PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Dennis, trackingtheeye.net and avoiding Florida real estate

Matt Flynn
07-10-2005, 10:39 PM
For all you hurricane buffs, go to www.trackingtheeye.net (http://www.trackingtheeye.net) to download an excellent program for following up-to-date satellite images, storm intensity forecasts and so forth.

And a nonsequetorial repeat: www.optoutprescreen.com (http://www.optoutprescreen.com) to stop unwanted "preapproved" credit card solicitations (yes, it is real, even if the website looks like a phishery).

In 1989 I taught as a section instructor for Atmospheric Chemistry at Harvard. Interesting how the models then predicted a lot of what is happening now in terms of global warming and other effects. Only we are here faster. I have one thing to say on this subject, and that is I have decided not to buy any property in Florida. Oh and the other thing is North Carolina's Outer Banks are screwed and within the younger 2+2er's lifetimes the Gulf current will no longer flow up the Atlantic seacoast in the summer, wreaking havoc on weather and fisheries. Oh and Bangladesh will be underwater and they will have to dyke Manhattan.

Back to your regular programming..... Take a look at trackingtheeye.net - nicely done software.

Matt

theredpill9
07-10-2005, 10:53 PM
what ?

You taught at harvard and now you are hanging out at OOT ? WTF

Matt Flynn
07-10-2005, 11:03 PM
i blame poker.

Terrabon98
07-10-2005, 11:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

In 1989 I taught as a section instructor for Atmospheric Chemistry at Harvard. Interesting how the models then predicted a lot of what is happening now in terms of global warming and other effects. Only we are here faster.

What do you mean when you say we are here faster? I was under the impression that these types of hurricanes are commonplace throughout the summer in Florida and along the coastline...weren't Andrew and Hugo and even Ivan much more devastating than Dennis?

fsuplayer
07-10-2005, 11:33 PM
"I have one thing to say on this subject, and that is I have decided not to buy any property in Florida."

a very bad non-move IMO.

if you can find a deal anywhere on the FL coast, you are making a mistake in not investing in it.

myself, a friend, and my dad just bought a piece of land in march for $270k and a similar one, a street over, just sold for $400k.

i cant wait til i have more money to invest further.

Biloxi
07-10-2005, 11:44 PM
Yep FLA property is gold. No one thinks about hurricanes when they visit FLA.
maybe SHARKS! but not canes /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dennis turned at the last few hours and saved us. Sucks for all those who just rebuilt over in cola area.

Zeno
07-11-2005, 12:56 AM
The Bangladesh problem has been known about for decades by any compedent geologist. They have arsenic in the water supply also, and about 100 other things wrong with the country, from political to physical. The place is doomed.

Personally I can't wait for the Mississippi to change course and flow down the Atchafalaya. The Corp of Engineers will not be able to hold it back forever.

Some information from Wikipedia:

"The Atchafalaya has served periodically as the main channel of the Mississippi through the process of delta switching, which has built the extensive delta plain of the river. Since the early 20th century, because of manmade alterations in the channel, the Mississippi has sought to change its main channel to Atchafalaya. By law a regulated proportion of the water from the Mississippi is diverted into the Atchafalaya at the Old River Control Structure."

Good Link with information (http://www2.sjsu.edu/faculty/watkins/oldriver.htm)

And what's this with you slacking and backsliding by playing poker. This is disgusting, get back to doing science - you wimp.

Anyway, it is good news to me that the world is swiftly moving towards unparalleled disaster. No oil, global warming, rivers jumping about, super storms, wars, economic turmoil, etc. This is a great time to be alive.

Le Misanthrope

squeek12
07-11-2005, 01:23 AM
Read "State of Fear" by Michaeal Crichton tree hugging hippie, or "The Skeptical Environmentalist: Measuring the Real State of the World", by Bjorn Lomborg for a non-fiction refutation of the global warming theory.