PDA

View Full Version : a question about whist.

blaze666
07-11-2005, 07:38 AM
here's a question about whist, if you CAN follow suit, but you want to trump it, then can you do that? say i put down the ace of hearts, and trumps are spades, and i have the deuce of spades, obviously, i would like to trump it, would i be able to do this, assuming i still have some hearts left in my hand?

i didn't know where to put it, so i also put it in the other gambling forum.

stripsqueez
07-11-2005, 07:52 AM
i play lots of card games with tricks and trumps including whist - i think the definition of what a trump is starts with "a nominated suit that you can play when you cant follow suit" - if it were otherwise then it wouldnt be called a trump - it would be some kind of "wild" card

revoking (ie playing a trump when you can follow suit) is against the rules in every tricks and trumps game i play

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

poker-penguin
07-11-2005, 03:45 PM
Try it and DIE!

You can only trump when you have successfully off-suited yourself (in other words you can't follow suit).

Most trick taking games I play (mainly 500, euchre, whist, and hearts) we play with big penalties for revoking / reneging (call it what you will) - we're talking double points usually.

It screws the whole game up, so unless it's your first time playing, you deserve to suffer.

TheWorstPlayer
07-11-2005, 04:19 PM
No. You must follow suit if you can.