PDA

View Full Version : What words would people choose to remember you at your funeral?

Mike Gallo
07-11-2005, 12:55 PM
Yesterday we had a memorial service for my father in law. He passed on 6-1-05. He missed living to see his 61st birthday by 17 days.

My father in law worked for the NJ state police as a state trooper. He started as motorcycle patrolman,and eventually transferred to the gaming division and worked out of Atlantic City.

His death came as a shock to many people. Although my father in law knew he was dying, he did not share it with anyone.

Before my father in law died, he asked for Deacon "Greg" to say a few words at the memorial service.

Deacon Greg served as a state trooper and my father in law and Deacon Greg worked together. Greg moved on to narcotics and my father in law went into gaming. Although they did not work in the same unit, they spoke from time to time.

Deacon Greg showed his emotion when we explained that my father in law asked for his specifically. Deacon Greg considered it a great honor and did a great job. He left me looking at life in a new perspective. During his eulogy Deacon Greg stated.." When we all die and we have a headstone it will read born-died. In between is just a dash....just a dash." Deep for me.

All of this got me to wondering...what would people say about me at my funeral/memorial service.

I knew my father in law for five years. I considered him one of the finest men I have had the pleasure of knowing. If you asked his opinion, like it or not, you would get it.

Thanks to those who made it this far, I needed to vent.

Macdaddy Warsaw
07-11-2005, 12:58 PM
I don't plan on dying, but if it comes to that, I just hope it won't be a sad service.

swede123
07-11-2005, 01:28 PM
I agree with MacDaddy. I hope I die under circumstances (old age) that people know that I lived a happy, full life. That way they can celebrate my life rather than dwelling on my death.

Swede

MoreWineII
07-11-2005, 01:54 PM
It's strange that something that happens to every single person is still so scary.

Anyway, I think funerals should be more a celebration of the life that was lived rather than a ceremony where everyone is miserable thinking about what was lost.

I hope that's how mine is.

SmileyEH
07-11-2005, 02:11 PM
I'm retiring on a sailboat and intend to die at sea alone or in the company of a polynesian 20 something.

-SmileyEH

Macdaddy Warsaw
07-11-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm retiring on a sailboat and intend to die at sea alone or in the company of a polynesian 20 something.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

Gender unspecified? Hmmm...

BeerMoney
07-11-2005, 02:37 PM
Honest.

whiskeytown
07-11-2005, 03:25 PM
"what happened to whiskeytown - he used to come here all the time?"

(don't expect anyone to remember me by the time I die) -

RB

poker-penguin
07-11-2005, 03:35 PM
I think I'd be happy for people to say "He was a good man" and really mean it.

Guy Incognito
07-11-2005, 04:05 PM
"Damn, that guy owed me a lot of money."

PokerBob
07-11-2005, 05:16 PM
....lone gunman.

Blarg
07-11-2005, 09:31 PM
I'd like it to be shocked angry swearing. I've always loved the George Carlin idea of being blown up, and having your intestines dangling off someone's ear, a piece of liver in someone else's hair, a toe in the punch bowl, an arm stuck waving from the chandelier. Something dramatic, where years later they'll go, "Oh yeah, I remember that son of a bitch!"

kerssens
07-11-2005, 09:34 PM
Bingo tomorrow.

gusser
07-11-2005, 09:56 PM
open bar funeral, you know...to lighten the mood

gus