PDA

View Full Version : Extracting maximum value from big hand. Review please

theredbaron
07-11-2005, 09:37 AM
Ok. I got pushed down a little in chips early when my QQ did not hold up against A4o push from shortstack. :-)

So, I pick up 55, a hand used to fold regularly. This time I get the set and I have action. Was my line here good? Could I have gotten more money from my opponent (in hindsight, yes, cause he rivered trips but I did not know that).

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t675)
MP1 (t225)
MP2 (t500)
MP3 (t680)
CO (t1260)
Button (t1150)
SB (t1345)
BB (t1180)
UTG (t985)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t30, MP1 calls t30, MP2 calls t30, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t150) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks.

Turn: (t150) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t30</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t90</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, SB folds, BB calls t60.

River: (t330) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t225</font>, BB calls t225.

Final Pot: t780

HesseJam
07-11-2005, 09:49 AM
What's the buy-in?

You should not slow play sets on the lower buy-in levels. With 5 callers I would have raised the flop for half the flop size and if somebody had come over the top I would've gone all-in.

The turn, I might have played the same, but I am not sure what the best line is. Sometimes, I go all-in here.

The river is scary, isn't it? The check from BB would have made me nervous. I would have bet about the same amount.

Would you have called an all-in from BB?

durron597
07-11-2005, 09:51 AM
Put your opponent on a range of hands. He checks flop and bets turn, you raise turn and he calls. I feel like this play could not scream J any more obviously. So why not push river?

durron597
07-11-2005, 09:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

The river is scary, isn't it? The check from BB would have made me nervous. I would have bet about the same amount.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're joking, right? Another J is the best card in the deck. What do you put BB on?? QJ? No way. J5? No way. J2 *maybe* but just... no. You are almost certainly against trips here and you have a full house.

mybrainssore
07-11-2005, 09:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Put your opponent on a range of hands. He checks flop and bets turn, you raise turn and he calls. I feel like this play could not scream J any more obviously. So why not push river?

[/ QUOTE ]

becasue he wants a J rag to pay him off.

mybrainssore
07-11-2005, 09:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The turn, I might have played the same, but I am not sure what the best line is. Sometimes, I go all-in here.

[/ QUOTE ]

the best line is definately not pushing all in here.... You want a call. You certainly dont want to scare off a J rag.

durron597
07-11-2005, 09:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

the best line is definately not pushing all in here.... You want a call. You certainly dont want to scare off a J rag.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would YOU fold J-rag here to a push?

Edit: note Hero should raise more on the turn (just a touch more, like 120) so that the pot is larger on the river.

mybrainssore
07-11-2005, 10:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would YOU fold J-rag here to a push?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would fold it without a second thought

durron597
07-11-2005, 10:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I would fold it without a second thought

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you make money playing poker?

mybrainssore
07-11-2005, 10:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Do you make money playing poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is folding 1 pair with a rag kicker in a tiny pot with the blinds so small so hard to believe?

durron597
07-11-2005, 10:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Why is folding three of a kind with a rag kicker in a tiny pot with the blinds so small so hard to believe?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

And... um... yeah.

mybrainssore
07-11-2005, 10:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Why is folding three of a kind with a rag kicker in a tiny pot with the blinds so small so hard to believe?

[/ QUOTE ]

Point taken. Was assuming you were talking about the turn.

But

I still prefer the OP's line than pushing.
The way this hand has played out, if I held J-rag I would think for a while.......... and still fold.

How often would J-rag be good here? Almost never against half decent players.

Wes ManTooth
07-11-2005, 10:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I would have raised the flop for half the flop size and if somebody had come over the top I would've gone all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this hand played out this way and If you bet the flop and someone came over the top, chances are they have an overpair or AQ, or a set of dueces. On the flop the only hand your are behind to is pocket queens ... you can't fold to an over the top all in on the flop.

HesseJam
07-11-2005, 10:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're joking, right? Another J is the best card in the deck. What do you put BB on?? QJ? No way. J5? No way. J2 *maybe* but just... no. You are almost certainly against trips here and you have a full house.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I wasn't joking. But can you believe it? I overlooked that hero has a FH /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

theredbaron
07-11-2005, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What's the buy-in?

You should not slow play sets on the lower buy-in levels. With 5 callers I would have raised the flop for half the flop size and if somebody had come over the top I would've gone all-in.

Would you have called an all-in from BB?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its A $10+1
I would have called like a shot.

On a further note, I REALLY thought someone would take a stab at the pot from late position, but no joy. If I had minbet or stanard bet, I probably win nothing, but that would be ok. I figured that unless the turn was superscary, I might get some action.

My small raise was DESIGNED to look weak and suck someone with two pair or so into pushing over the top. Still, just one of those hands. Poker is tough.