PDA

View Full Version : Make a profit?

hibolin
07-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Iīve been playing HE for a couple of months or so, and i am getting more and more interested in the game and its concepts.
And what drives me to try to make good decisions is the profit...
Iīve been winning some (little) on low fixed limits (1/2)longhanded ringgames, and i have read a couple of books (SSHE, re-reading now, ToP, WLLH).

But, it seems to me that everyone is quite good at hold em, even at low limits...
I mean, itīs not like what they describe in SSHE and similar books where at least 6-8 players are seeing the flop...
Itīs rather 3-4...

So, is it really that hard to make a profit on fixed low limit?
Suggestions? Should i try to learn NL or shorthanded games?
Have missed any important concepts?

Im thankful for answers and ideas..

iluzion
07-11-2005, 01:22 PM
"longhanded" hehe.. but anyway, 1/2 (at party skins?) is a tight rockgarden.. otherwise its EXTREMELY easy to make a large (in proportion to the big bet) profit at micro limit and small stakes limit.

SoftcoreRevolt
07-11-2005, 04:24 PM
1/2 is NOT a tight rock garden. At 9 and 10Max you can EASILY find tables where 5-6 people are seeing the flop everyhand.

People are just lazy and can't be bothered to check more than two tables before they sit down and play.

Bosox
07-12-2005, 12:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But, it seems to me that everyone is quite good at hold em, even at low limits...

[/ QUOTE ]

I admit it, I actually laughed out loud. VF.
sox

TStoneMBD
07-12-2005, 06:44 PM
the games may be tight, but that doesnt mean that the players are good.

i forgot who said this, but someone once said that you can no longer beat small stakes games only by looking at a starting hand chart.

the lavyest
07-12-2005, 06:56 PM
people love to suck out but that is where your profit is found

Snoogins47
07-12-2005, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the games may be tight, but that doesnt mean that the players are good.

i forgot who said this, but someone once said that you can no longer beat small stakes games only by looking at a starting hand chart.

[/ QUOTE ]

That seems to be what I've noticed too, even though i've only been playing about a year. The average low limit game now seems to be a good deal tougher than the average low limit game one year ago (I'm referring to online play)

Doesn't mean it's not beatable (much like saying somebody is skinnier than Roseanne doesn't mean that person is thin) but I wondered if I was crazy in my noticing that or not.

jstewsmole
07-12-2005, 08:20 PM
the games online are tighter than there live counterpart.
Those games that Ed mentions in SSH are found live.
I just played at a 5/10 live herein cleveland at a charity poker club and it made party .5/1 look like a rock garden.
every pot was over at least 100 bucks. No joke.

The players online at the smaller stakes just know to be tighter for the most part, there still atrocious postflop.

fire_fly
07-12-2005, 09:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I admit it, I actually laughed out loud. VF.
sox

[/ QUOTE ]

I too smiled when I read this, but I do know where he is coming from. From listening to people on here talk about party, one would assume that almost everyone there is a 65/2/.5 donk, which is far from the truth.

1/2 and up isn't like that at all. So when you say you laughed, hope it wasn't AT the OP. His comments do hold some truth.

zokbarjazz
07-12-2005, 09:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
bdk3clash made a good post a while back about how being tight and aggressive preflop is not enough.