PDA

View Full Version : How loose are you when posting in the CO?

topspin
07-11-2005, 10:38 AM
Obviously with your position you should be calling a raise with an even wider variety of hands than in the BB. I'll typically call a raise (1 more bet) with any pocket pair, any suited connector, lots of suited 1-gappers, and any two broadway as a matter of course. After reading one of the 2+2 magazine articles about loosening up posting in the CO, I'm experimenting with calling a lot more suited hands including broadway-x and suited 2-gappers.

Anyone feel like sharing their calling standards facing a single raise after posting in the CO? In case you're the sort that likes to discuss specific hands, here's the one prompting this post, where I felt calling was pretty darn marginal:

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif. Hero posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, Hero (poster) calls...

Dave G.
07-11-2005, 10:49 AM
I'll call with suited hands down to about Q7 - J7. I'll call any suited connector and 1 gapper against a couple of people. If there's 3 or more limpers I'll call any suited hand. Any two broadway cards are good as well.

I think J2s is too dodgy to play even with the discount from the CO. If you had more players it'd be worth a go. I'd just fold that one in this case. You are getting 4:1 for your money and your only chance of winning is with the flush. Your odds of flopping 2 to a flush or a made flush are only about 7.4:1. I guess a case could be made for implied odds but it would be pretty thin, since you can make your flush and lose too.

Edit: Well, you can win with flopping trips, two pair, boats and such, but those are rare enough not to have much effect on your odds.

DCWildcat
07-11-2005, 12:53 PM
Probably just like you said: like BB. I wouldn't loosen up too much for position's sake because you've still got a few people behind you.

That said, the situations where you're actually in this position with any sort of difficult decision are quite infrequent /images/graemlins/smile.gif

itsmesteve
07-11-2005, 01:13 PM
I'm pretty darn loose when posting. Knowing some players will loosen up their raising standards helps. This one may be pushing it, but as long as you're comfortable post flop it can't be too big an error, if it is one at all. You are, after all, getting about 5:1 on the call, and even better if someone comes along, with position.

Edit: to include a "normal" range. . . probably suited broadways down to about 8, any pair, any suited ace or king, suited connecters to prolly about 45 and one gaps to about 7/5 8/6. . . Tough to say for sure, but that sounds like things i would consider. It may tighten up or loosen up if I have played with a person before and have some idea of their game. Even if i don't know much preflop, if i know they're weak postflop then its easier to call.

TomBrooks
07-11-2005, 08:59 PM
I would call a raise with any hand that I would have limped with.

BatsShadow
07-11-2005, 09:05 PM
As the original poster mentioned, Ed recommends being even looser than that.

TomBrooks
07-11-2005, 09:36 PM
Actually, I would be a little looser than that since I'm in for one anyway.