PDA

View Full Version : Raising in Late Position

Mikey
02-13-2003, 10:40 PM
I'm starting to reread some of my old poker books to see how my play today compares to what is written in these very good books.

I decided to start with the first book "Hold'em Poker" by David Sklansky.

ON pg. 43 he talks about late position and to raise with almost any hand that is worth a call after there have been a few callers in front of you.

It states,

"It is especially important to raise if you think that this raise will fold everyone behind you The acquistion of last position for the succeeding rounds is worth some risks. Besides being in last position, your raise had prodded your opponent to "check to the raiser" on the flop, thus giving you the valuable privilege of seeing the fourth card for free, if you so desire. Thus, you don't need much of a hand to raise in late or last position. In fact, I raise in this spot with some hands that I fold in early position."

Some hands that he lists to raise with that I normally limp with in late position include

TT, AJs KQs, 99, JTs, QJs, KJs, ATs, AQ, T9s, 88, QTs, 98s, J9s, KTs

KQ- I fold
AJ- I fold

Also he doesn't mention exactly how many people limped in.....am i giving up much by limping with these hands and not raising or should I be raising in a typical 10-20 game.

Mikey
02-14-2003, 01:09 AM
Should you raise with these hands.....when you think that they will all be (checking to you) on the flop or should you raise with these hands when often times (you will be bet into) on the flop.

Which is more optimal and why?

Dynasty
02-14-2003, 01:36 AM
Sklansky explicitly states the key reasons for rasing in the book. You even typed the passage out.

It's stunning that you are folding KQo and AJo in late position. That's insane. It's really hard to believe you are playing so tight that you throw away good hands in good position.

It's almost as surprising that you aren't raising with KQs, AJs, ATs, and TT. And, it's mildly surprising that you dont' raise with KJs, QJs, KTs, QTs, and JTs. Hell, I raise pre-flop with KQs and AJs regardless of position and # of callers in every type of game.

You should be routinely rasiing in late position with two suited broadway cards regardless of how many limpers there are ahead of you.

Ed Miller
02-14-2003, 01:38 AM
Failing to raise with many of these hands is a moderate to large mistake. So is folding AJo and KQo.

If you didn't raise with J9s 98s T9s or 88 sometimes, then I think that's fine. Your default play in late position with all the other hands should be to raise, and with most of them it's not even close.

SoBeDude
02-14-2003, 07:58 PM
I'm suprised to see you fold KQ and AJ as well. One thing I have done is depending on the table, I've stopped raising with these two if I have more than one or two callers in front.

Remember in a "typical" game, after your pre-flop raise they will usually check to you on the flop. This gives you tremendous power. You can take the free card if you're on a draw. Also if you think the flop missed everyone, a bet here will often win you the pot.

Also if someone bets in to you on the flop you know they've hit their hand. I'd says its rarely a bluff given your preflop strength. Your raise has given you valuable information here.

Also remember to raise with all those hands if you are first in. You will often win the blinds right there and even if you don't, you'll have great position for the rest of the hand.

Hope this helps!

-Scott

Mike Gallo
02-14-2003, 11:37 PM
Some hands that he lists to raise with that I normally limp with in late position include
TT, AJs KQs, 99, JTs, QJs, KJs, ATs, AQ, T9s, 88, QTs, 98s, J9s, KTs

What would you raise with then. Please answer that.

If you dont play these hands you mentioned in late position, how would you play them in early position?

Basically you are saying you only play AA AK KK QQ JJ.

See you at the Taj
mk