PDA

View Full Version : Sore loser getting angry with me- wtf??!!

seahawktd
07-11-2005, 02:22 AM
I was playing poker the other day and to put a long story short, I raise this guy on the flop with my top pair top kicker. Two running hearts came to make 4 hearts and this lady who i raised off the pot starts yelling at me, saying she had the Ace of hearts.

I was like, uhh sorry(she was an old lady, i do respect my elders). then she kept grumbling and giving me evil stares. cripes sakes. It went on for about an entire orbit. What the hell's wrong with people??

random
07-11-2005, 02:30 AM
I'm surprised I haven't heard that one before. That's funny. Good story.

Photoc
07-11-2005, 02:54 AM
Did she then proceed to say "what a f'in JOPKE! If it wasn't for luck, I'd win every one!"

shant
07-11-2005, 03:27 AM
You should've vomited all over yourself without breaking eye contact with her. Now let's see her talk [censored].

TomBrooks
07-11-2005, 03:56 AM
Why didn't you just tell her not to fold anymore?

Or how about saying, "You can't win it, if your not in it."

bernie
07-11-2005, 05:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was playing poker the other day and to put a long story short, I raise this guy on the flop with my top pair top kicker. Two running hearts came to make 4 hearts and this lady who i raised off the pot starts yelling at me, saying she had the Ace of hearts.

I was like, uhh sorry(she was an old lady, i do respect my elders). then she kept grumbling and giving me evil stares. cripes sakes. It went on for about an entire orbit. What the hell's wrong with people??

[/ QUOTE ]

I find these reactions highly entertaining. They really help break up the monotany of the table during the day.

b

disjunction
07-11-2005, 07:14 AM
She thinks you're playing a version of bingo where you can randomly snatch someone else's card, rip it up, and throw it to the ground (at miniscule profit to yourself).

Stay away from my bingo cards, seahawktd, you just stay away.

MicroBob
07-11-2005, 09:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I find these reactions highly entertaining. They really help break up the monotany of the table during the day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm mostly the opposite.
I try to find the entertainment value in these types of reactions and I know that these players are obviously +EV to have in my game.
But I just get annoyed, and almost depressed, by seeing grown adults act like freaking babies.
It just bugs me that people can be, and are, that rude to each other.
And we're talking REALLY freaking rude.

I've played at the Bellagio 4 or 5 times in my last 2 weeks out here and EVERY single night I've been at a table where at least one incident developed that involved a couple people (or more) getting down-right nasty with each other.

I like to think that I generally get along with other people....and I just can't understand all this bickering and other crap.

I guess everyone thinks they deserve to win and when they get beaten by someone else at their table they freaking whine and bitch and get confrontational, etc etc.

I think that the crowded conditions in the Bellagio room (always someone bumping your chair if you happen to be sitting at the wrong 8/16 table) exaggerate the problem and just make everyone all the more testy. And obviously the alcohol is a factor too.

But for the most part it is just a-holes acting like a-holes. Only takes one or two I guess...obviously most people are fairly nice and pleasant.

In the situation that original poster described....old lady obviously felt she deserved to be in that hand if you hadn't been so rude as to actually raise.
There really are people who take offense to aggressive play.

I played a 7-card stud game while waiting for a hold-em seat and this one lady was bitching me out for raising because she was trying to get everyone at the table to play for the bad-beat jackpot hand. It was all she talked about. She truly believed that we should just be playing for the jackpot because that's where the real money is and she was pretty upset that I raised a decent hand and actually made her fold.

People are weird.

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-11-2005, 09:53 AM
I'm a fan of a simple something along the lines of "you gotta hang on to those".

coffeecrazy1
07-11-2005, 10:16 AM
I like something simple here, too, like:

"I'm sorry...I thought this game paid on the flop. I was surprised as hell when two more cards came flying out."

belloc
07-11-2005, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a fan of a simple something along the lines of "you gotta hang on to those".

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is good. If you must comment, something simple, not insulting, but re-affirming of bad play is not a bad way to go.

My own sore loser story: the other day I had two hands in one orbit at a 6/12 HE table where I had a guy beat preflop (one was AK vs A3, the other KQ vs K9). In both cases he flops two pair, and in both cases the board paired on the end higher than his kicker to give me the best hand.

He got really sore with me, especially after the second one. This was the third pretty big pot I'd won that orbit, and one player says, "Man, we gotta throw some water on Brian to cool him off." The guy who suffered the 'bad beats' says, "Naw, I'll just go get my gun and shoot him." The table got really tense, and he quickly realized that he could get himself in big trouble issuing fake threats like that (especially with a really pissy look on his face), so he flashed me a smile to reassure the table that he wasn't serious.

Still, when he went outside to his car to get some cash for a new rack, everyone kept one eye on the door just in case.

TheJunkyardGod
07-11-2005, 12:22 PM
Whenever any gets mad at me for betting them out of a hand, only to have their hand come out at the end. I usually tell them something like

"Well it's a good thing you folded, there was no way I could beat a flush like that!"

That tends to get them really mad.

PokerBob
07-11-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What the hell's wrong with people??

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the long and short of it is that most people need to be killed. I firmly believe this.

revots33
07-11-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Was it the old lady from the PartyPoker commercials?

whiskeytown
07-11-2005, 12:47 PM
could be drugs/alcohol - even for old ladies

I got real mad last night in a limit tourney - LOL - kept typing chump in various slurred ways - wonder if I still have chat privliges on Doyle's Room....

RB

KenProspero
07-11-2005, 12:53 PM
I had a similar situation the other day in a 2-4.

Wound up in a pot where I had a gutshot to the nut straight. The pot was about 15 big bets so I called the turn for 1 bet. Hit the straight, had the nuts, and got into a small betting war with the original better.

When I turned my cards, I was hit with a torrent of profanity about how one NEVER draws to an inside straight and I must be the worst poker player in the world, etc etc etc.

I just looked at the guy, smiled and agreed with him and said that I just got lucky, and have a lot to learn.

sekrah
07-11-2005, 12:53 PM
At a 2-4 game at AC Harrah's Saturday afternoon, I get pocket Queens.. raise it up preflop.

Flop comes 4-Q-4. There's two others involved, I get two calls on the turn, but both of them folded on the river. The pot only got to about $30-$35.

An old lady who was limping into about every pot, and who folded preflop to my raise started swearing, "God damnit! I folded Q-4!!".. I just hang my head and feel sick to my stomach and I said, "You're welcome." She said, "For what?" "You can thank me for raising preflop". "Why?" and I throw the Queens face up into the muck and she got all excited. Couldn't help myself.

She started laying down to more of my raises later on though, so maybe it paid off.

Luv2DriveTT
07-11-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
She started laying down to more of my raises later on though, so maybe it paid off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most good players like to profit from opponents who hopelessly call to the river with losing hands. Think about that for a while...

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

sekrah
07-11-2005, 01:45 PM
Except for the fact I took down a decent pot later on when me and this woman were heads up on the river and I pushed her low pair out with a busted draw.

"He always bets when he has something good. He probably has the King."

I guess I'm just special, that's all.

Boris
07-11-2005, 02:39 PM
These kind of people are what make live poker so much fun.

bernie
07-11-2005, 03:04 PM
One of my pet peeves that applies to this is the idiots who complain about the suckouts. Berating the other players over and over, yet it's perfectly fine if they do it. That's what I get kind of tired of hearing.

But I'm pretty much used to the usual typical bickering that you describe. As you said, grown men acting like babies = poker.

When someone bitches at me for bumping them out of the pot, I just tell them they should've gotten some balls and called. I might also throw in that I was trying to build a pot for them so where were they? What were they thinking? They only like dragging small pots?;)

[ QUOTE ]
There really are people who take offense to aggressive play

[/ QUOTE ]

yep. And I love them in my game. I love seeing that constipated look on their face. Their desperation to snap someone off as they are grasping at anything to try to calm the game down.

[ QUOTE ]
It just bugs me that people can be, and are, that rude to each other.
And we're talking REALLY freaking rude.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, it does bring out the ugly side in people. Especially when they're losing a great portion of their savings in the process.

Poker isn't pretty like they make it look on TV. It can be an ugly, brutal game.

b

Tom1975
07-11-2005, 03:54 PM
My standard line is:

"Given a choice between your respect and your chips, I'll take your chips"

other1
07-11-2005, 04:14 PM
Let me get this straight.. You played what you thought was the best hand postflop aggressively and got someone who potentially could have sucked out on you to fold before they had the chance...

In other words.. This lady was angry at you for having a basic understanding of how to play poker? I say kick her in the head. Were she younger I would have said something else, but I too respect my elders.

wayabvpar
07-11-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There really are people who take offense to aggressive play

yep. And I love them in my game. I love seeing that constipated look on their face.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha! That is the perfect description too.

BottlesOf
07-11-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was like, uhh sorry(she was an old lady, i do respect my elders)

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't respect that one.

MonkeeMan
07-11-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
lady who i raised off the pot starts yelling at me, saying she had the Ace of hearts.

[/ QUOTE ]

"That's why I raised, Sweetheart".