PDA

View Full Version : Best electric shaver?

obsidian
07-11-2005, 11:55 AM
What electric shaver would you recommend? Make note that this is for facial hair. Price range could be from $100-$150 depending on quality.

swede123
07-11-2005, 11:58 AM
First of all, nothing will shave as well as a razor. If your facial hair isn't very coarse you might be OK with the Norelco shaver that squirts lotion while you shave with it. Using one of those in the shower would probably be the best way to shave electric, and it still wouldn't come close to the shave you get with a manual razor. Get yourself a Mach 3 thingie, they are pretty nice.

Swede

obsidian
07-11-2005, 12:02 PM
Yea, I currently use a Mach 3. It is nice, but I don't have to shave often. I'm not the type who needs to worry about a 5 o'clock shadow. I would just prefer something more convenient as the super closeness of shaving with a razor just isn't needed.

astroglide
07-11-2005, 12:07 PM
norelco coolskin 7775x. shave in the shower, and use your own cream/gel instead of the dispenser.

CollinEstes
07-11-2005, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
norelco coolskin 7775x. shave in the shower, and use your own cream/gel instead of the dispenser.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second.

swede123
07-11-2005, 12:19 PM
I'm so jealous of people who can get away with using an elecric shaver. I've tried it and it ends up taking longer than just using a razor, since the beard is so coarse and nasty. Being a hairy oaf does have its downsides, but hey, at least I can braid my back hair.

Swede

Analyst
07-11-2005, 12:57 PM
Panasonic ES8092 or equivalent. It's decent for dry shaves, but the wet shaving is incredible - much more comfortable and closer than any blade I've tried, including the Mach3 and the Quattro. Fewer nicks, too.

Panasonic has had battery problems in the past (and I was lucky to get 3 shaves out of my previous one), but my 8092 will go for 8-9 days on a charge.

pokerdirty
07-11-2005, 03:30 PM
i agree with swede. the "best" electric shaver does not exist. I bought one of the self cleaning, top-of-the-line braun ones about 2 years ago, used it 3 times and figured out what a piece of [censored] it was.

wayabvpar
07-11-2005, 04:33 PM
I have a nice Braun electric my wife bought me a couple of years back. I use it for both my face and my head (usually in front of a few Pokerstars tables /images/graemlins/grin.gif ). I generally touch up with a Mach III when I am done- gets the hard to reach spots like the neckline or behind my ears.

Los Feliz Slim
07-11-2005, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Panasonic ES8092

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had this one for a couple of years and love it. For me the Mach 3 was TOO close and I was getting all kinds of ingrown hairs, etc. I use the Panasonic with shaving cream in the shower and it's very, very close, definitely as good as a blade. No battery problems at all, either.

I had the Braun before this and it chewed up my face something terrible.

Blarg
07-11-2005, 06:15 PM
I have had MANY Norelcos over a span of many years. I hope you'll understand that, perversely it would seem, that's not actually a recommendation.

I've had them last as little as a few months, and I treat everything I own with kid gloves. Their rechargeable batteries don't take enough charges before they give out permanently.

I got a Panasonic and it seems to shave me quicker, is fantastic in the shower shaving wet(very little soap or shaving cream makes for a very smooth shave), and its battery is lasting much longer.

You can get just as good a shave with an electric, but you have to be prepared to go over some spots a few times, just like you would with a regular razor. And you have to help out by pulling the skin taught here and there if you want a really, really close shave. But the whole process is still very fast with an electric and easier on the face. You can make it hard on your face by grinding the shaver in instead of just sweeping it across an extra time, though; I've known dummies who do that. Well, don't push it into your face like it was a screwdriver and you'll do fine.

After having more than half a dozen Norelcos, I'm very satisfied with my Panasonic now and would never go back to a Norelco again. There is a broad price range and probably quality range in Panasonics; I got one that was just a step below the ones I saw that have a GPS and all kinds of crazy unnecessary stuff. I think mine cost in the $40 to $60 range.

Dead
07-11-2005, 10:25 PM
Any Norelco should be fine. I used to use one and it would give me as close of a shave as the Schick Quattro that I use now.