PDA

View Full Version : hand vs. stox

DcifrThs
07-10-2005, 08:54 PM
i dont know what i like least about this hand...

first hand at a table. 6 handed. stox opens from the CO

i have ATo and call (? im pretty sure this is a 3bet if not, its close...but i called)

flop comes Khigh w/ 2 raggedy hearts. i have no hearts. i check stox bets i call (? c'r here, he'll bet anything he opens w/ in the co for the most part). he may fold a pair on the turn to a bet if i c'r this + in worst case scenario i have no outs for all intents and purposes but i think more likely have outs IF im behind here at all.

turn is a blank non heart. i check intending to call. stox cheks.

river is Ah. i bet.

i basically dont likeanything here except the river b/c im pretty sure he calls w/ more than he bets if i check. the problem is what if he raises?

comments. river action if he raises?

-Barron

sam h
07-10-2005, 09:20 PM
I would definitely three bet preflop and if I played it as you did, I would grit my teeth and call a river raise.

What do you think about leading the turn?

DcifrThs
07-10-2005, 09:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would definitely three bet preflop and if I played it as you did, I would grit my teeth and call a river raise.

What do you think about leading the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think its a possibility. if i was stox though id be likely to put me on a hand id fold to a raise though. and this hand is showdown worthy a lot of the time at this point.

-Barron

Dantes
07-10-2005, 10:39 PM
worlds easiest river checkraise

DanZ
07-10-2005, 11:14 PM
I would be inclined to think a river check is in order:

If he has an ace, he will bet and you do not face a raise from AJ/AQ, so you make just as much.
If he has nothing, he will bluff this card at least sometimes.
If he was slowplaying on the turn or just made a flush, you save facing a raise.
If he has a strong king, he will likely bet here, but he would also bet the turn, so we can rule this out.

The only time betting is superior is if he has a calling hand that he won't bet.
I don't think this is very likely since he probably would bet the turn with any pair. A good player may not make this bet with pocket queens or jacks, but few other single pairs should check. It might be reasonable to check a weak king here also, but I suspect few players do this very often.

I don't think a pre-flop 3 bet is mandatory at all, but since you did not, I would check-raise this flop fairly often, esp if you have a heart.

As far as calling a river raise, the short answer is you shouldn't put yourself in that spot. The other answer is anyone could very easily raise with the same hand or a worse ace, since it would be easy to put you on a king when you called the flop, and didn't 3 bet before the flop, so I wouldn't often fold to the river raise.

Dan Z.

tpir90036
07-11-2005, 12:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...this hand is showdown worthy a lot of the time at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't get it. Did you plan on calling the turn and the river unimproved if stox bet?

bicyclekick
07-11-2005, 12:46 AM
Sometimes I like betting out those flops more than anything actually.

Sometimes I 3 bet pre-flop and sometimes I call.

River is a good bet, and if raised, call.

Stox has been checking a lot of made hands (not talking monsters...just pairs and such) behind on the turn lately...least vs me.

Clarkmeister
07-11-2005, 12:48 AM
I admit to thinking how awesome it is how you guys dissect each others' game and tendancies here for all to observe. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

rigoletto
07-11-2005, 12:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I admit to thinking how awesome it is how you guys dissect each others' game and tendancies here for all to observe. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

bicyclekick
07-11-2005, 01:01 AM
Yeah. I'm OK with that because even though it may be giving something away, it has gained me ten fold talking with those other fine players.