PDA

View Full Version : I autopush this, would u play it different, if so why?

theredbaron
07-11-2005, 09:42 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t1145)
CO (t840)
Button (t1603)
SB (t1105)
BB (t1555)
UTG (t1282)
MP1 (t470)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1145 (All-In)</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t1145, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (t2440) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t2440) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t2440) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t2440

wiggs73
07-11-2005, 09:46 AM
I would probably make a more standard raise to 250 or 275 here. You don't mind action on the hand, you have more than 10 BBs, and picking up the 150 in blinds isn't going to help your stack that much. I'd push a re-raise and call a push and I'm assuming that one of the 2 would have happened since you got called. Pushing isn't a bad play by any means, either.

Also, what buy-in is this in?

durron597
07-11-2005, 09:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would probably make a more standard raise to 250 or 275 here. You don't mind action on the hand, you have more than 10 BBs, and picking up the 150 in blinds isn't going to help your stack that much. I'd push a re-raise and call a push and I'm assuming that one of the 2 would have happened since you got called. Pushing isn't a bad play by any means, either.

Also, what buy-in is this in?

[/ QUOTE ]

HesseJam
07-11-2005, 10:12 AM
I am not sure if I call a push from the other similar sized stacks to my standard raise here. I think a pushing right away is ok here or doing a mini raise.

If you win a push without show down you'll lose a bit of folding equity. If you get bullied out of your mini raise you can use that next time when you miniraise a big pair.

wiggs73
07-11-2005, 10:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am not sure if I call a push from the other similar sized stacks to my standard raise here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? Just curious...

Nicholasp27
07-11-2005, 10:30 AM
u have 11x bb and bigger stacks to act after u...

i don't think that you are in push/fold territory at this point...i'd do a decent raise instead of a push

HesseJam
07-11-2005, 10:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am not sure if I call a push from the other similar sized stacks to my standard raise here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? Just curious...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd expect a PP (AA to 77) to push here.

brimstone1
07-11-2005, 10:47 AM
I can't see a single reason to push here, as everybody has said, you have over 10xBB, just make a decent raise and play it normally.

You'd have to have some amazing read on the players left to act behind you, such as: "they'll call with 3 high, and fold everything else."

:P

durron597
07-11-2005, 10:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You fold getting 1.8:1 against a likely coinflip?

Moonsugar
07-11-2005, 10:52 AM
Sometimes you should do that.

This is not one of those times.

durron597
07-11-2005, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes you should do that.

This is not one of those times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Total agree, that was my point.

tminus
07-11-2005, 10:54 AM
im not pushing this with 4 people in front of me
youre risking your whole stack to steal 100 chips and you dont need to do this just yet

HesseJam
07-11-2005, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said, I am not sure. This is something I have to have a look into.

HesseJam
07-11-2005, 11:15 AM
Sorry, preflop its 55:45 for the PP. So I should better not fold.

durron597
07-11-2005, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

According to pokerstove it is not a coin flip. PPs vs. AKs with that board is about 3:1

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain to me how you know what the flop is going to be preflop? I would LOVE that information, it would make me a lot of $$$.

HesseJam
07-11-2005, 11:18 AM
Hey, you are way to quick for me! I didn't even have a minute to correct my post!

HesseJam
07-11-2005, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

According to pokerstove it is not a coin flip. PPs vs. AKs with that board is about 3:1

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain to me how you know what the flop is going to be preflop? I would LOVE that information, it would make me a lot of $$$.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes, I hear those voices inside me...

bennies
07-11-2005, 11:27 AM
I dont see the point with not pushing. On the contrary I see two reasons for pushing:

1) Position: If you raise (say to 300) and get called by CO or Button, you are out of position for the rest of the hand. If you push, position won't matter.

2) Choice: If you don't push you let your opponents choose if they want to see a flop or not. Why give them this choice?

adanthar
07-11-2005, 11:39 AM
In general, with this hand and chip stack, you should be balancing out how often you are likely to get called/pushed on by a worse hand if you push as opposed to raising with how often a small or medium pair will push or CC your standard raise.

In other words, in a game that is LAGgy enough for KJs to push over your standard raise or loose enough for KJ to just call (especially from the blinds where he'll be out of position), just raise it. In a game where 77 is guaranteed to call a raise but may not call a push, push it.

This will rarely be really clearcut in either direction, but you should have some reads by level 4, if only 'hey, this BB is an idiot'. Use them.

45suited
07-11-2005, 11:53 AM
At a lower buy-in SNG, I prefer pushing here. Even bad players understand that there's a huge difference between calling a standard raise and calling a push.

If you push, you will sometimes (against bad players) be called by AQ, AJ, KQ, and pretty suited cards like ATs or KJs. Pushing might even get mid PPs to fold. And if 77 is going to call me anyway, I want to see all 5 cards.

There's only two hands you need to be afraid of here, and the blinds are not totally insignifcant.

This is again one of these cases where "image considerations" are way overrated. I'll take the blinds, thank you.

I don't like making a standard raise, getting a caller, and possibly playing a whiffed flop OOP here. So my default would be to push.

theredbaron
07-11-2005, 11:53 AM
Well, heres my reasoning on this. This might be a big leak in my play.

1. I have not played a hand in quite a while. This is one of those 'minraise - 4 players to a flop, fold to the first minimum bet' crapshoots. Note that there are SEVEN players left at the level!

A few small stack pushes were called by Ax or low pocket pairs. I'm quite willing to race here because my post flop skills simply suck when I am out of position.

If I make a standard bet, get called and whiff the flop, I just levered off 30 to 40% of my stack. If I whiff and 'probe bet' and get called, I'm screwed even further.

So, I push this and take my chances. In this case QQ called and it held up, but thats poker. I was pretty much destined to lose all my chips here unless I limp/fold, which is just sucky poker. Thanks for all the advice.

Nottom
07-11-2005, 02:41 PM
I think pushing is fine. Making a standard raise might be better, but not by much and may even be worse.

curtains
07-11-2005, 02:47 PM
I move allin here. There is no hand that I raise in this spot with 11.5x the BB that I don't move allin with. I never raise to like 275 and fold with any hand, and I play against the same opponents a lot, thus I try to move allin with any hand I raise. It's possible if everyone is anonymous Ill make a smaller raise with AA-QQ, but against players I know, I'll just move allin.

Gramps
07-11-2005, 03:38 PM
I think the looser the BB is, the better a play pushing becomes (b/c 2/3 of the time you're just called, you'll be sitting with Ace-high on the flop, and the more chips you'll have to invest to win the pot are very valuable), but pushing has it's problems as well. A lot of LAGs will be happy to come over the top with AQ, AJ, AT, and even worse non-pair hands, but won't coldcall 11+ BB with those hands. Of course, they may fold some mid-pairs that they'd come over the top of you as well, so it balances out somewhat. I don't think other play is that bad, but I'd probably make a standard-type of raise here (and with the new 75/150 blind level, it probably becomes a slightly better play than before).

curtains
07-11-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the looser the BB is, the better a play pushing becomes (b/c 2/3 of the time you're just called, you'll be sitting with Ace-high on the flop, and the more chips you'll have to invest to win the pot are very valuable), but pushing has it's problems as well. A lot of LAGs will be happy to come over the top with AQ, AJ, AT, and even worse non-pair hands, but won't coldcall 11+ BB with those hands. Of course, they may fold some mid-pairs that they'd come over the top of you as well, so it balances out somewhat. I don't think other play is that bad, but I'd probably make a standard-type of raise here (and with the new 75/150 blind level, it probably becomes a slightly better play than before).

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically I agree with what Gramps said, however it leads me towards pushing. I get called way too often by crap to worry about how often my opponents are folding AJo but would decide to reraise if I made a standard raise.

tigerite
07-11-2005, 04:38 PM
I most definitely push this, as I would 88+ also

11t
07-11-2005, 04:40 PM
I open push here as well simply so people don't think they can go over the top with weak hands and bet me off of my AK or to prevent the BB from a stop and go.

Don't know how smart that is though.