PDA

View Full Version : 222 on the board

Guthrie
07-11-2005, 12:26 PM
End of first orbit, loose table, no other reads.

I put CO on a big pair, and he bets out quickly. I have no idea what SB has.

My first instinct is to raise the flop, since there's only one card in the deck that beats me and what kind of moron caps preflop with a deuce in his hand? If the deuce hits the board the worst I can do is chop.

Raise for value and risk getting into a raising war with the other deuce, or just call it down?

Paradise Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG folds, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Flop: (15 SB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds.

River: (11 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13 BB

davelin
07-11-2005, 12:28 PM
Oh boy man, you have the best hand here easily. Raise it up!

benneh
07-11-2005, 12:30 PM
if you put CO on a big pair, why are you not capping every street? you have the biggest one.

well, nevermind. apparently you have no pair at all.

MrWookie47
07-11-2005, 12:31 PM
You have the best hand here an overwhelming percentage of the time. Raise the flop. Barring that, raise the turn. Barring that, raise the river.

Normally, kittens die from missed river value bets, but I think there might be an exception here.

McGahee
07-11-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
apparently you have no pair at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word - raise &amp; cap the river and it's not close.

imported_The Vibesman
07-11-2005, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

My first instinct is to raise the flop, since there's only one card in the deck that beats me and what kind of moron caps preflop with a deuce in his hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

First instinct seems best here.

Sightless
07-11-2005, 12:39 PM
RAISE RAISE RAISE!

Russ McGinley
07-11-2005, 12:39 PM
Wow, I can't believe you called this down. You put the CO on KK-TT and yet you never raise? I don't get it. You will get in a raising war with him because he'll think his hand is good. You WANT to get into a raising war here.

Here's hoping this is one of those backwards hands and you are actually CO and villain is actually Button. Otherwise I don't understand what you were thinking here.

Greg J
07-11-2005, 12:40 PM
Would you like a pretty bow for yr hair?

http://www.colonialflag.com/product_images/yellow_bow_bg.jpg

deception5
07-11-2005, 12:43 PM
Only a really bad player would cap preflop with a single deuce (especially since pocket 2's are not possible). There are a number of other hands he could be capping with here and it is extremely likely that you are against a big pocket pair. You cannot fear the 1 card that beats you. Your opponent clearly likes his hand and will likely pay you off so you need to get some raises in there by the turn at the latest (note 77 and 33 beat you too, but I still wouldn't worry about these remote possibilities).

Some possible lines:

1.) Raise the flop and call a 3-bet so that your opponent will lead into you again on the turn and you can raise. Raising and then slowing down is a line you might take with something like AK so you can usually squeeze a few extra bets.
2.) Call the flop and raise the turn. You might get SB to stick around for at least another street. This might actually lead your opponent to believe you have a stronger hand though.
3.) Cap flop, cap turn, cap river. Problem with this line is that opponent may slow down with something like AK/JJ.

I think the reward of #2 (getting an extra bet from SB) is outweighed by the amount that CO would be willing to pay you off (and SB might just keep calling along anyway) so I will likely take line #1.

Eeegah
07-11-2005, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My first instinct is to raise the flop, since there's only one card in the deck that beats me and what kind of moron caps preflop with a deuce in his hand? If the deuce hits the board the worst I can do is chop.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the love of God what else should you be thinking?!? Your equity is just about 100% here!

For what it's worth, there was a 333 board during one of my hands yesterday. The fourth 3 came on the river.

DCWildcat
07-11-2005, 12:46 PM
Oddly enough, I was eliminated from a NL MTT on a hand almost identical to this. Had KK, flop came 3 deuces, firstp player raised, I pushed, guy after me and original raiser called. PF had been a raise from UTG (turned out to be AK), my bigass reraise from the button, and the moron after me calling in the SB with T2o, quadding up the flop. Had to keep me honest, apparently.

deception5
07-11-2005, 12:47 PM
Btw, if sb does stay around after the flop raise then I would keep raising as long as co would be willing to bet. The slowdown after co 3-bet would be for deception purposes heads up only.

KaiShin
07-11-2005, 12:52 PM
I'm confused. I don't see nearly enough red "Hero raises" text.

deception5
07-11-2005, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oddly enough, I was eliminated from a NL MTT on a hand almost identical to this. Had KK, flop came 3 deuces, firstp player raised, I pushed, guy after me and original raiser called. PF had been a raise from UTG (turned out to be AK), my bigass reraise from the button, and the moron after me calling in the SB with T2o, quadding up the flop. Had to keep me honest, apparently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was the guy's name Doyle? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Eeegah
07-11-2005, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Btw, if sb does stay around after the flop raise then I would keep raising as long as co would be willing to bet. The slowdown after co 3-bet would be for deception purposes heads up only.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we knew the CO were a bit more skittish in other hands and is known to slow down in the face of aggression it might be worth waiting for the turn to induce a bluff and start charging him double to go nuts, but it certainly doesn't look that way from the hand.

gharp
07-11-2005, 01:00 PM
I think in one of the HoH books Harrington says a flop like 333 (or 222) is the best possible flop for AA, since you're most likely to get called by people chasing full houses. So (like everyone else has already said) you've gotta find that [Raise] button somewhere.

gopnik
07-11-2005, 01:41 PM
cap the turn and river

Sightless
07-11-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
cap the turn and river

[/ QUOTE ]

what does your nickname mean?