PDA

View Full Version : rmbs new thread???

scalf
02-14-2003, 02:14 PM
/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif rmbs...controversial stock..one scalf has now taken 200% position on...if posters do not feel this is appropriate for this forum...just say no..and i''ll stop..if you do not want to be involved,,hey do not get involved...seems ez to me???

anyway rmbs is a very volatile stock...it owns patents on memory systems (and more) for computers, but makes no product itself....it derives income from licenses...and technical support, but license fees for intellectual property is the killer item(potentially)..lol...

anyway..rmbs won a reversal on appeal, which, depending on your attitude..gives rmbs back royalty fees for sdram..ddram..and rdram...between 1% and 3.5% of companies which made these chips w/o rmbs licenses paying royalties...obviously there are appeals...and the ftc has a lawsuit pending againsr rmbs...there are real potential downsides...

summing up...a real gamble...but i believe there will be settlements..with ongoing royalties....and rmbs has new products which are being licensed (i.e.raser)...it seems to me...

there is a small chance <10% rmbs collapses...bankrupt..lose all

30% chance goes to 5/sh..slugs there for years...

30% chance trades 13 to 25 trading range..

30% chance home run..sells 5-10x current 13.30/sh..

just my guesses..gl

life is gr8...i have bet it all on rmbs....and i have lost before..gl /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

scalf
02-17-2003, 08:25 PM
/forums/images/icons/wink.gif finally figgered out why rmbs has named two new systems yellowston...then redwood...lol...micron in idaho caught between the two...rmbs on the move...huge upside potential...buy 100 shares..lol...or fade by shorting...real action stock...huge settlement money coming soon....big systems in future...rmbs owns memory interface...jmho..gl /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/club.gif

Zeno
02-18-2003, 01:59 AM
The full moon was Yesterday scalf! And the market was closed today. Best wait until - let me check the calender - a - wait, this is good. Full Moon on March 18 (Tuesday). But the Vernal Equinox is on Thursday March 20. Difficult choice. I vote for the Equinox to purchase this stock. In fact, I have a better idea. I will search for a company called Equinox. If publicly traded, lets both buy 100 shares on March 20. Ray Zee would! The default buy would be a company called Vernal. I will do the search now.
/forums/images/icons/wink.gif
-Zeno

Zeno
02-18-2003, 02:13 AM
Here it is: Equinox (http://www.equinox.com)

An Avocent Company. Well, it is the name that counts. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Buy it on March 20th. This company has Zeno's certification of approval and will be a certain 5 bagger.

Maybe.

scalf
02-18-2003, 08:58 PM
/forums/images/icons/grin.gif you mock me...you mock me to my very face...lol...gr8 posts...rmbs takes the cash...still time to get on board the bus...lol...gl /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

hillbilly
02-18-2003, 10:40 PM
"life is gr8...i have bet it all on rmbs....and i have lost before..gl"

don't forget if you put all your eggs in one basket, you must watch that basket very carefully...don't go tilt and forget basic rules...can you still say stop loss?

that being said i'll say no more except hope it goes out of the park for you...

Ray Zee
02-19-2003, 12:38 AM
scalf must you........ do this with the periods..... between each thought.....lol how can anyone.... pqa figure .....out what you are saying...dod..its worse.. than my... not... using capital letters...i... would...have ... stuck in the happy faces....like you do as welll..... but they dont work for me.....

adios
02-19-2003, 07:41 AM
You're probably right about RMBS but I hate buying companies that are highly dependent on patents for profits. It seems that often court cases often go against those holding the patents. I'm not sure about the status of RMBS litigation so maybe it's just about played out in the courts.

scalf
02-19-2003, 08:20 AM
/forums/images/icons/wink.gif well, the final insult...lol...z complaining about syntax....or sin tax...lol...any way...even though i actually like mot...yhere are a loy worse long term picks...just jot down prices of mot and rmbs...compare em in a couple of months...we'll see...

there is only one test (but two testes)...in life...the test of time...rmbs may not come in...but the +ev is huge...that's just my analysis...which is clearly very risky, and may lead to losing your entire investment....

but ya know...

who would want to live in a world...

where no one wins and no one loses...

gl... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

scalf
02-19-2003, 08:27 AM
/forums/images/icons/blush.gif just as an aside...did ya note micron has ordered 10% layoffs across the board....hmmmmmmmm....maybe they shoulda got on board the bus(rmbs)...lol...or maybe hdpm ..(or hdpw).charged too many lawyers fees and they are forced to gather cash to pay the barristers....they owe more in royalties to rmbs..than they are worth....may want to short micron....looks like bankruptcy to me...

imagine wasting good spud land for chip shops...lol..gl /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

scalf
02-19-2003, 08:29 AM
/forums/images/icons/frown.gif oh yeah z.....lol.....spm stole your smiley faces....and also...lol...is....figgering out how.......to censor all of your posts...lol...gl /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/club.gif

scalf
02-21-2003, 08:11 AM
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif friday morn..2-21-03...scalf who has a huge (ldft lung) position in rmbs...uses technical analysis..and also at times astrological data to make stock selections...lol...for mature adults only....

well, a little period of consolidation after last surge..(doubling of stock price)..rmbs owns sdram, ddram, rdram..and the newer systems of raser and redwood....only a matter of time.....settlements nearing accords...stock readying for another high volume doubling (and more) of price....scalf has no inside info,, and this is an extremely volatile stock...you could lose all your money...or make a fortune...

there is a tide..
in the affairs of men...

the saddests words in the english language,,,

it mighta been...gl all...i ain't selling till triple figures..gl all.. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

Zeno
02-21-2003, 03:27 PM
Go scalf! Hope you cash out big. When you hit that triple figure you will need a place to stash the cash etc. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Here are two links you should check out. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif Good Luck. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Stash the cash #1 (http://www.milonline.com) Stash the cash # 2 (http://www.ocra.com/?source=overtureUS)

-Zeno

scalf
02-28-2003, 01:15 PM
/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif rmbs aprrox 15.10/sh 2-28-03 noon est

some quick math based on short interest fro 2-14-03

float 85 million sh
short 8.6 mill
institution ownership 23% 19.7 mill
insiders..owners,,10% 8.5 mill
remaining..48.7 mill sh

shares traded on nasdaq 2-14 to 2-27 37.6 mill
17 mill traded over 15/sh is this period..

shorts might have a real problem covering if any good news/settlements occur....still reeeel bullish..left lung and left testicle bet here...

do not buy this stock w/o proper due diligence...you could lose all ...gl /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

adios
02-28-2003, 04:31 PM
Remember short positions often represent some kind of hedging activity as well as naked speculation. Check out NFI sometime.

Shares Outstanding 10.4M
Float 3.40M
Shares Short 2.01M

I know of a guy who tried to short NFI at $30.00 and the broker told him there were no shares available to borrow.

scalf
03-02-2003, 08:29 AM
/forums/images/icons/blush.gif http://hardware.earthweb.com/chips/article.php/1962971

take a look at above address; rmbs is still developing state of art memory syste /forums/images/icons/cool.gif ms...did you know intel pays rmbs 40 mill us dolars/year for access to their memory systems...even before recent court decision...gl

Mark Heide
03-02-2003, 07:21 PM
scalf,

RMBS is for gamblers. This is the type of stock that I would not even speculate on. It's P/E was at 60! If you look at their chart, (Ray is wrong about charts, because in your case this should be useful) you will see that this technology stock follows the general direction of the S&P 500 until recently due to some good news. With all the buying going on from the good news you should sell and make your profit now, before some bad news comes out about technology again. Here's a link to the chart with a one year comparison to the S&P 500:

http://www.quicken.com/investments/charts/?period=1YEAR&charttype=HIST&big=off&plot=LINE&oth ersym=&mavg=&dji=&sp500=on&nasdaq=&p=RMBS

The following is a three year link:

http://www.quicken.com/investments/charts/?period=3YEAR&charttype=HIST&big=off&plot=LINE&oth ersym=&mavg=&dji=&sp500=on&nasdaq=&p=RMBS

If you notice, the volitility of this stock can be very high due to industry news.

My advice is to stay away from it if you like money.

Good Luck

Mark

Ray Zee
03-03-2003, 01:15 AM
oh thanks for setting me straight mark. i now realize that if i know the direction the s&p is going to go then i can buy the stocks that correlate to it. what a fool i have been to not see that.

scalf
03-03-2003, 07:55 AM
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif mark, gr8 to hear from you...i think that i would have sold immediately; if you had even suggested that there was some value in owning this stock..lol...hope all is well with you and your family...i know you have financial reserves, but from what i read, the jobs are still very tite in high tech land....

anyway, i agree rmbs is an extremely high risk stock..that many people have shorted it; others will not touch it anyway, since it is pure intellectual property..(i.e.; they themselves do not make a product), and in general i feel stocks as a whole(i.e. indices) will go down 50-65% from here...

however, i gotta hunch (lol, hunches are for dogs making love)...that this stock, which is a news driven rather than correlation with averages stock...and it is going to take off..lol..gl

who would want to live in a world where no one wins and no one loses....who is john galt???

gl /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Mark Heide
03-03-2003, 02:58 PM
Ray,

I didn't think you were going to read this post and make me feel stupid again. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

I was only using the chart to show a way to get some information without wasting a lot of time. The overvaluation of this stock means that you need to look at something else, so I just picked your favorite, the chart. Just like scalf has said, this one will react to any news.

Mark

Mark Heide
03-03-2003, 03:14 PM
scalf,

The job situation is the worst I have ever experienced. The major employers here, Lucent, SBC, WorldCom, 3Com, Motorola, and Sprint, just to name a few have been laying off in droves. When I was let go last year, I only know one person that worked with me that has a job, but he had to move to St.Louis to get it. So, now I have decided to move myself if that's what it takes.

Three of four years ago I used to get calls from headhunters every week begging me to go to interviews, now the tables are turned. It does not look like anything is going to change. So, I have decided that I may have to relocate. The only job market that has picked up is working for the government. So, I've started applying to positions for working at the CIA, FBI, Navy, Army, Air Force, DOE, and NRC. Maybe, that will work, because it appears that they are the only ones hiring. Any suggestions appriciated.

Good luck with your stock picks. Sell when loved and buy when hated.

Mark

scalf
03-03-2003, 08:37 PM
/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif you're a dam good man; anyone who hires you is getting a bargain...gl /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Ray Zee
03-04-2003, 01:01 AM
you are right mark. this stock is for gamblers and whatever. a p/e of 60 for a company that doesnt do anything gee whiz. it has to be a short. a high p/e without support from capital reserves and lots of hard assets i just dont know.

when did i make you feel stupid before. are you feeling slighted because you do not know what good pizza is. dont fret, most of the country that hasnt lived on the east coast is in your ballpark. have no fear, if i do get to meet you i will pass on the secrets of eating good pizza. then you can stand upon your own soapbox and preach to the crowd. but you will have to buy the beer.

Mark Heide
03-04-2003, 04:37 AM
Ray,

To answer your question, oh wise one, you make me feel stupid when it comes to poker, but NOT pizza! I thought my post was too far down the list and you wouldn't bother me, because I know you hate charts and like to use them for toilet paper (I guess that's softer than using the tree branches by your outhouse) /forums/images/icons/grin.gif You have been hibernating with the bears too long in Montana. Maybe, during your childhood memories pizza was good when you lived in New Jersey. Back in the days when I was working, I took some of my co-workers that would visit me from Carlstadt and North Bergen for some of the best pizza they ever had. They didn't lie to me just to make me feel good, they were always pullin' my chain, and I used to put up with their crap because they were great guys. The guys I didn't like I took to California Pizza Kitchen.

I lived in Philadephia for three years, and could only find a few good thin crust pizza joints. My favorite was on Arch Street by the Betsy Ross House. It was owned by a Greek family that moved from Chicago to Philadelphia. I've got a pretty good idea of what is good and what is bad.

Futhermore, my last job, I used to travel everywhere in the US. So, if you want steak, go to Dallas. California if you are a vegetarian (I think the reason why a lot of people out west don't eat meat is due to the poor quality of food). They banned smoking just to see if the food had any taste. Philadelphia has good Calzones. Wisconsin has cheese and good fish (go to the penninsula). San Francisco has good bread.

Stocks are overvalued, anything with a P/E over 20 is risky in a market with war fears. Charts are useful for history. It can be an indicator of future performance. No guarantees.

Good Luck

Mark

Mash
03-05-2003, 12:13 PM
...that Rambus destroyed some key documnets during the investigations. This cannot be good for shareholders. Down over 12% today.

scalf
03-05-2003, 01:40 PM
/forums/images/icons/frown.gif news driven stock...actually the ftc had wanted to go to punishment phase w/o a trial, so it could have been worse..lol...well another appeal was won despite ken starr being the lawyer arguing for opposition, but i agree may be time to bail after dead cat pseudo-rebound today..limiting my position somewhat...still 100%+ winner...gl...very risky stock /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Mash
03-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Yes RMBS is about as risky a stock as they get. You going to buy some Micron (MU) once you sell rmbs?

scalf
03-05-2003, 06:58 PM
/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif ironic, it is the politicians from idaho, butch otter and 2 senators, who have pushed the ftc to punish rmbs...micron has lost money for 6 str8 quarters..i feel it is a short...i feel unless government bailouts continue for micron, it is doomed...it is interesting that the firms who licensed rmbs products have generally been able to produce higher margin items..(i.e. sony's playstation)..and are making a profit...people put rmbs down for being only intellectual property, yet they make a profit...something micron knows nothing about...gl

actually i am straddling rmbs with puts and calls, feeling the huge volatilty will compensate for playing both sides..

the ftc decision had been pending, and other than some of the wording, was about what i had expected. however it apparently was not in the price..lol..gl /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Mash
03-06-2003, 12:41 PM
South Korea keeps bailing out Hynix, how much longer can they keep that up? If Hynix (which is #3 semiconductor) falls watch Micron (which is #2)stock climb. Micron is in a much better position than Hynix and this scenerio is likely.

Time to buy some Real Estate or go win the WSOP!

scalf
03-06-2003, 07:53 PM
/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif well rmbs down another 1-2 % today...nothing..lol...i am still very bullish longer term on rmbs...feel that not only will they get the revenues owed them by micron and inx, but feel that is gravy. i feel micron, in part, at least, by refusing to deal with rmbs, has locked themselves into generic chips; where price competition is fierce....those dealing with rmbs are in the high performance, high profit section of memory market...with yellowstone and redwood coming...micron will find themselves the odd man out..jmho...gl /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

Mash
03-07-2003, 10:38 PM
i feel micron, in part, at least, by refusing to deal with rmbs, has locked themselves into generic chips; where price competition is fierce....those dealing with rmbs are in the high performance, high profit section of memory market

Yes competition is fierce all around, but where did you get the info about those dealing with RMBS is in the high performance, high profit section of memory market, and those that don't aren't??

scalf
03-08-2003, 10:05 AM
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif mash..that is scalf's synopsis of the memory market...it; as most generalizations, is not exactly true...however, it is interesting that the licencees of rmbs are generally profitable, despite paying royalties of 2-4%; while thos that have fought rmbs..(micron a prime example)...have not shown a profit for years...and in general; when a chip becomes generally available(i.e. a commodity chip). then there is intense competition, and profit margis are squeezed...also remember intel is paying 10 mill per quarter for use of rmbs technology...which pretty much; of and by itself, gives rmbs amazing staying power; while fighting expensive legal battles...

by the way, after reading legal opinions on ftc complaints; it will take an extremely prejudiced judge to rule against rmbs...jmho, i am not a lawyer....rmbs owns short term memory...has amazing systems in the works, with strong patents....

remember, last week rmbs down 10-16%, but there also was a general high tech sell-off...i.e..intc, et. al. down 5-10%...gl /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

scalf
03-21-2003, 06:14 PM
/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif rmbs 13.90 ...scln 5.38..

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif inquiring minds may be interested on ibd article on rmbs today

http://biz.yahoo.com/ibd/030321/tech01_1.html

gl...note scln on move again...lol..gl /forums/images/icons/smile.gif