PDA

View Full Version : anything wrong with my SNG strategy?

wutevahung
07-10-2005, 05:46 PM
i have been playing a lot of 30+3s
most of times, i am in the top 5 and then i would get into the money 1/3 of the times, but then most of times i am short stacked by the time when its 5 handed, so can anyone tell me what i m doing wrong?
i m a really really tight player in SNGs, especially in the early levels, i only start jacking blinds when its 50/100
i only play low pockets, aj aq, kq, at, kq and kj for no raise, and if its late position i would raise with them to jack blinds, ( not with KJ and KQ or low pockets)
if people raise in front of me, no matter what is the raise, i fold all the hands above (before 5 handed)
because i think i can go all in when i have it, when i have them beat. even if i have AK, i would fold preflop is someone reraises me, because he might have me beat, if i call the reraise then i would have to put more chips in the middle on the flop to find out if he has me beat after the flop.
so due to my extremely tight plays, i almost survive to top 5 every single time but would lose because most of time i m not the tall stack.
even if i m the tall stack, i m still reallly tight because i m scared to double people up and lose my chips.
my theory for SNG is to let people go at it on each other so i wouldnt have to risk much.
but it has gotten me lately that maybe i should be more aggressive and play more hands because being that tight is hard to get first, what do you guys think?

citanul
07-10-2005, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i have been playing a lot of 30+3s most of times, i am in the top 5 and then i would get into the money 1/3 of the time

[/ QUOTE ]

stopped reading there. yes, there is something wrong with your strategy.

citanul

2callzU
07-10-2005, 06:05 PM
*pity response*

citanul
07-10-2005, 06:06 PM
yeah, i kinda pity him too, but not really.

citanul

fwiw, if you go and find the post by benfranklin called something like "beating the party 10+1, version 2," there's fairly extensive discussion about players who feel that they are always winding up with a tiny little stack in the late game, and that is due to the fault of their super tight strategy, and that it sucks. from what i recall at least. i think i participated.

valenzuela
07-10-2005, 06:12 PM
to the OP:ure basically doing things right when ppl call u an idiot and an all-in donk.( if ppl call u an idiot and an all-in donk on level 3 or less u are actualy an idiot)

minwoo
07-10-2005, 06:15 PM
Can i get your username...please?

PrayingMantis
07-10-2005, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my theory for SNG is to let people go at it on each other so i wouldnt have to risk much.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a very good theory if you want to have as many 3rd-5th finishes as possible. Otherwise, you should open up your game.

rydazzle
07-10-2005, 06:25 PM
How/where did you develop this approach?

HOH2 explains "zones" pretty well, you should check it out.

wutevahung
07-10-2005, 06:48 PM
can you show me an related post or article about the zone please? thank you
and can someone help me find the "beating the party 10+1, version 2", i cant find it, thanks

wutevahung
07-10-2005, 06:53 PM
I dont really go all in that much, i said all in meant by later when blinds are big and since most of the time i am the short stack so i had to go all in with the best hand, but that is not until like level 5 or 6. in the beginning i would reraise with the best hand with a fair amount of chips, but unless i have AA or KK i rarely get myself committed preflop.
in fact i have been a winning 30+3 player, but just progress really slowly so i wonder if i am doing anything wrong, i guess i am just doing everything wrong since everyone fired at me ahahha, i guess i will learn more and change my style, thanks for the help people /images/graemlins/wink.gif

2callzU
07-10-2005, 06:56 PM
beating the party 10+1 part 2 (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=602767&page=&view=&sb =5&o=)
I should probably make you look for it but here read this and don't post for a while. Then come back rejuvinated with a Chris Moneymaker poker face, some fossil glasses, and a shirt that says "I'm a groupie" on it. Peace.

valenzuela
07-10-2005, 07:00 PM
ure not doing everything wrong, its just ure endgame is poor.

Blarg
07-10-2005, 09:58 PM
Your strategy is a beginner's strategy that with normal attentiveness and lack of utter foolishness can get you a ITM of at least 38% in the long run, and lots of third places. Unfortunately, it won't get you many first places, and that's where the money is in SNG's. You can actually have a great ITM and be losing money VERY quickly in SNG's.

You say you're still tight when there are five people left. That's the time when you're actually supposed to be taking advantage of other people's tightness. So that's a key flaw in your play.

You'll also have more trouble stealing if you're going after the blinds as early as level 3 with just AT and AJ, as well as showing people(even without raising or stealing) that you're willing to play with KQ and KJ, especially if you do so from early position on the latter. It's not that there's not value in doing so, but that you've alerted people that stealing blinds is not only what you're all about, but that you're willing to do it so early with comparatively so little that you must really be in love with the idea. That will make them more likely to call you when you need to get away with steals later on. At which point you might win, but what you probably really want more than to double up on a speculative or crappy hand is just to get away with stealing blinds without being challenged. If you're showing people early on that you play mediocre hands and like to steal, it can only lead to them being more likely to call you later. Which by and large will probably cost you money.

You might make some small amounts stealing early, and all chips are good, but getting those extra 45 chips once in a while might cost you 1300 and the whole tourney later on when you get called on the bubble -- EVEN IF you're holding the best hand. You might want to think about what you sacrifice later for a small gain now.

Anyway, it sounds like you might be too aggressive early and too passive late. You should flip those around and think about being more passive early and more aggressive later.