PDA

View Full Version : Learning hold em for a total beginner

SNOWBALL138
07-11-2005, 10:11 AM
I'm not sure where this post belongs, but I'm going to crosspost it on the psych and beginners forums and maybe I can get a response.

A friend of mine was telling me that he was thinking of selling drugs on the side to supplement his income, so I'm like "wtf, why don't you just learn to play poker?"

To my surprise, he says "ok, will you teach me?"

Being a good friend, I agree to teach him. I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this, because he is a complete beginner. I don't think he's ever even played penny ante or anything resembling poker. I'd be surprised if he's ever placed a bet in his life.

I want to go about this in the right way. I gave him Getting started in hold em by Ed Miller, and told him that anytime he wants to, he can come over to my apartment for free lessons. I thought of the following ways of teaching him. Please feel free to add any suggestions.

I would play just one table, and explain to him everything that is happening. Like explaining the blinds, and the button, and the betting order. I would explain how to identify the nuts, and teach him how to read the board.

After he got a small foundation like that, I would play more tables, and begin to show him some principles of winning play. I'd probably just play .50/1 tables, because those are the tables that he needs to learn to beat first anyway.

After watching me for a while, I would quiz him on what he thinks I should do and why. Finally, I would close every table except for one, and have him play it by himself. I would want him to just play the table on his own, and then I would maybe comment after he was done with the hand.

After we did a session like this, I would use a HH replayer to go over some of the hands we played step by step, and anaylze whats going on in those hands.

After we did a few of these sessions, I would encourage him to open up an account with rakebake, and do some bonuswhoring. I would want him to telephone me when he was having problems.

Have any of you tried to teach one of your friends how to play poker? I really don't want him to learn on his own, and go through what I went through (losing money, playing on bad mega-tilt, trying to recoup losses by playing for higher stakes, playing for too high stakes in general etc.)

OTOH, I'm wondering how much of this is avoidable. I know its inevitable for my friend to be a losing player for some period of time. I just want to minimize this.

AKQJ10
07-11-2005, 10:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
After he got a small foundation like that, I would play more tables, and begin to show him some principles of winning play. I'd probably just guide him in playing play money tables, followed by bonus whoring and .01/.02, because those are the tables that he needs to learn to beat first anyway.

...I know its inevitable for my friend to lose some of his bonus. I just want to minimize this.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP. Other than that, looks good.

xniNja
07-11-2005, 10:56 AM
I replied negatively to this post in the Psychology forum for those who are interested in further analysis.

amoeba
07-11-2005, 06:02 PM
make sure he doesn't have an addictive personality.

TaoTe
07-12-2005, 09:20 AM
It's great that you're trying to get your friend to stop selling drugs. He would also probably make a good gambler if he has enough "card sense" about him simply because he would be used to the risk/reward ratio that is involved with gambling that is also inherent in selling drugs. Someone below mentioned the possibility of him having an addictive personality, but as I see it, he is selling drugs not using them, so he could be okay. Good luck with your efforts, I hope your friend finds out there are other kinds of hustles out there besides drugs.

webgator
07-12-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know its inevitable for my friend to be a losing player for some period of time. I just want to minimize this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I don't know your friend but this is what I suggest:

1) Read Lee Jones WLLH and Ed Miller's Getting Started in HE
2) Play a few hands of play money till he gets a hang of how the game plays.
3) Open an account for real money and play the micros
4) Play super tight till he gains confidence in his game play.
5) Play Limit, not No Limit.

Instead of him watching you play you should watch him play and coach him. If my 8 year old can learn the game there'd no reason he can't.

There is no reason he should lose any money following the above. Yes he may have swings but at a minimum he shouldbe able to play break even.