the concensus then be check call the turn and river?

NLSoldier
07-18-2005, 05:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
UTG's action represents an ace.

Raise preflop: AT, AQ, AK (No AJ or the flop would've 3-bet).

Flop: Villain will auto-bet in this position, but only call your raise as he didn't hit his hand. Will probably check/fold the turn if it's a blank.

Turn: Voila, villain's HIG. I check/fold here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check folding here is ridiculous.

aslowjoe
07-18-2005, 11:08 AM
I do not like check call. I would lead into like you. Whether or not I fold to raise I don't know. Most likely.
Check call you don't have odds to call and if you think your ahead you are giving him infinite outs with a gutshot 99 etc.

donger
07-18-2005, 01:44 PM
River bet-fold lines open you up to all sorts of abuse from perceptive players.

Noodles
07-18-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
3bet preflop. After the flop, your problem is not kicker related imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

why the hell would you 3 bet jts preflop in the BB,heads up?

that is daft

Noodles
07-18-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop: AT, AQ, AK (No AJ or the flop would've 3-bet

[/ QUOTE ]

you think these are the only hands someone raises in UTG pf,
what about pairs,KQs,KJs?

BongRips
07-19-2005, 11:14 AM
He was responding to his question about KdJd, though I'm not sure I would 3 bet pf with it.