PDA

View Full Version : is this a mistake?

Mikey
02-14-2003, 01:12 AM
3-6 game

1 limper I raise with A /forums/images/icons/heart.gif Q /forums/images/icons/heart.gif , everyone folds to SB who calls. BB calls. UTG limper calls.

flop comes

10 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/club.gif

SB bets, BB folds, UTG folds,

what is your play?

Peel one off or is folding here okay?

SB- tight player, who bets good hands, and good draws.

Dynasty
02-14-2003, 01:39 AM
It sure is tough to defend against semi-bluffs.

Wingnut
02-14-2003, 11:46 AM
My thought would be that I'm getting 9:1, so I don't think I'm folding yet. I might raise (if he's tight enough to lay down a draw to constant pressure) and fold to a re-raise. If he calls, I'd probably fold to a turn bet, even if I improved because I'm probably drawing dead. The pressure may buy you a free trip to the river (probably on a blown check-raise).

Dynasty
02-14-2003, 05:52 PM
I'd probably fold to a turn bet, even if I improved because I'm probably drawing dead.

What do you think your opponents bet on a Td,9d,7c flop?

Wingnut
02-14-2003, 06:12 PM
Coming out of the SB, 86 is certainly a possibility. Maybe drawing dead was the wrong choice of terms, but drawing very slim. T9, 97, T7 have two pair already. I would see a turn bet into a twice-raiser as a made hand, and the best I could hope to have on the turn would be top pair.

Thinking about it further, I suppose that if I improved on the turn, I should still have 8 outs against two pair, although I don't know what 3 of those outs would be. So, yes, drawing dead was a poor choice of words. I guess you're advocating check-calling the turn and river as the best plan of action?

Also, a lot of my thinking was predicated on his description of the player as being tightish that bets good hands. For an average player I don't think I would be as apt to fold if I improved, as they could be betting with only top pair.

Dynasty
02-14-2003, 06:42 PM
my thinking was predicated on his description of the player as being tightish that bets good hands.

...and good draws.

Also, is a tight player calling a pre-flop raise with 86 or T7?

SheridanCat
02-15-2003, 11:43 AM
I would raise here. He's either on a semi-bluff, as Dynasty notes, or he's got overcards. Maybe he has top pair, but I'm not too afraid of that.

Since he called a raise, I don't put him on the crummy cards needed to make the straight. Maybe he has four to an open-ended straight.

In any case, make him pay to draw.

Regards,

T

angelo alba
02-17-2003, 01:48 AM
I've got it! He's got J-8 of Diamonds ! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Just kidding. Ok, so he's tight and he's called a limp and a raise from SB. It ain't NL so we can forget about small and medium pairs. (Oh, dear he could have made a set with pocket 10's)

Now the is he aggressive? Raise and find out. Question is what will you do if he re-raises? And, if you're unimproved by the turn what do you do when he bets out? Or, if he checks will you bet?

If he's got top pair then HE's making YOU pay to draw, isn't he? Ditto with A9 suited. For that matter if he's on a draw with AJs or A8s (ok the latter is a bit less probable ) will you continue to bet and raise to the river?

Say, he might have AKo, that too would be a semi bluff; well sort of. I mean he'd practically have to bet on the flop with AKo and risk the rags having made someone else a straight or top pair, er...wouldn't he?

Dynasty: What hands would you put him on, and how would you play the subsequent action?

Dynasty
02-17-2003, 03:49 AM
Dynasty: What hands would you put him on, and how would you play the subsequent action?

If this opponent is capable of semi-bluffing, then you can't put him on a small reliable range of hands. He could have a flush draw with diamonds, a straight draw with an 8, a pair and a straight draw, a pair, a set, and even more.

That's why it's so hard to defend against semi-bluffs. You're in a tough spot with AhQh. The correct post-flop play isn't clear at all.

Louie Landale
02-24-2003, 02:37 PM
If there had been a call you are almost surely drawing and are getting a paltry 9:1 for your 7:1 pair draw; not enough to warrant a call (since your pair will lose a lot even when you make it). Thus, folding would be a prime option.

As it is you are dead last heads-up and can very reasonably have the best hand, and if not are almost definately drawing to a winning top pair (players tend NOT to bet two-pair or better in this spot). Thus, folding seems out of the question. On the other hand, if he DOES have "just" a draw its likely to be a good one (such as KJd) rather than a normal one (like K8h or K2d), so even if you ARE a favorite its not by a lot. Thus, raising "for value" does not look good.

Raising is NOT out of the question, however, so long as [1] this opponent WILL react naturally to your raise (i.e. he won't bet or raise again unless he has 2 pair or better), AND [2] your raise prevents him from making a successful semi-steal bet on the turn. If he is NOT going to semi-steal on the turn even if you flat call, you might as well flat call.

I'd say call, and sweat it out on the turn.

Note: I would also flat-call, hehehe, if I DID have the big pair, figuring to zap him on the turn.

- Louie