PDA

View Full Version : $22: 7-handed, KTo on the button vs. a ministack in the BB

spentrent
07-10-2005, 05:48 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t515)
SB (t1110)
BB (t180)
UTG (t790)
MP1 (t2610)
MP2 (t1540)
CO (t1255)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Folded to Hero, Hero ???

I pushed here hoping to isolate the small stack in the BB. I figured that my stack needed the positive equity -- KTo is a 3 to 2 fave over a random hand. Good move? Or too marginal compared to a future steal attempt?

citanul
07-10-2005, 05:52 PM
i push here every time. stealing is nice and all, but i don't avoid the short stacks in these situations where you're a significant favorite over the random hand. remember that if you wait to steal, you'll have to push through that guy unless you or someone else eliminates him. your stack isn't great here, and you really need to pick up some chips, why not try to get them while a favorite?

citanul

MagnoliasFM
07-10-2005, 05:53 PM
KT is premium compared to other hands that you should push in this spot. I was going to berate you for posting a bad beat because you were obviously called and busted by the SB, but I noticed that you had 12038572085718459 posts so I'll just shut up.

spentrent
07-10-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
KT is premium compared to other hands that you should push in this spot. I was going to berate you for posting a bad beat because you were obviously called and busted by the SB, but I noticed that you had 12038572085718459 posts so I'll just shut up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice use of praeteritio there, Cicero.

I have no idea what the result of the hand was. If KTo is premium, then what is marginal? K2o?

MagnoliasFM
07-10-2005, 06:08 PM
You're getting laid 1.3 to 1 and it's been folded to you in the button and you have 5x the BB and the stakes will rise in a few hands. I'm not a math person but intuition tells me to push here with top 80-90% of hands. If the BB has shown any inclination to fold here, (you'd be surprised how often this happens at $22s) 72o is an auto-push.

citanul
07-10-2005, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're getting laid 1.3 to 1 and it's been folded to you in the button and you have 5x the BB and the stakes will rise in a few hands. I'm not a math person but intuition tells me to push here with top 80-90% of hands. If the BB has shown any inclination to fold here, (you'd be surprised how often this happens at $22s) 72o is an auto-push.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm surprised because people in the bb do fold >0% of the time here, but it is not a significant or expected occurrence. pushing the top 80-90% of hands here i think is probably a very bad idea.

citanul

curtains
07-10-2005, 06:13 PM
Clear clear clear allin. I would move allin with much worse as well.

microbet
07-10-2005, 06:33 PM
I think it's an easy push.

As for what hands to push with, I think you still slightly better than average holdings. T8 - Q4 - 78s - stuff like that.

2callzU
07-10-2005, 06:49 PM
As a side thought. In this situation does one actually want a call, or does one really just want the SB and BB's money? And if one just wants the money, would it make SB/BB less inclined to call if he raised it to say 400? Less inclined that is, because of the fact that they don't see that you're "all in" and can knock you out. I don't think this is the best scenario to be asking about this move, but does any scenario justify this move while shortstacked or is it just stupid? My prediction is that the consensus will be with the former but let's hear it somebody. Peace.