PDA

View Full Version : EV question for 7Stud hi-lo . . . is there a sim out there?

Grisgra
07-11-2005, 11:31 AM
Stupid question, I'm sure. Curious as to what the EV is for something like JJA vs 763 if all the money goes in early. Given the chance of a split pot, obviously I'm looking for EV and not simply % chance of winning something.

Andy B
07-11-2005, 11:50 AM
Go to www.twodimes.net/poker (http://www.twodimes.net/poker) and start plugging hands in.

Grisgra
07-11-2005, 11:58 AM
Thanks . . . duh, for some reason I didn't think pokerdimes did stud hi-lo.

For those who are curious, the EV is roughly 55/45, in favor of JJA. Making me feel much better for getting all my money in with it near the bubble of a stud8 tourney in which I was shortstacked. Bastard scooped me . . .

empty
07-12-2005, 03:42 AM
763 JJA

I cannot see how JJA is a favorite. Most of the time these hands will split, and 763 has a much better chance of improving to a high, then JJA does of improving to a low. JJA needs the next 4 cards to all be low, and not pair the A to have a chance of winning the low half of the pot. The 763 will almost always win the low, even when JJA makes the miracle low, the 763 can still beat it.

I'm relatively new at stud h/l but playing where u need 8 or lower to even qualify a low, I cannot see how JJA is a favorite at all.

I've read the super system chapter on hi/lo and JJA is a hand that should be thrown away. Like I said before I'm relatively new at hi/lo but already doing well. And if I have a JJA, im mucking it every time.

When h/l is played, the goal is to win the ENTIRE pot, not to win half of it. If you play JJA, you're essentially giving up 50% of the pot already. With the 763 you aren't at all. You will scoop way more than the JJA.

From my knowledge of the game, 763 has to be a favorite over the JJA.

Anyone elses opinions?

bigredlemon
07-12-2005, 06:20 AM
compare the two dimes results for no qualifyer and with stud8

arcticfox
07-12-2005, 08:13 AM
Super System's chapter is based on Stud hi/low with no qualifier not stud 8, you should not use that chapter to base your starting hand requirements. Read Ray Zee's book or look at some of the hands posted in this forum to get a feel of what you should be playing, but the Super System Hi/lo chapter is of little use for stud/8.

Andy B
07-13-2005, 01:13 AM
S/S was written in the 1970s, when there wasn't a qualifier for low. With the eight-or-better qualifier, big pairs become playable, especially in short-handed situations. 763 fail to make an Eight-low a significant percentage of the time. JJA is well ahead for high, so it is a small money favorite.