PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else having problems with Yahoo DSL? possible Blaster virus?

Blarg
07-11-2005, 06:35 AM
I was getting weird off and on slowdowns, and then I couldn't get a window to open or refresh properly at all. Then this message popped up that I might be infected with the Blaster virus, but now things are working again. Don't know what the blaster virus is or what it does, and have a subscription to Norton AV always running in the background. I started Norton scanning, but is Blaster a "worm"? If so, I don't think Norton can detect it.

Anyway, maybe it's just Yahoo DSL? Not sure what to think.

jason_t
07-11-2005, 06:37 AM
I use Yahoo! DSL and my connection has been fine.

BusterStacks
07-11-2005, 06:39 AM
Blaster is a worm and requires IMMEDIATE removal.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.html

theredpill9
07-11-2005, 06:43 AM
I have SBC Yahoo and my DSL is fine. Who gave you the message that you might be infected ? The source of the message is important and BTW,

Buster, go away.

BusterStacks
07-11-2005, 06:44 AM
aww, aren't you adorable? like a little kitten scratching at a pitbull. Yeah, I have NEVER given good computer advice on this forum... dumbass.

handsome
07-11-2005, 06:47 AM
Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Blarg
07-11-2005, 07:09 AM
The message appeared to be sent to me by 2Wire, the maker of my router, as some sort of automatic response. The message said a lot of activity was going on on my machine.

I tried using my dial-up account with a different provider, too, and wasn't able to connect. The message told me to click a continue button if I wanted to keep trying to get to the web site anyway, so when I did that, it froze on a page that was trying to load from 2wire. I tried to get Norton to update, and it wouldn't let me do that.

After rebooting a couple of times, I was able to connect automatically with DSL, get here, and ask the question. I ran Norton with my old updates in the background, and found no infections. But I noticed it said it had been "upgraded" not to detect worms, and I thought I remembered blaster was a worm. So I came here while Norton was working.

Buster, I checked that link and downloaded fixblast.exe and ran it, and am now running it again to be sure. Thanks for the tip. The first time, it said there was nothing, but I had hastily started running it before disabling system restore. I let it run through that once, and then disabled system restore to run it through again. Apparently you need system restore disabled to clean blaster properly.

We'll see if I have it I guess. I suppose it's always possible I could have something else too. My connection got very slow sometimes tonight, on both dial-up and DSL, but seemed worse on DSL. I've had slowdown problems before on DSL though, so didn't know what to think.

I'll see how this second scan here runs.

Blarg
07-11-2005, 07:19 AM
Well, the second scan said again that there was no blaster virus. Strange. I wonder if it could have had anything to do with the boxing torrents I was downloading. Not watching, just downloading. I was seeding some, too. But that's never been a problem before, and I've done quite a bit of it. And as noted, I hadn't actually watched any of my recent downloads, so nothing got executed on my end.

This sure is weird. I downloaded and used Microsoft's malicious software removal tool, and that didn't find anything either. So that, the fixblast.exe, and Norton all found nothing. Maybe I should rest easy, but so far, that's not easy. I don't know why the problem either began or ended.

Blarg
07-11-2005, 11:14 PM
Now that my torrents are all done, everything seems fine again. Funny, because before, even after I shut off my torrents and rebooted -- it wasn't fine.

I guess I'll just have to see what happens.